Thoughts on Black Rain Ordinance 308

svxwilson

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Montana
    What are everyone's thoughts on Black Rain Ordinance 308's? I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used one and know nothing of them other than what I can gather fom there webpage. I just got a m&p 308 and love it. Should I get this one too? For the right price? He is asking retail and claims 100rnds through it.

I handled a few last year at the NRA show, really nice fit and finish. Their muzzle brakes are a little goofy for me. The m&p should do everything the Black Rain does, you may see better accuracy with the black rain, from what I can tell they use black hole ordnance barrels. just depends on its intended use. you can never have too many rifles though haha

What are everyone's thoughts on Black Rain Ordinance 308's? I have the opportunity to buy a slightly used one and know nothing of them other than what I can gather fom there webpage. I just got a m&p 308 and love it. Should I get this one too? For the right price? He is asking retail and claims 100rnds through it.

The black rain stuff is a DPMS based receiver and then they build various configurations with off the shelf parts so it's going to be as good as what went into it.

If you've got the money and you know it's a good shooter why not the way things are now who knows what'll happen.

I went and checked it out on my lunch today. It was only a quick check though. The handguard was a little loose. That is my only concern. I talked him down to $2400 today. I am going to go back tomorrow and take it apart and look down the barrel and tighten those tube nuts and see if they hold. I think that's a good deal at $2400. It's a new model also he got it January.
    Still open to thoughts and suggestions on this item.

I went and checked it out on my lunch today. It was only a quick check though. The handguard was a little loose. That is my only concern. I talked him down to $2400 today. I am going to go back tomorrow and take it apart and look down the barrel and tighten those tube nuts and see if they hold. I think that's a good deal at $2400. It's a new model also he got it January.
    Still open to thoughts and suggestions on this item.

If it IS a new model and the handguard/bbl nut is lose (whether by initial assembly error or some @#$%nut messing with it and not reinstalling everything properly)...I'm not sure it is worth your money or your time as who knows what the hell else might be awry with it. That kind of money puts you squarely into many different, very nice, very reputable companies' large frame ARs.

Guess you'll find out more when you give it a better going over tomorrow. Good luck and God speed!

If it IS a new model and the handguard/bbl nut is lose (whether by initial assembly error or some @#$%nut messing with it and not reinstalling everything properly)...I'm not sure it is worth your money or your time as who knows what the hell else might be awry with it. That kind of money puts you squarely into many different, very nice, very reputable companies' large frame ARs.

Guess you'll find out more when you give it a better going over tomorrow. Good luck and God speed!

It's not the barrel nut it's the Allen head screws on the rail that tighten the handguard to the barrel nut. . I may have explained poorly. The barrel isn't loose just the handguard/rail tube.

It's not the barrel nut it's the Allen head screws on the rail that tighten the handguard to the barrel nut. . I may have explained poorly. The barrel isn't loose just the handguard/rail tube.

That's more likely a poor assumption on my part overthinking the problem. A couple of allen screws being a little loose leading to a loose handguard certainly isn't a big deal that can't be remedied in a hurry. Sorry for jumping the gun (pun intended)! ;)

Hope everything checks out for you!

That's more likely a poor assumption on my part overthinking the problem. A couple of allen screws being a little loose leading to a loose handguard certainly isn't a big deal that can't be remedied in a hurry. Sorry for jumping the gun (pun intended)! ;)

Hope everything checks out for you!

What do you think of the price I have negotiated to? Retail on the rifle new is $2800. So I was thinking $400 off a brand new gun with only 100 rounds through it is a relatively good deal.....? I have always had my eye on these guys and if there been one the day I bought my smith I probably would of gone the black rain route. But I really like the smith so I imagine I will like the black rain just as much. It is kind of a investment. If I ever needed money I could always sell one of them (the lesser of the two as far as accuracy is concerned) I just don't want to be in to far over its value.

And I also found out via a video on YouTube that showed how the Smith&Wesson m&p10 not being compatable with other barrels and bolt and bolt carriers. So I would always have to use smith parts in it. I like to customize after I shoot the factory barrel out and I wouldn't be able to do as much with the smith as easily as the black rain. That is another reason for picking it up.

I am open to all ideas and thoughts please feel free to put them out there.

Last edited:
    I have a BRO 308 and it has functioned perfectly. Everything seems tight. I shot a 1 inch group with an eotech and called it good. Might have been luck but I bet with a scope it could shoot well. The factory trigger in mine was awful but everything else seemed great. Just keep in mind that for 2400 you could get something more accurate like a nice bolt gun. I have yet to find an AR that has shot less than 1 half inch and I've been through alot. If accuracy is really what your looking for GAP 10s are supposed to be the ticket. I have one ordered

I think if I was you and you're going to spend close to $3k on a used 308 BOA rilfe, then I would rather get this (if and when it ever comes back into stock) and join the club baby! LOL. Better set up that email auto notify! Hehehe

LMT 308 Modular Weapon System 18" Stainless Steel Flat Matte LM30MWSN

LMT LM308MWSK 308 Modular Weapon System 20" Stainless Steel Flat Matte Barrel

M&P 10? watch out for that system man, last week at the range a guy had one of those blow up when he was shooting. After we made sure he was okay we couldn't help but laugh and remind him you get what you pay for......

Black Rain uses rails made by Samson Manufacturing. It is either the STAR quadrail or Evo smooth rail. The Evo goes over a set of brackets the mount on the standard barrel nut. It pinches together with two or three hex bolts that need to be tight. If they are not tight enought the rail will move. Simple fix and not a deal killer. I have built 3 rifles on BRO reciever sets that are very nice. Good manufacturing and a tight fit. What they are for the most part are blingy DPMS rifles with some better parts ie: barrel, rail, stocks.