Rifle Scopes Thoughts on IOR Valdada or Athlon Optics

rdunn129

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2017
I recently purchased a RPR gen2 (6.5CM) and am looking for a new optic for the rifle. I really like the IOR Valdada 6-24x56 FFP Mil/Mil reticle and the scope looks like a tank; however I don't really mind the Athlon Cronus BTR optic either. I'm currently torn between both scopes, and since my budget is max $2k, I am not really sure which one I should get or lean towards. I have really looked for info on the IOR but haven't had much luck with that particular model (most are for the Recon which is out of my price range), and I have heard some really good things about the Cronus BTR. Any thoughts on either scope or brand?

Welcome to the "Hide" As you are new here you probably don't realize that any reference not derogatory to IOR will result in calls for your tar and feathering. Some of us have had no issues with IOR but that is irrelevant.
With a budget of $2K you have a wide choice of optics. This site has a wealth of used scopes for less than that. Glass from the better manufacturers with a lifetime warranty ( that is honored) abounds in the for sale section. Good luck!

^^^What he said. IOR's have a rocky history on this site. Some praise them, some curse them. I've never owned one so I can't comment beyond that. Regardless, with a $2k budget you are spoiled for choice.

-Vortex GenII Razor (Used)
-vortex GenI Razor (New)
-Bushnell ET line (DMRII, LRHS, LRTS)
-Athlon Cronus, as you mentioned
-Nightforce ATACR and NXS show up in the for sale section regularly for <$2k

I had that same ior scope, it failed in the middle of a match, about a year after I bought it. Sent it back and they sent me a new one which I sold asap.

I used/reviewed a Cronus for months and sent it to a PRS shooter for further testing
He banged it around the 2016 season without mishap. It was impressive so I have a Cronus BTR coming soon which I plan on keeping.

The only thing I really liked on the ior was the glass. I still give the edge to the Cronus there too though.

Last edited:
Friends don't let friends buy IOR scopes. Nonetheless, a friend recently bought one, against my better advice. I've tried it out a couple different times on his rifle. The eyebox is VERY fussy and sucks compared to any high priced scope I have ever looked through. Glass was ok. The parallax adjustment up front near the objective really sucks too, at least IMO. I can see the disappointment in my friends eyes, but he's a good enough friend that I can't say "I told you so"........

Yea I have owned a couple IOR scopes and one was flawless and had no issues and the other one has dust particles all throughout the inside of the tube. IOR was willing to clean it at factory at no cost or replace it when they got more into their US distributor. Good warranty, but a silly issue to have on an $1,800 optic.

Not sure why you're only between those two scopes. With a $2,000 budget I would look at Nigthforce ATACR SFP, Steiner M5xi, Vortex Razor Gen II, etc. Hell, save yourself some money and get a Burris XTR II or a Bushnell ERS. They are plenty good enough scopes that will last you quite a while for around $1,000.

Between IOR and Athlon I would probably pick Athlon. There are some used Cronus on here for $1300-1350. I just haven't tried one yet because I am very skeptical of first gen scopes from a new company, but that's just my $0.02 of course because Vortex had an awesome Gen 1 for their PST that lasted quite a while.

Last edited:
I don't own that particular IOR, but I do own two others, I have a 3.5x15 that has sit on a custom 308 for around 6 years or so with zero issues, and I have a 12x52 Terminator sitting on a 6.5CM. Again no issues. I took the 6.5 to a precision rifle class a few years ago and got 2nd place top shooter in the class. A swat team sniper beat me out of first, but I beat his partner out for 2nd. The glass on both is 2nd to none. Both are just out standing. Wouldn't trade them for nothing.

I don't own that particular IOR, but I do own two others, I have a 3.5x15 that has sit on a custom 308 for around 6 years or so with zero issues, and I have a 12x52 Terminator sitting on a 6.5CM. Again no issues. I took the 6.5 to a precision rifle class a few years ago and got 2nd place top shooter in the class. A swat team sniper beat me out of first, but I beat his partner out for 2nd. The glass on both is 2nd to none. Both are just out standing. Wouldn't trade them for nothing.

"glass on both is 2nd to none." That's a bold claim, Sir.

I guess ill repeat what other are saying and state that i havent owned an IOR but i know the Cronus BTR and it is a fantastic optic. I hear the people at Athlon are great too which is a plus

I have a Athlon Cronus BTR that I took to the Montana Prairie Dog fields .Every time I pointed it at a Prairie Dog it blew up ,and that's without pulling the trigger.No really the glass is so good ya don't even need bullets.... Another thing was the new reticle for what I intended it for is great. But my 60 year old eyes can't see the reticle under 15x .

I have several ior scopes and will never buy another. While the glass is good their warranty sucks. Sent a nearly new scope in for repair almost a year ago. I'm not sure I'll ever get it back. Getting to the point of getting a lawyer. I have seen several others with same issue.

I have a Athlon Cronus BTR that I took to the Montana Prairie Dog fields .Every time I pointed it at a Prairie Dog it blew up ,and that's without pulling the trigger.No really the glass is so good ya don't even need bullets.... Another thing was the new reticle for what I intended it for is great. But my 60 year old eyes can't see the reticle under 15x .

I used a non BTR Cronus for a while and the reticle line weight was heavy enough to still be visible at lower mags but they got complaints apparently (I always argued it's a tactical scope not a precision target scope), probably why they designed the BTR reticle thinner. I prefer the layout of the BTR reticle but it seems they need to increase the line weight as you're one of several shooters who have opined it's too thin.

Last edited:
I have several ior scopes and will never buy another. While the glass is good their warranty sucks. Sent a nearly new scope in for repair almost a year ago. I'm not sure I'll ever get it back. Getting to the point of getting a lawyer. I have seen several others with same issue.

Sound like IOR and optics planet have a lot on common, I returned a Schmidt & Bender scope about three weeks ago and haven't been approved for my refund yet. What a fucking joke, NEVER AGAIN, NEVER AGAIN!!! I don't care if I have to pay more, whatever it takes to not deal with these yahoos ever again...

If I was you and I had a $2k budget, I'd figure out a way to get another $200 to $300 and then pickup up a used S&B 5-25x56 P4f scope mil/mil here, used in good condition & never have to worry about it again.

If I was you and I had a $2k budget, I'd figure out a way to get another $200 to $300 and then pickup up a used S&B 5-25x56 P4f scope mil/mil here, used in good condition & never have to worry about it again.

I would do this, or get a vortex razor gen 2. The Vortex warranty is better than anyone's that I know of. Check out reviews of it.

Sound like IOR and optics planet have a lot on common, I returned a Schmidt & Bender scope about three weeks ago and haven't been approved for my refund yet. What a fucking joke, NEVER AGAIN, NEVER AGAIN!!! I don't care if I have to pay more, whatever it takes to not deal with these yahoos ever again...

+THIS+....If a person isn't careful you can get strung-out on a purchase from optics planet, they are notorious for selling stuff they don't have and representing the item as in stock. I have sworn them off forever, I just won't go there. .......

+THIS+....If a person isn't careful you can get strung-out on a purchase from optics planet, they are notorious for selling stuff they don't have and representing the item as in stock. I have sworn them off forever, I just won't go there. .......

That's why MidwayUSA, Eurooptics, LibertyOptics and SWFA are my go to for optics.