THE Question

zenbiker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
This is sure to ignite a lot of "discussion", so let me say up front, I realize I am a very small fry in a Large, Deep Sea of experience, and I pose this question with great respect to those who are pushing the envelope.

The question: Assuming you have a rifle capable of what I think of as ULR (beyond1500 Yards), such as a CheyTac, up to 50 BMG, precision built, and you are someone who is fortunate enough to practice daily, (here it is) what is the maximum yardage you feel is realistic for a first round hit? Let's further muddy the waters by saying that making this shot is of utmost importance (i.e., you have a case of beer wagered on it). One shot.

I ask this because I read members posts using downrange cameras (or as I all them, "electronic forward observers" ) to observe strikes and make sight adjustments. How about putting out your mat on the ground, ranging your target, using a good electronic ballistics system, dialing in your dope, and hitting your target with the intended effect. With the advent of new combination rangefinding/reticle correction systems that virtually guarantee first round hits out to 1200 yards with a 300 WinMag and are only bound to improve, where does the human factor fit in? We talk about station pressures, elevation, wind values, thermoclines, not to mention the shooter himself, as we build increasingly ballistically superior rifles at increasing cost, where do we draw the line between marksmanship and mortar fire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD