This may lead to an interesting discussion- who have you given access to for your house?

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I haven't seen this discussed here (at least not recently) but might make for a good discussion. I'm sure the vast majority of us consider our homes our own personal castles. But we may have a trusted inner-circle in which we gave access to our homes, whether through physical keys or digital access. I'm not personally concerned with the details myself of which type of access you may have provided but more so curious as to the "who" portion that you gave access to of your home.

As for me- the only one that could potentially come and go into our house is my sister-in-law. As for the why- well both my wife and I have a higher than most threshold of trust required in order to give the literal/figurative keys of our new house to anyone and she's the only one that checked our boxes. It may be unusual to some here- but we have not (and agreed to this jointly) given any keys/or other access to our parents and don't intend to change that decision, at least not in the near future.

It's not that we even distrust either of our parents but this is our... refuge I'll say, and it's comforting to my wife & I to know that the vast majority of our inner circle cannot come in without our direct involvement. Neighbors(?), hah- if we live here 20+ years and never know their names, I'd be ok with that because I'd rather we keep to ourselves and do our own thing.

That said- does anyone else feel the same way, have similar approaches or have a completely different outlook on this topic?

-LD

If I told you it's been almost 20 years since anyone but me has been inside my house, you'd think I was some kind of creepy, introverted loaner.
    And you'd be right.
    I get that- honestly I'm likely well on my way down the same path myself. Dollars to doughnuts though there's a large chunk of folks here that gave keys to relatives, neighbors, etc. years ago and have never given it a second thought for years/decades. Partially one of the reasons I thought this might make for a good discussion.

Again, I'm not trying to 'glow' here, and really don't care of the minutia but mainly just curious of who we gave the "proverbial keys" to our houses to and more importantly, why we did it is all.

-LD

Feds always have an open invitation.
    Come-Back-Warrant-Level-Iv-Plates-24-x-36-Inches-Rubber-Front-Door-Mats-Outdoor-Entrance-Funn...jpeg

The only people that have access to my home are my ole lady. The kid. That’s it.

Just because they are family doesn’t mean they won’t steal.

I trust no one when I’m not home.

Are there people I could give access to my home and be fairly certain it would be fine? Yes. But I’ve had situation where some stuff has came up missing and I’d never want to think one of my friends had something to do with it. No option if that makes sense.

Had to have some work don’t on the house and some jewelry came up missing. It was either the workers or the kids friends. Since then everything is locked up.

The only people that have access to my home are my ole lady. The kid. That’s it.

Just because they are family doesn’t mean they won’t steal.

I trust no one when I’m not home.

Are there people I could give access to my home and be fairly certain it would be fine? Yes. But I’ve had situation where some stuff has came up missing and I’d never want to think one of my friends had something to do with it. No option if that makes sense.

Had to have some work don’t on the house and some jewelry came up missing. It was either the workers or the kids friends. Since then everything is locked up.
    Completely understand.

-LD

My grandparents never locked their doors, truth be told- they never even had a deadbolt until their town had their 1st murder. When their children/my parents & Aunts/Uncles bought their houses, they had locks (circa late 70's/early 80's) but everyone they knew got a key and that was a "thing" for that generation.

As things progressed for my generation- heck, we just want to be left alone and didn't offer a key to our relatives and for some reason that was insulting to them. Lots of turmoil but I can't be the only one going through this nonsense.

-LD

If I may. Don't forget the camera. Not only they are a pretty good deterrent, but it also provides images you can later use to know who did what/when/where. I also trust nobody, not even close relatives.

We have no living family local [sister in law in cali] and are 1 year into our new house ,so no one has access to our house . Years ago family had keys and 1 or 2 neighbors we shared each others garage codes . I suspect we will share codes with a neighbor in the future as we are in a gated HOA 55 and above where we tend to check on each other .

SIL used to have access to our our but she lived next door (married a twin :unsure: ) but she moved about 2 yr ago. Older man who bought their house is a good guy, and he did know where the key was to access the house but never had to use it. He may have forgotten about it anyways. Someone is always here when work is being done around the house. Daughter lives an hour away, and we could give her the code to open the garage door, but unlikely we'll ever have to.

Reactions: adeakins
    No. If you arrive uninvited and are not a blood relation you can stand on the porch or go back thru the gate. If you have questions put them in writing.

On a different note. Maybe the FBI has changed and gotten more chicken shit but 20 years ago they would show you ID without snivveling or shitting the bed. An agent stopped by to query about a neighbor and flashed his badge. I asked to see it again, he asked why? I said, you are the first real FBI agent I've ever seen in the wild it's kind of a big deal. He laughed and tossed me his credentials and I gave him a cold Diet Coke. We sat on the porch watching the local Crips gang in the shade for a while.

No need to be rude, but no is no.

I’ve had zero people to this house, and maybe 5 to my old house. That’s a 15 year stretch. Why the fuck do u want other people in your home? If we are hanging out I’m coming to your house.

Everyone wanted to hang out at my old house and I had zero problems saying no. The only ones who did stay were too drunk to drive, or my at the time girlfriend.

I’ve had zero people to this house, and maybe 5 to my old house. That’s a 15 year stretch. Why the fuck do u want other people in your home? If we are hanging out I’m coming to your house.

Everyone wanted to hang out at my old house and I had zero problems saying no. The only ones who did stay were too drunk to drive, or my at the time girlfriend.
    In my case allowing a trusted person access is a safety issue /convivence so first responders do not have to break down a door or rescue our pet ,turn the water /gas off /close the garage door i left open etc

In my case allowing a trusted person access is a safety issue /convivence so first responders do not have to break down a door or rescue our pet ,turn the water /gas off /close the garage door i left open etc
    If they break down a door it’ll just get rebuilt, not a big deal.

You still can’t come over 😆