• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Thoughts on leica 2800.COM after real time use

Ajrich

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
I'm currently debating between a leupold RX 2800, Leica 2700 B, and the 2800.com
I think I've read about every post and review on all three of them that I can find and cant make up my mind.
I read some early reviews on the 2800.com about kicking in and out of link with the kestrel, and eating batteries when paired with kestrel. After some time with the 2800.com unit and updates is anyone still having issues with it?
I have a 5700 elite with AB and dont want to leave anything on the table by not going with the .com, but if it still has issues I will go 2700b or rx 2800. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

You are not losing anything by going with the 2800.com. If the feature doesn’t work as you think it should you always have the option to switch to manually loaded ballistics that are loaded from the Leica app via Bluetooth. For $750 right now I think the 2800.com is a good buy.

In normal conditions I have not had many issues with the pairing of Kestrel 5700 Elite to the 2800.com. In the rare times I have had issues cycling power to the Kestrel would solve the pairing issue. They remain paired until either the Kestrel or Leica powers off. The Kestrel is either on a lanyard hanging from my tripod, where the Leica and binos are mounted top or it is on me. I have not had an issue with it losing pairing in either spot.

This past week on two separate occasions in temperatures from 20-45deg F. The Leica would loose connection with the Kestrel when it was hanging by the lanyard. I would get connected ( aiming circle would stop spinning and Bluetooth symbol would stop flashing and remain steady), range, the range would flash and you could tell it was looking for connection to the Kestrel for the dope, and then the bluetooth symbol would start flashing. This happened maybe 3-4 times and I got frustrated so I just gave up and put the Kestrel on the plate next to the Leica and boom. Problem solved. The Laynard couldn’t be more than 2 feet long but that was enough distance to disturb the connection in the cold.

I am pleased with the units ranging ability. I have only confirmed to steel out to 1225yards, but it was under extremely bright, mid afternoon, conditions.

Thank you for your input blbennett1288. When its trying to reconnect can you still range objects? I would use the link aspect mainly for hunting and I'm up north so hunting in the cold weather is more common than not so that worries me a bit.
What model kestrel do you have? I also heard some models need an update to solve this issue.

Anybody else have any similar issues or no issues at all? Also would like to know how it is ranging steel at 2k and animal < 1300 yards.
Thanks

Yeah you can still range objects while it’s trying to connect via BT. You can also turn BT off and just have it use the internal ballistics, or you can just use it as a stand alone rangefinder.

I have a Kestrel Elite 5700. When I connected my Leica to the App it confirmed that it had the most up to date firmware.

To note is there was no detriment to the function of the Leica 2800 other than the Bluetooth in cold weather.

Reactions: Ajrich
Great to hear, thank you! Any problem ranging steel at 2k?

I think 2k will be heavily light dependant and your target size. I can get 1500 yards no problem with mine consistantly using a tripod. I have returned 2k on several occasions though when the light was right.

My target is a torso 20"x28". I got this np at exactly a mile.

20191109_171633.jpg

I'm currently debating between a leupold RX 2800, Leica 2700 B, and the 2800.com
I think I've read about every post and review on all three of them that I can find and cant make up my mind.
I read some early reviews on the 2800.com about kicking in and out of link with the kestrel, and eating batteries when paired with kestrel. After some time with the 2800.com unit and updates is anyone still having issues with it?
I have a 5700 elite with AB and dont want to leave anything on the table by not going with the .com, but if it still has issues I will go 2700b or rx 2800. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Are you considering a 3500.com?

Thanks Huskydriver, any BT issues with kestrel?

I had one of the first units released in the US I believe and before the first firmware update it would happen if the kestral or the leica went to sleep.

I haven't noticed it as often with the later patches to the firmware. For as light and compact as it is imo it's pretty tough to beat for as tight of a beam it has.

I ended up getting the 2800.com from Doug and camera land. Ranging is excellent, glass is great and it pairs instantly with kestrel and never loses connection (so far). Thanks everyone for your input I am very pleased with the 2800.com.