• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Night Vision Thermal Clip-on in Standalone Mode

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    Been running the Voodoo-ML through various rifle setups as a thermal clip-on, but thought I'd play around with the built-in reticles to use in standalone mode. Obviously with the demag it's kind of difficult to use without any magnification, but a simple pop-up magnifier does the trick, making the rig work as a 5x thermal scope. Obviously it's best used as a clip-on, as it can handle up to about 15x magnification on a day optic, but that takes a quite a bit more real estate and increased weight. I'm surprised how well it works in this case.

1727109607680.png

1727109651630.png

@Dogtown - Assuming you've put it through it's paces as a clip on at night, how is the image quality at 10-15x? Any issues clearly seeing / ID'ing targets like IPSC steel silhouettes at those power levels?

Image quality is outstanding, but I've only been shooting paper so far and spotting critters at night - night steel shoot is still a couple weeks away. Where the Voodoo seems to stand out with other BAE-core devices is the image processing software (and optical quality to a degree). 2x digital zoom is impressively clean - hence the 5x standalone mode is a very usable 10x with 2x digital zoom. Like the Oaysis devices, and unlike the NOX 35, the brightness can go low enough to use on a really dark night. Also, the built-in MARS/RAPTAR integration is really plug & play.

Honestly, I don't have high hopes of being able to spot unheated steel at night though. Passive thermal has never really been able to pull that off from my limited experience, with the steel tending to blend into the background. That's why I still use NV clip-ons almost exclusively, but I figured if I was going to give thermal another try I didn't want to be left wanting.

Reactions: nn8734
    I struggled to spot them at distance with my L3 CNVD-T3 so would heat them with a battery operated heat gun but they cool off quick, lol...I'm considering the Voodoo ML but was wondering if it's any better than the 320/640 T3 in that regard...Let us know how the ML does when you take it out on steel, would be curious to hear....

I'm sure there are but as long as you can confirm/deny what you're able to clearly see, so it would be good information to share either way...That said, you've owned TigIRs and NOX which gives you a frame of reference - most won't have owned multiple mid-to-high end thermals...So wouldn't agree that you're a complete noob.

Either way, would be interested to hear your feedback when you do take it out...

Reactions: Dogtown
    This is a neat idea especially on systems without adequate real-estate.

For steel, using a torch helps, but as stated, it cools off quickly. If you use an excessively thick plate, it holds enough temp offset to work a lot longer after dusk or at sun-up when things start to heat, it stays cooler longer. Talking like 1" vs 3/8".

This steel & heat retention issue isn't present with cooled mid-wave devices; only LWIR uncooled.

Awhile ago I experimented with the same thing using a SNIPE-IR and a 3x magnifier, with the SNIPE-IR being in hybrid mode... Because of the demag it functioned basically like a 35 mm REAP-IR, without the decrement in image quality typically observed in clip-on.

I will try this too, the good thing is it actually comes with an useful reticle too... Have you used with in disturbed reticle mode with your MARS yet?

Yep, the Voodoo integration is already included in the MARS so you just hook up the overpriced cable between the two, enable Disturbed Reticle, and (Importantly) zero the e-reticle to your day scope reticle. From there, every time you trigger the MARS you see a horizontal line and chevron move to the aim point. I have only done some preliminary testing of ranging stuff at distance in the nature preserve near my house (400-1200 yards) and shot to 300 yards with it and so far it seems to work well. Granted, it’s a pricey capability but it’s quite a bit faster to get on target with with a solution without taking your eye off the thermal. Without that cable it’s look at target, trigger range, glance up at the hold, look back at your reticle and adjust.

It will include windage holds if you have the MARS properly setup for wind internally or streaming from a Kestrel, but I have tended to just hold windage on the fly for the sake of simplicity.

The minor annoyance with that setup is that the MARS-to-Voodoo cable replaces the MARS remote, so all MARS operations have to be done by hand on the unit. PoT makes a 5-button remote that connects to both devices and allows remote operation of the Voodoo and triggering a range operation from the MARS. Given how expensive the cable is, I’ve been afraid to ask how expensive the remote is.