• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Think I might buy me a AR57

Zevdogs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Utah
With it using 5.7x28 ammo I could use my .223 suppressor on it
50 round extra mags are 21.99 at cabelas and if ever got rich could use a lightning link with my colt lowers
The main drawback is pricey ammo, what I've seen is 250.00 for 500 rounds

What are your thoughts on them
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?
item=XAR57U16

Local seller has them new for 599.99

Re: Think I might by me a AR57

I think he means a magazine. A lightning link (i think) is a way to implement bump-fire (with hardware) and get "automatic fire" out of a semi-auto. aka ammo waster.

no idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Col. Jeff Cooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A clip is not a magazine, a mag is not a clip;
Neither is a grip a stock, and "stock" does not mean grip.
I do not mean to nitpick, but improvement could be seen,
If we could bring ourselves to say exactly what we mean.
</div></div>

It is a MAGAZINE...NOT a clip.

That said...the AR-57 is a novelty IMO. If you want one to say you have one or to plink around with...have at it. Good luck and God speed.

However...ask yourself what role or need the AR-57 fills that any standard AR-15 doesn't (aside from maybe a little less recoil, lighter ammo, etc.)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zevdogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">basically one step up from a 9mm AR </div></div>

Are you sure it's not one step down?

I can't think of anything this would do that a 9mm AR wouldn't do better. Except shoot squirrels.

This is coming from someone who has suppressors/short barrels/etc so maybe the longer barrel lengths unsuppressed add some mystical utility. But I doubt it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zevdogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">basically one step up from a 9mm AR </div></div>

Are you sure it's not one step down?

I can't think of anything this would do that a 9mm AR wouldn't do better. Except shoot squirrels.

This is coming from someone who has suppressors/short barrels/etc so maybe the longer barrel lengths unsuppressed add some mystical utility. But I doubt it.... </div></div>

+1 more on this. Aside from some perceived "kewl factor" on the AR-57...there is really NOTHING that it does that cannot be accomplished easily with a bone stock AR-15 chambered in virtually any other variety of more commercially available and CHEAPER ammo. Your average "per round" cost of basic SS197 ballistic tips will be between $0.42-0.45/round with 9mm available for <$0.20/round and 5.56 ball for around $0.32/round. So for every 50 rounds you fire through an AR-57 upper...you'll spend between $21 and $22.50 (in comparison with the 9mm where you'll spend $10 and the 5.56 where you'll spend $16).

Where the 5.7x28 round and the platforms that use it really shine is under the following conditions:

1) when you have to haul a huge quantity of ammo around (based on significant weight savings per round compared to 5.56 or 9mm);

2) when controllability/accuracy under full-auto fire is a MUST when you need to put multiple rounds on targets in a hurry; and

3) with certain ammunition, when you need to punch through certain barriers/body armor where the basic 5.56 or other common cartridges fail.

However...each of these "advantages" are wasted on the AR-57 upper since none of the above are going to apply to your new range toy.

The 50rnd mags are just hype for those that buy into the mega-capacity magazines as a solution to some problem that simply doesn't exist on the shooting range and is something that can be easily overcome by a single mag change (either with 5.56 or 9mm).

Again...if you just WANT ONE...GO FOR IT! Just don't expect any mysterious, fanciful, time-saving, force-multiplying advantage with the AR-57 vs. any other common AR-15 platform rifle.

Great info thanks
I really don't need another caliber to stock and I already have 4 sidearms in 9mm
So I'll save up for a suppressed sbr in 9mm

just wanted to add that the only reason i have an ar57 is because its easy to convert the one i have to 223/556 just by changing the upper and buffer. It is a lot of fun to shoot though, zero kick its just all around fun. Ammo honestly isnt too bad, its comparable to decent 223 at the prices I pay for it. Buying in bulk is a must for 5.7 ammo.