The Northern Alliance

RGStory

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Oklahoma
Didn't take long for the Afghanistan civil war against the Taliban to begin.

Ahmad Massoud has organized a resistance to the Taliban in the Panjshir Province of Afghanistan and started flying the Northern Alliance Flag again.

Does anyone have any information or experience dealing with this this group?

^^^Theres a good bit about them in another post I put up I think it was 'Mabey theres hope for Astan'

From what i read to little to late , as most of ex Northern alliance druglords/warlords fled the country. Not only that the problem is at least till evacuation is complete there is no way any significant aid would be provided to these folks .

By the way any wagers on how Taliban finances will look in the future, throughout the war it was primarily Gulf money, followed by Pakistani money , US contracts and finally drug trade .

Will them winning the war, now reflect in more money from the gulf? Now that syphoning/taxing US supplies and projects is of the table there is a considerable shortfall on that end.

There was a reason the Taliban killed the "Lion of Panjshir" hours before the 9/11 attacks took place.

And there is a reason why the Triple Nickel and others were able to roll up the Taliban in weeks.

But whether they will survive a Taliban with $800 Billion in our weapons systems... is a good question.

Fortunately, it is not our problem. Until the next time they assist someone in flying planes into our buildings. I think they will be smarter than that this time. And merely oppress and kill their own people. In which case, we won't give a damn.

Sirhr

Reactions: 6.5SH

Ah. Sorry Maggot, I missed that thread. I looked to see if there was anything already posted, but missed it.

I saw the Taliban gave them four hours to surrender today. They sent this message among others to the Taliban via social media in response:

"These mountains will remain forever
These river will flew forever.

Anyone who wants to conquer #panjshir valley ask this question from yourself
do you the power to conquer the mountains?
Do you have power to stop River?

If you do then you win
If not go to hell"

Reactions: camocorvette
There was a reason the Taliban killed the "Lion of Panjshir" hours before the 9/11 attacks took place.

And there is a reason why the Triple Nickel and others were able to roll up the Taliban in weeks.

But whether they will survive a Taliban with $800 Billion in our weapons systems... is a good question.

Fortunately, it is not our problem. Until the next time they assist someone in flying planes into our buildings. I think they will be smarter than that this time. And merely oppress and kill their own people. In which case, we won't give a damn.

Sirhr

Yes, I remember reading about that assassination in the news the morning of 9/11 while on the way to work.

Interestingly, his son is the one leading the resistance. He attained a degree in war studies from War Studies at King's College London and is saying that he has been preparing the province since last September. Looks like he saw the writing on the wall and started digging in.

Ah. Sorry Maggot, I missed that thread. I looked to see if there was anything already posted, but missed it.

I saw the Taliban gave them four hours to surrender today. They sent this message among others to the Taliban via social media in response:

"These mountains will remain forever
These river will flew forever.

Anyone who wants to conquer #panjshir valley ask this question from yourself
do you the power to conquer the mountains?
Do you have power to stop River?

If you do then you win
If not go to hell"
Beautiful! I like the way the Spartans put it...

A prominent example involves Philip II of Macedon. After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, he turned his attention to Sparta and asked menacingly whether he should come as friend or foe. The reply was "Neither."[3]

Losing patience, he sent the message:

If I invade Laconia, I shall turn you out.[4]
The Spartan ephors again replied with a single word:

If.[5]

Maggot hold your Spartans , call me cynical this looks like fake news, WaPo blowing some war support propaganda around. ( US media circuit is absolute trash, is literally interviewing every neocon warmonger they can find and the 17 intelligence agencies are barely keeping up serving up narrative control leaks to the willing media)

So far at least what can be read from non US media reports its far from some anti-Taliban coalition that would take them on ,and it also doesnt look like Ahamad did any of the commanding of the fighting so far. He is a CEO of a non profit NGO co-founded with his uncle infamous money bag man so color me skeptical.

''in one astonishing incident in October 2009 the then vice-president, Ahmad Zia Massoud, was stopped and questioned in Dubai when he flew into the emirate with $52m in cash, according to one diplomatic report. Massoud, the younger brother of the legendary anti-Soviet resistance leader Ahmad Shah Massoud, was detained by officials from the US and the United Arab Emirates trying to stop money laundering, it says.
However, the vice-president was allowed to go on his way without explaining where the money came from.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/02/wikileaks-elite-afghans-millions-cash

In any case this will be interesting to follow as Taliban have to stomp this out while they have the momentum and before anyone else wants to play games and preferably before the pull out is complete as that more or less prevents any US airstrikes in support of this faction.

Does this sound like some gung-ho coalition itching to kick some Taliban ass let alone retake Afghanistan?

'' Ahmad Massoud, whose forces control the last major anti-Taliban holdout, said on Sunday he hoped to hold talks peacefully with the group that seized power in Kabul a week ago but that his forces were ready to fight.

“We want to make the Taliban realize that the only way forward is through negotiation,” he told Reuters news agency by telephone from his stronghold in the Panjshir Valley, where he has gathered forces made up of remnants of regular army units and special forces as well as local militia fighters.

“We do not want a war to break out.”

Massoud, son of Ahmad Shah Massoud, one of the main leaders of Afghanistan’s anti-Soviet resistance in the 1980s, said his supporters were ready to fight if Taliban forces tried to invade the valley.''

In the only confirmed fighting since the fall of Kabul on August 15, anti-Taliban forces took back three districts in the northern province of Baghlan, bordering Panjshir, last week.

However, Massoud said he had not organised the operation which he said had been carried out by local militia groups reacting to “brutality” in the area.

Massoud called for an inclusive, broad-based government in Kabul representing all of Afghanistan’s different ethnic groups and said a “totalitarian regime” should not be recognised by the international community.

Last edited:
Maggot hold your Spartans , call me cynical this looks like fake news, WaPo blowing some war support propaganda around. ( US media circuit is absolute trash, is literally interviewing every neocon warmonger they can find and the 17 intelligence agencies are barely keeping up serving up narrative control leaks to the willing media)

So far at least what can be read from non US media reports its far from some anti-Taliban coalition that would take them on ,and it also doesnt look like Ahamad did any of the commanding of the fighting so far. He is a CEO of a non profit NGO co-founded with his uncle infamous money bag man so color me skeptical.

''in one astonishing incident in October 2009 the then vice-president, Ahmad Zia Massoud, was stopped and questioned in Dubai when he flew into the emirate with $52m in cash, according to one diplomatic report. Massoud, the younger brother of the legendary anti-Soviet resistance leader Ahmad Shah Massoud, was detained by officials from the US and the United Arab Emirates trying to stop money laundering, it says.
However, the vice-president was allowed to go on his way without explaining where the money came from.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/02/wikileaks-elite-afghans-millions-cash

In any case this will be interesting to follow as Taliban have to stomp this out while they have the momentum and before anyone else wants to play games and preferably before the pull out is complete as that more or less prevents any US airstrikes in support of this faction.

Does this sound like some gung-ho coalition itching to kick some Taliban ass let alone retake Afghanistan?

'' Ahmad Massoud, whose forces control the last major anti-Taliban holdout, said on Sunday he hoped to hold talks peacefully with the group that seized power in Kabul a week ago but that his forces were ready to fight.

“We want to make the Taliban realize that the only way forward is through negotiation,” he told Reuters news agency by telephone from his stronghold in the Panjshir Valley, where he has gathered forces made up of remnants of regular army units and special forces as well as local militia fighters.

“We do not want a war to break out.”

Massoud, son of Ahmad Shah Massoud, one of the main leaders of Afghanistan’s anti-Soviet resistance in the 1980s, said his supporters were ready to fight if Taliban forces tried to invade the valley.''

In the only confirmed fighting since the fall of Kabul on August 15, anti-Taliban forces took back three districts in the northern province of Baghlan, bordering Panjshir, last week.

However, Massoud said he had not organised the operation which he said had been carried out by local militia groups reacting to “brutality” in the area.

Massoud called for an inclusive, broad-based government in Kabul representing all of Afghanistan’s different ethnic groups and said a “totalitarian regime” should not be recognised by the international community.

We shall see.

The VP of Afghanistan posted the following from Pahjshir Valley a few hours ago:
"
Talibs have massed forces near the entrance of Panjshir a day after they got trapped in ambush zones of neighboring Andarab valley & hardly went out in one piece. Meanwhile Salang highway is closed by the forces of the Resistance. "There are terrains to be avoided". See you.
"

Initial reports I am reading looks like they let them enter and secure two check points before coming down behind the convoy and cutting them off. Best I can get though is some Indian news stations that are reporting on it. If they can hold out for a few days, they might see some aid come in from India and this could turn into a proxy war between Pakistan and India.

Reactions: DuneBoer
they were the folks the cia funded to fuck with the russians, and they ran the shitshow until the taliban took over (the first time).

Initial reports I am reading looks like they let them enter and secure two check points before coming down behind the convoy and cutting them off. Best I can get though is some Indian news stations that are reporting on it. If they can hold out for a few days, they might see some aid come in from India and this could turn into a proxy war between Pakistan and India.
God damnit, we gave the Towlys all that equipment and guns ...they should have gone to this guy.

I doubt theyll get help from India, they have their own problems with both Paki's and China.

Reactions: RGStory
''
Aug 23 (Reuters) – The Taliban were in position near the Panjshir valley and had retaken three districts in northern Afghanistan that fell to local militia groups last week, a spokesman said on Monday, though there were no confirmed reports of further fighting.

The districts of Bano, Deh Saleh, Pul e-Hesar in the northern province of Baghlan were taken by local militia groups last week in one of the first signs of armed resistance to the Taliban since their seizure of the capital Kabul on Aug. 15.

By Monday, Taliban forces had cleared the districts and were established in Badakhshan, Takhar and Andarab near the Panjshir valley, according to the Twitter account of spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.

Zabihullah Mujahid said the Salang Pass, on the main highway running from southern Afghanistan to the north, was open and enemy forces were blockaded in the Panjshir valley. But his statement suggested there was no fighting for the moment.

“The Islamic Emirate is trying to resolve the problems peacefully,” Zabihullah said. ''