thoughts on aero precision barreled action

The_Butcher

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2024
Pennsylvania
I'm debating trying a budget rifle build with an aero precision barreled action(probably in .308), and would like everyone's opinions.

Edit: I also will not be reloading YET... I would like to start doing reloading and load development at some point, but for now I'll just be shooting factory ammo.

Last edited:
I bought one of the Hunter models in .308 and everything about it seems quality, but it shoots like garbage. Groups from 1.5 to 2.5” with handloads that shot in the .4s in a previous Criterion barrel rifle.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the barrel. Put the Solus barreled action in an MPA chassis and it still shot poorly. Put one of my known good shooting barreled actions in the Solus stock and it still shot good. Tried two different scopes with both shooting poorly.

So, while I would not hesitate to use their action, which I really like, I could not recommend their barreled action or barrels.

John

Reactions: The_Butcher
I'm debating trying a budget rifle build with an aero precision barreled action(probably in .308), and would like everyone's opinions.
Mine has been extremely picky, but I found a sub-1/2 MOA load with Hornady 168 ELD-M’s with Varget, and that load has consistently put down ragged-hole groups @ 100.

IMG_7951.jpeg
image_cropper_2DF6F4C3-0713-44A1-B483-B993EC29C729-563-0000043D0D277CF0.jpeg

I bought one of the Hunter models in .308 and everything about it seems quality, but it shoots like garbage. Groups from 1.5 to 2.5” with handloads that shot in the .4s in a previous Criterion barrel rifle.
Continuing to state this line, is either idiocy, or being deliberately misleading. Just because one rifle shoots good with a particular load, doesn’t mean the very next one on the line will. Unless you have tailored a new load from fresh development on each rifle/barrel, continuing to state it “shoots like garbage” is irrelevant without proper diligence and effort to prove it will not shoot anything good.

I’ve ended up with several of their barreled actions after running the KRG Bravo in 6.5cm for about 2500rds. The 6.5cm barreled actions (tried the 22” and the 24”) were easy to develop a load for and consistently produced ~.5 MOA results (140 & 147 ELDM’s). Their chassis is pretty solid for the price point as well. Waiting on the .384 bolt face to finish building a solus action/chassis in .223ai.

For the price and features, I think they’re pretty solid.

Continuing to state this line, is either idiocy, or being deliberately misleading. Just because one rifle shoots good with a particular load, doesn’t mean the very next one on the line will. Unless you have tailored a new load from fresh development on each rifle/barrel, continuing to state it “shoots like garbage” is irrelevant without proper diligence and effort to prove it will not shoot anything good.
So why does everyone expect FGMM to shoot well in any barrel? Because some loads will shoot well in multiple barrels. The load I tried has always, at a minimum, shot acceptably well in multiple barrels. I would not expect it to necessarily shoot as small as it did in a previous barrel, but there’s no good reason it should group that load as poorly as it does. As stated in the other thread, I also ran a series of charges with Lapua brass, 178gr ELD-Xs and Varget. They shot even worse, giving groups in excess of 2”.

If, like your barrel, it is so finicky that it only shoots one load acceptably, I don’t want the barrel and I am not going to shoot hundreds of rounds seeking “the one” load. I have had barrels from Bartlein, Broughton, Brux, Criterion, Hart, Kreiger, and probably some others I’m failing to remember right now. None have ever shot this poorly with ANY load. Life is too short to spend fighting with an ill tempered barrel when much more eager to please barrels are readily available.

John

• Haha
Reactions: Charger442 and FuhQ
So why does everyone expect FGMM to shoot well in any barrel? Because some loads will shoot well in multiple barrels. The load I tried has always, at a minimum, shot acceptably well in multiple barrels. I would not expect it to necessarily shoot as small as it did in a previous barrel, but there’s no good reason it should group that load as poorly as it does. As stated in the other thread, I also ran a series of charges with Lapua brass, 178gr ELD-Xs and Varget. They shot even worse, giving groups in excess of 2”.

If, like your barrel, it is so finicky that it only shoots one load acceptably, I don’t want the barrel and I am not going to shoot hundreds of rounds seeking “the one” load. I have had barrels from Bartlein, Broughton, Brux, Criterion, Hart, Kreiger, and probably some others I’m failing to remember right now. None have ever shot this poorly with ANY load. Life is too short to spend fighting with an ill tempered barrel when much more eager to please barrels are readily available.

John
I’ve had .308’s that shot lots of other loads well, but hated factory FGMM. Barrels are like humans…Even if they’re identical twins on the outside, internally, they can be very different and like totally different things.

There is NO “1 size fits all” load guaranteed to work in your rifle. Numerous guns might statistically like the same load, but that doesn’t mean yours will. That’s why individual load development on every rifle is extremely important to maximize precision and consistency.

Also, you’re comparing Bartlein & Kreiger to a factory mass-produced BSF barrel… They’re not in the same ballpark at all. Comparing them a an equal playing field is not going to produce a good outcome for one of them, it’s naturally handicapped from lower quality production methods.

I think for the price point, it is a decent option. If I had to make the purchase myself, I'd probably look at the PVA Solus BAs as well.

You typically get what you pay for, but in the land of barreled actions these generally give solid reports as being a great 'bang for the buck'.

*As to the one barreled action that didn't like a load from another rifle, it is something that I'd expect. They aren't "premium" barrels, they're somewhere in the middle between a big factory churn-out and the quality of barrel that wins matches. Getting an example that is more finicky is going to be significantly higher IMO. Where I'd get frustrated is if I got poor results across several bullets and powders.

Best of luck.

I think for the price point, it is a decent option. If I had to make the purchase myself, I'd probably look at the PVA Solus BAs as well.

You typically get what you pay for, but in the land of barreled actions these generally give solid reports as being a great 'bang for the buck'.

*As to the one barreled action that didn't like a load from another rifle, it is something that I'd expect. They aren't "premium" barrels, they're somewhere in the middle between a big factory churn-out and the quality of barrel that wins matches. Getting an example that is more finicky is going to be significantly higher IMO. Where I'd get frustrated is if I got poor results across several bullets and powders.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will go with a Solus BA from PVA. Does anyone have recommendations for a stock or chassis? I will probably be using this setup for hunting and target shooting... I'm thinking about the MDT XRS.

Reactions: FuhQ