• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Night Vision Thermal Scanner

T-Hoe

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Marion, IL
I am needing some help choosing a hand held scanner for coyote hunting. I know that a lot of people are choosing to go with a thermal scope for hunting, but I am going with nv to take the shot. I have hunted quite a bit with a pvs14 and ir laser on my ar but wanted more range. Recently I purchased a pvs30 to gain more distance and accuracy. Now I need a thermal scanner for detection of approaching yotes. Could anyone offer some information on which scanner to get and/or stay away from? I have talked to one guy who suggests going with a pulsar xp38 . Any advice would be very helpful.

I use a Pulsar HD19A hand held that I bought as a demo from Optics Planet. Got the demo price + an additional 10% off, and it works great. Doesn't have the super definition that the newer thermal scopes have, but it does have more than enough for identification. Light weight, and runs on 4 AA batteries.

So, shop around and see if you can find a dealer demo. Price will be right and you should get an excellent hand held for a good price.

... I don’t want to spend more than have too ...

If price is your primary requirement ... then the HD19A will get the job done ... Almost any thermal from $1,900 and up will detect a coyote at least out to 500yds in most conditions ... the more you spend after that, the more detail you can see.

If you don't want to spend more than you have to then shop around for an HD19A and try to negotiate the price, you might be able to shave off $100 or $200 ... and yes, xp38 has a better image ... almost anything more expensive has a better image ... but if your goal is to detect yotes out to 500yds at the lowest price ... the HD19A has been doing that for the last 3 years and still does it ...

As to distance ... if you are mostly first seeing coyotes under 300yds ... then you don't need much magnification ... if you are usually first seeing them 400-600yds ... then some more magnification would help with the PID process. Note, some folks, like myself, distinguish between "detection" and "PID" (Positive ID).

Reactions: ballistic1
As to distance ... if you are mostly first seeing coyotes under 300yds ... then you don't need much magnification ... if you are usually first seeing them 400-600yds ... then some more magnification would help with the PID process. Note, some folks, like myself, distinguish between "detection" and "PID" (Positive ID).

9pxf6x.jpg

This young lad was first spotted about 500 yards out with the HD19A coming to our FoxPro. I can usually tell if it's a coyote, just by their gait.

The shot was with a Remington 700 in a AI stock, with a SiCo SpecWar topped with a TNVC D760 NV. The little Beretta was for a coup de grace shot because he was still sucking some air and blood.

ff3apx.jpg

Listen to Wig - he helped guide me with my first purchases, and I still read his stuff to see what he thinks.

Reactions: deersniper
... just by their gait ...

Exactly. Quite a few people think you PID just by shape, but I have made a "rule" ... that I must see movement before I shoot. Now there are exceptions ... but even the yotes I gotten a 30yds to 50yds ... were moving ...

For me, tail down 45 degree angle ... and the "trotting" across the field gate is a dead give away ... where as non-moving (which is rare but not zero) at 300yds ... tougher ...

==

... are the pulsar’s holding up well? ...

Yes, my original Apex XD50A 50mm 2x 384(50) I got in Dec 2015 and sold to my #1 shooting buddy in Dec 2016, he still has it ... and it is still going fine ... the only down side I recall is last winter we were out in the teens Farenheit and the display was a bit foggy ... we had it beside a Trail XP50 and my Trijicon Mk3 60mm ... the Trail and the Mk3 were clear the XD50A had some "fog" on the display ... so I don't think the original Apex are perfect in sub-freezing temps ... but that's the only issue I've seen. And I don't think that is an "age" issue, I don't think the "A" displays were the greatest ... but if you don't want to spend any more than you have to ... and you don't hunt much in sub-freezing temps ... then you will still be mostly fine with the HD19A.

I've had the Pulsar HD19a for a few years its relativity small and it's great as a "spotter".

I use mine for spotting Fox, Coyote and Bobcat. You can easily spot rabbits at 300 yards.

Here is some video. Its not great compared to the Trail models, but like I mentioned as a spotter its perfect.

I have used one for a few years and it is great and best bang for the buck-$$ .
But I thought the ( Pulsar Quantum HD19A Thermal Monocular ) 1 - 2 X magnification, have been factory discontinued and not available anymore ?

If they are not selling this model anymore it's a shame because the thing is so user friendly, simple top control buttons and good image .

It's still out there ... barely ...

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pulsar-quantum-hd19a-2-x-19-thermal-imaging-night-vision-scope

I found it on Amazon early this evening ... but not now ...
-
Good find on that Academy link to hd19 .. must be back stock not sold yet ? as on quick looking around it say's discontinued on sales pages .
Dirty shame because it really got a good working field of view on the the HD19 also . Don't know what the Pulsar reasoning is to stop making that unit ??? , as it is a killer unit, easy packing and gives 'alert Hot spots' popping way out 300 to 400 + yard in fields .

Shit I just used my 19 a hour ago to pick a coyote out of a corral tight area, backed by dark tree area . trying to grab some chickens for breakfast . Was shitty light right between night and day and never would have seen coyote working in without the therm. turned on .
The thing has paid for itself just in me not having to hunt for hours in the Dark and grass for dead coyotes laying flat after shooting them .....lol .

Items can be "discontinued" by the factory and yet still be floating around in the distribution channels (including ebay) for months even years.

I think the 19 might be a "quantum" series as well. I don't recall and I never downloaded the 19a manual, since I never had one. Perhaps one of the owners can chime in. And yes it is possible that other Pulsar spotters/scanners might be had for less.
I've seen 19s for $1,500 for instance, but not in my 3m of googling earlier.

The HD19a or similar will work fine if conditions are good (cold and not humid). However I find them ineffective in Texas heat or post rain. Not saying they are bad but just realize the conditions make a huge difference with entry level thermals IMHO. Also terrain can make a big difference. If you are looking at an open field then that is more forgiving than brush country with trees, rocks, and other things giving off heat. It’s better than nothing for sure but don’t expect to see crisp images like the YouTube videos unless conditions are ideal. I started with a Flir PS24 and thought it was the cats meow. Haha. Then someone showed me an IR Patrol and now I’m down a kidney.

After I finally handled the boson core Breach monocular this weekend . I would love to have the two units side x side at night for a few nights . But since Pulsar looks to have ( imho ) ' Stupidly ' choose to discontinue production of Pulsar 19A quantum . You are going to be forced into the Breach monoc. for keeping under the 2500-$ msrp for good small hand spotter on Coyotes or Pigs.
( I think ) It would not be to bad used as a ' hand Spotter ' . It view screen really is clear with it's super small pixel. It is 'Real Lightweight' and small size .

( but it has a very small view screen ) along with it's small package for seeing and picking-up projected image of hot spots . . but I think after a few nights of working with it in field, you would acclimate and tune eye/brain into it's smallness for picking up hot spots . For use on helmet and in the brush and grass in 100 yard range and under, the breach will kick ass for hunting .
The Breach unit with it's super small housing size does most definitely have the upper-hand especially when put on a dual bridge helmet mount with pvs14 . And It does offer Color Pallet ( red-yellow color 'alert' ) for hot spots . So when there is something hot popping out past 100 yard on the small tiny image screen when your using it at night, ( I think ? ) you would be able to pick-up the hot spots moving in . But for sure, having a bigger view screen makes distant hot spots easier to see .

I Not into a lot of In-board unit fluff like in-board Vid. and Pic. recording . . Breach has a USB cable port also ( internal Vid. ) .. BUT you can use USB port and take a phone battery and run a battery unit external mount on helmet for 'several hours' non stop of use . they are saying the single inboard CR123 battery will get about 90 minutes of play .

When compare to the Pulsar and few years I used it , the 19A quantum most definitely has a much bigger view screen and that a big + , it also bigger Diam. Germanium Obj. lens . 19A has ( good ) but bigger pixel on viewed image screen, But the view screen is twice as big for viewing . Pulsar 19A also about 3 times bigger holding in the hand . Only offers black/white on image choice .
If your not going to Helmet mount and only use a Lower priced Therm. hand spotter I would still use the Pulsar 19a over the breach . If Helmet Mount Dual Bridge, hands down better, go Breach monoc .

Last edited:
Why no love for the FLIR Scout III?

I have one and think it's great per the OP's intended use, but I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe there are better $3K options now - I haven't been keeping current with the new tech....

https://www.flir.com/products/scout-iii-640/

The issue with those units is the fixed focus. It doesn't lend itself well to detecting game coming in to calls from a distance. Beyond about 80 yards you lose a lot of definition, and by 200 yards heat signatures are just a blurry spot if you can even make them out at all. At that point you might as well have a 320 unit, a 320 unit with a focus like the L3 MTM is superior.

For a budget thermal scanner I don't think you can beat the breach. That's where my money would go if a M300W is out of the question.

The issue with those units is the fixed focus. It doesn't lend itself well to detecting game coming in to calls from a distance. Beyond about 80 yards you lose a lot of definition, and by 200 yards heat signatures are just a blurry spot if you can even make them out at all. At that point you might as well have a 320 unit, a 320 unit with a focus like the L3 MTM is superior.

For a budget thermal scanner I don't think you can beat the breach. That's where my money would go if a M300W is out of the question.

before you had a few choices to pick, Flir scout unit at one time was ok unit . but I think one of the things people bitched a lot about on that scout unit was the 'internal' chargeable battery . No changing/switch-out

out battery packs like most Therm. units .

-
The flir Scout unit at one time was OK unit before you had a few choices to pick . I think one of the things also people bitched about was the 'internal' rechargeable battery, No change/switching-out battery power pack .

I purchased a Helion XP38 recently too. I couldn't wait to try it out. When it got dark I Jumped in the truck and went out looking for critters.

Came around a corner about 1/2 mile from my house and I spy a couple coyotes. Couldn't shoot them though. Way to close to residential homes.