Thoughts on this please

Hopefully there are a few in here with some experience with these. Not me, I'm just an idiot who looked at the link you shared.

Here's my (worthless) .02:
-Looks to be about as standard a Remington 700 action as there is. Didn't see anything on truing/bluprinting etc...
-Vortakt is misspelled in their link. Vortakt barrels themselves are reported to be pretty decent from what I've read...but I don't like the different tiers without knowing which one is on the rifle I purchased.
-MDT XRS is a good lower-cost chassis. It's beauty rivals Maxine Waters, but differs in that it is actually functional.
-I'm assuming that it is coated with Cerakote.

-I'm also going to go out on a limb here and ass-ume that they screwed a new barrel on a new Remington receiver, coated it, stuck it in a chassis and marketed it. There's a good chance it will work well, but the variation from one example to another will be greater than with a higher quality option.

So, for $1,700, I think that it is a less-expensive option than trying to put something comparable together. That being said, I don't think it would be really competitive in the niche that most guys choose a 338LM for *for competing*. As a fun range toy built to compete with the Savage and Ruger rifles, it is probably a pretty decent option.

Yes, cheap action and chassis. And not much description of work done (so guessing none was)
I can find out which grade of barrel that is, as I got a homie….

And a .338 LM to shoot to 1k on paper and hunt with is a bit much…..

I do that with a 6BR and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Not hunting to 1000, but shooting.

Have used the 6.5 and 140 on deer as far as 530 yds.
Bang flop.
Another at 475.
Bang flop. Then she did a little moving about 4-6 yds from initial flop and was dead.

Would not hesitate to take those shots my my 6BR and a 105 either.
Its easy 1/2 minute to 600 and watching trace and your own hit as the deer flops is good stuff.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Well you don’t need a .338 LM at all.

I would look at the 6mm or 6.5mm offerings.

Then start looking at actions that take prefits and you can do the same thing they did.

CDG $900
KRG bravo $400
Prefit barrel $650
Trigger $175
Brake $100

For $2500 you can have a MUCH nicer rifle
Or find a complete build here on the hide. Many custom Builds go for $2500-$3500 with top actions.

I’m wanting something I can use for punching paper to 1K yards and for hunting. I like PWS as a company as well.
The words "contract overrun" are almost always bullshit

Others beat me to it. .338 LM is way overreaching for both long range accuracy and hunting. In fact, I would choose no bigger than .300 PRC. .300 WM is also a more forgiving choice. But really, you could do both with 7 mm PRC and plenty have hunted with 7 RM effectively.

And if it is just long range, plenty of people love the 6.5 CM but you have to grow a manbun to use it.

Personally, I pick the 7 PRC.

If only going to 1K my .223 does that just fine. Wind is a bitch though. I remember when one of our club members started shooting matches with the club. Showed up with a 338 Lapua, spent lots on ammo, got abused by the recoil and didn't shoot very well with it. Years later he's one of the best shooters in the club, mostly shooting a 6mm now past 1K. I'd only get a 338 to shoot a mile and further. 7 PRC sounds like a good suggestion if you're going for something bigger than deer.

It's not like a mass produced item where they may get an order for 10,000 units but the min production run yields 12,000 items .
Even in that case (build to order) the cost of 12000 is amortized over the price of 10000 sellable units or in some kind of NRE payment.

Nobody makes more than what is ordered and paid for then wonders what to do with the excess after the fact. There's always a plan.

Punching paper to 1000 yds is... damn near anything between .223 Rem and 7 PRC... and decidedly NOT .338 Lapua unless the only thing you hate more than money is yourself. Similarly, as often comes up with people that need a hunting gun, either keep using what you're already using or figure out what you actually want this gun to do. There isn't an animal in North America that makes .338 Lapua a practical choice.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
Considering your requirements for long-range target shooting and hunting, PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) is indeed a reputable company known for quality firearms and components. The PWS rifles are known for their accuracy and reliability, making them a suitable choice for precision shooting and hunting.
One model to consider might be the PWS MK220 in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. These rifles are well-regarded for their performance at extended ranges and can serve both purposes effectively. However, it's essential to ensure that the specific model and configuration you choose align with your preferences and needs, such as barrel length and optic compatibility.
Before making a decision, I'd recommend trying out the rifle, if possible, to see how it feels and handles for your intended use. It's a significant investment, so making sure it suits your shooting style and preferences is crucial. Happy shooting and hunting!

AI, AI!

Reactions: nolesfan76
AI indeed; I’ve been eyeballin’ them hard tbh. I know there are ‘better, cheaper’ options but one wants what one wants so currently considering a few on the SH sales page…..but there’s a sale at Eurooptic that’s also pretty compelling.
I think the AT meets my needs/wants more so than the AT-X given I’ve no plans to compete.

Punching paper to 1000 yds is... damn near anything between .223 Rem and 7 PRC... and decidedly NOT .338 Lapua unless the only thing you hate more than money is yourself. Similarly, as often comes up with people that need a hunting gun, either keep using what you're already using or figure out what you actually want this gun to do. There isn't an animal in North America that makes .338 Lapua a practical choice.
I read an essay on this. Someone new to hunting sees an episode of NCIS where SA Gibbs is searching for a killer who is shooting like a sniper. One of the weapons collected is a .338 LM. He reminisces about his days as a Scout Sniper and his weapon was that chambering. So, people think, good enough for the military, then certainly good enough for deer or elk.

However, watching interviews with actual snipers, .338 LM or, modernly, .338 NM is more of a materials round, used for blowing up jeeps and ammo depots, more than using on flesh.

So, a guide gets a new guy who got himself a .338 LM and he cannot shoot a minute of hill because it is too much for him and the recoil is unexpected and unadulterated. So, he convinces him to set it down and hands him a 7 RM or a .300 WM, spend a few shots to get sighted on his shoulder, then he can harvest an animal.

Nothing against .338 LM. Just that it is not needed for hunting or even for long range.

OP,

If you want a 338LM it'll do everything you want, but you are going to throw cubic money at whatever target it's pointed at. As many have stated, there are more affordable ways to have some fun at longer distances.

The bigger problem you'll run into is the Remington M700 action as it's not a good choice for the 338LM. It was learned a long time ago that this action falls miserably short when trying to run a cartridge that big. Especially with 300-grain pills. When fired, the receiver ring and bolt lugs flex slightly. This has the consequence of effectively increasing the distance from the bolt face to the gauge line dimension of the cartridge shoulder while the chamber is at peak pressure. The problem though is the cartridge inflates like a balloon to fill the slight/momentary increase in space. Once the chamber pressure returns to normal, the case becomes squished between the bolt face and the shoulder of the chamber.

This is evident when you attempt to unlock the bolt and extract the case. A hard "tick" is felt when the ramp of the bolt handle engages the opposing ramp of the primary extraction cam. When a shooter experiences this, typically they will see other pressure indicators such as a flat primer, loose primer pocket, and an ejector swipe mark on the case head. In this situation, those issues aren't present because the chamber pressure isn't excessive, the action is being pushed around instead. Shooting 250-grain bullets helps to mitigate most of this, but most will agree that the 338LM cartridge really doesn't start to shine until it's slinging the heavier 300-grain stuff.

I'll throw this in for your consideration. If a bigger/heavier bullet is your primary interest, you might look at the 300 WinMag. Loaded with a 220-grain pill and gassed up to run at 2800+fps, it'll emulate a lot of what the 338LM does ballistically. (Look up the MK248 Mod1 cartridge as it was developed specifically to address almost everything I've described) 13 or so years ago there were issues with this setup as guns were prone to pressuring up. That problem has been solved. I have clients that have successfully pushed 220-grain Sierra bullets up to 3,100fps. Last, the M700 action will tolerate this without issue.

Hope this helps.

C.

I read an essay on this. Someone new to hunting sees an episode of NCIS where SA Gibbs is searching for a killer who is shooting like a sniper. One of the weapons collected is a .338 LM. He reminisces about his days as a Scout Sniper and his weapon was that chambering. So, people think, good enough for the military, then certainly good enough for deer or elk.
To some extent, the shooting community struggles to shed the mindset that shooting at long ranges means take a bullet with aerodynamics resembling a brick and just add SPEED, more SPEED to shoot far-er, gooder (see also: Weatherby, RUM).

The .338 LM has an interesting design history... and one might reasonably infer that a cartridge designed to penetrate soft armor at 1000 meters is overkill for paper as well as (most) hunting (unless your game animal of choice wears armor, of course).

To some extent, the shooting community struggles to shed the mindset that shooting at long ranges means take a bullet with aerodynamics resembling a brick and just add SPEED, more SPEED to shoot far-er, gooder (see also: Weatherby, RUM).

The .338 LM has an interesting design history... and one might reasonably infer that a cartridge designed to penetrate soft armor at 1000 meters is overkill for paper as well as (most) hunting (unless your game animal of choice wears armor, of course).
I also notice a difference in ethics. Snipers will take shots at enemy agents that does not kill right away in order to draw out more enemy agents. Shooting at game animals, the ethical choice is to bring the animal down with a minimum of suffering. One shot one kill better fits the hunter than the sniper. And for assigned targets (part of the confirmed kills list,) a sniper gets closer because the object is to interdict the enemy agent, not have bragging rights about the longest shot ever.

I guess if you wanted to skewer an armadillo at 1,000 yards, it might help. I just pulled that out of my keister. I don't know what it takes to explode an armadillo at that distance.

I have tried to contact them with some of the same questions for days, with no response. If that is what you can expect from their customer service, I would rather avoid the situation altogether.
Yeah, the whole thing seems wonky. I'm on a couple PWS forums and no one seems to know anything including people from PWS! Weird, as their CS is usually really good. Anyway, I'm out and will concentrate on other options more fitting to my needs.

Considering your requirements for long-range target shooting and hunting, PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) is indeed a reputable company known for quality firearms and components. The PWS rifles are known for their accuracy and reliability, making them a suitable choice for precision shooting and hunting.
One model to consider might be the PWS MK220 in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. These rifles are well-regarded for their performance at extended ranges and can serve both purposes effectively. However, it's essential to ensure that the specific model and configuration you choose align with your preferences and needs, such as barrel length and optic compatibility.
Before making a decision, I'd recommend trying out the rifle, if possible, to see how it feels and handles for your intended use. It's a significant investment, so making sure it suits your shooting style and preferences is crucial. Happy shooting and hunting!

Bot

Others beat me to it. .338 LM is way overreaching for both long range accuracy and hunting. In fact, I would choose no bigger than .300 PRC. .300 WM is also a more forgiving choice. But really, you could do both with 7 mm PRC and plenty have hunted with 7 RM effectively.

And if it is just long range, plenty of people love the 6.5 CM but you have to grow a manbun to use it.

Personally, I pick the 7 PRC.
Do you have a 7 PRC?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to clear up the issue of the action on this rifle. I am also considering buying this gun and I am going some research.

I went to PTG's web site and found out they are selling the 700 action that is in this rifle.

"These are surplus actions from our Ukraine 338 Sniper Contract. Very limited supply! Limited to stock, orders will be filled as received.

This kit contains the following items:

• 1 - RH Bolt - 338 Bolt Face See options above
  • 1 - Remington 700 LA SS Cerakote Tactical Receiver
  • 1 - Remington Factory Recoil lug"

Hope this helps.

Link to PTG's website