• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Thread Adaptors

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a new Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel with a non-common 3/4 x 28 thread pitch and I'm looking for ways to adapt it for suppressor use. Exactly no one makes a suppressor in that pitch that I've been able to find.

I will one day likely rethread the barrel, but for now an adaptor will have to do.

Can anyone point me in the direction of those who make custom thread adaptors?

Thanks

Re: Thread Adaptors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DONT buy a thread dapter if you have any thoughts of having it rethreaded, why spend the money twice. Have it threaded from the get go and be done with it. </div></div>

Don't want to rethread it right now. Have a few barrel accessories that I really dig (flash suppressor and muzzle brake) and want to adapt the barrel, not have to chuck out stuff I like to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a new Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel with a non-common 3/4 x 28 thread pitch and I'm looking for ways to adapt it for suppressor use. Exactly no one makes a suppressor in that pitch that I've been able to find.

I will one day likely rethread the barrel, but for now an adaptor will have to do.

Thanks </div></div>

Adapters are no good. Slightest misalignment and you have baffle strike..... needs to be fitted by smith.

YHM makes an adapter for Sabre 6.5G barrels, might try them.

Dont keep the barrel threaded uncommonly just cause you "have a couple cool breaks". Do what is common and make your life easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a new Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel with a non-common 3/4 x 28 thread pitch and I'm looking for ways to adapt it for suppressor use. Exactly no one makes a suppressor in that pitch that I've been able to find.

Thanks </div></div>

Adapters are no good. Slightest misalignment and you have baffle strike..... needs to be fitted by smith.

YHM makes an adapter for Sabre 6.5G barrels, might try them.

Dont keep the barrel threaded uncommonly just cause you "have a couple cool breaks". Do what is common and make your life easier. </div></div>

How is a thread adapter any different than using a QD can considering the exact same alignment issues are in play? I'm not seeing why a thread adapter is any different than using a flash hider or muzzle break like the ones offered at SAS or the QD attachments from surefire et al. In those cases something is threaded on to the barrel and acts as a middle man between barrel and can. Why is a thread adapter so terrible when the acting principle between one and a QD mount is exactly the same?

Your point is well taken. Having said that, they are not the same, the QD is worse.

1. The adapter is two precision threads.
2. Adapter length is shorter
3. Adapter has far less carbon kick-back
4. No hot spots (brake) and potential less dwell time.

QD = Speed Adapter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Your point is well taken. Having said that, they are not the same, the QD is worse.

QD = Speed Adapter

Thanks

.. </div></div>

So your essential theory of ideal is:

Threaded on barrel is ideal
Using thread adapter
QD

?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

QD = Speed Adapter

.. </div></div>

While I understand your point I still disagree. They have their weaknesses and strengths like most other items for rifles BUT, QD is a more cost effective solution for one suppressor to multiple rifles. Ease of transporting the rifle. And sometimes its nice to have a break under your can if you cannot shoot/hunt with the suppressor. They just seem to handy to ignore.

My Shark can came with 3/4-28 thread adapter, I also have 5/8-24 and 1/2-28 adapters for it, once installed on the can you can't tell a thread adapter is there, it's a slick setup, and you won't find a better suppressor at any price IMHO, and David is a one man operation, he builds every can with his two hands, and if a need for CS is required rest assured David will take care of you.

Like 427Cobra said, I have 3/4-28 for bolt guns, 5/8-24 for AR-10 and 1/2-28 to use on .223 AR's and all are used on the same Shark 308 can. Takes all of 2 minutes to swap from one thread to the other. David provides the tool to change them with as well. Buy once cry once.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

QD = Speed Adapter

.. </div></div>

While I understand your point I still disagree. They have their weaknesses and strengths like most other items for rifles BUT, QD is a more cost effective solution for one suppressor to multiple rifles. Ease of transporting the rifle. And sometimes its nice to have a break under your can if you cannot shoot/hunt with the suppressor. They just seem to handy to ignore. </div></div>

I'm very much with KYS338 on this issue. I've used a LOT of different suppressor adapters. A quality "fast-attach" adapter can certainly be very precise. And the benefit of many quality adapters is that the suppressor is less likely to work itself loose over time. This is more an issue on higher cycle rate hosts and auto-loaders.

A quality thread adapter can be a good solution as well. However, you now have another set of threads to worry about working loose.

The fast-attach mounts with which I have the most experience include SureFire, AAC, Ops Inc (well, not really "fast attach" but still applies here), YHM, Gemtech, and KAC. I've personally installed hundreds (actually, probably more like >1000) of fast-attach suppressor mounts and when installed properly on a quality thread there have been no problems at all.

Perhaps my experiences are just very different from other people's.

I think we are all agreeing here, "fast-attach suppressor mounts when installed properly on a quality thread have been no problems at all" no doubt.

The shortest, most precision threaded (both ends) "adapter" is going be more accurate and certainly more efficient within a suppressor then a longer flash hider design. Taking up can real estate for a flash suppressor is a waste of volume. Then there is the issue of the type of bore employed when QD tolerances are involved.

eleaf, yes, if precision shooting is your goal, absolutely.

Thanks for the replies. Gotta love the wealth of info on this board, and the willingness for most to spread the wealth.

After having seen LowLight's suppressor review/comparison video, I'm leaning towards the Shark and simply getting his thread adapters for whatever rifle I'm using at the time.

I've been thinking on getting the Brevis 6.5 can (the only one for 6.5 that I know of), and I may do that in time as, from what I understand a caliber specific can will be more efficient and suppress sound better, but for now I think 1 .308 can for all will do just fine.

QD = Speed Adapter

.. </div></div>

X2. If the QD comes loose, even a very little, big probs happen. QD threads are a lot looser than direct threads. I have a YHM Qd Phantom, only one of my cans that is QD and I won't buy another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clay_breaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

QD = Speed Adapter

.. </div></div>

X2. If the QD comes loose, even a very little, big probs happen. QD threads are a lot looser than direct threads. I have a YHM Qd Phantom, only one of my cans that is QD and I won't buy another one. </div></div>??? Correctly mounted QD mounts are attached using a torque wrench and a bonding agent like Rockset then the suppressor is "locked" on either by the ratch teeth or a spring. A direct thread is only hand tightened to a guesstimated torque. I have had direct thread mounted suppressors come loose during shooting but never had a QD mounted suppressor come loose.

through our testing fast attach adapters on most things above a .223 are not secure/repeatable enough. that being said, we have seen one design that we would have liked to have come up with, have not tested it but it appears to be very solid. generally speaking we have found if there is any moving parts on say a .308 bolt gun, it will shoot loose. maybe not n the first or tenth shot, but it will eventually shoot loose. sorry if i offended you, yes i am in the employ of a manufacturer, it is solely my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suppressedweapons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">through our testing fast attach adapters on most things above a .223 are not secure/repeatable enough. that being said, we have seen one design that we would have liked to have come up with, have not tested it but it appears to be very solid. generally speaking we have found if there is any moving parts on say a .308 bolt gun, it will shoot loose. maybe not n the first or tenth shot, but it will eventually shoot loose. sorry if i offended you, yes i am in the employ of a manufacturer, it is solely my opinion. </div></div>

If that is the conclusion you have drawn from your testing, the only thing I can think to state is that you guys haven't done enough testing. I've shot several "fast-attach" .30-caliber and larger (including .50 BMG) suppressors on full-auto host weapons without issues. And this wasn't like one day at an MG shoot for a few rounds. I've done it frequently for thousands of rounds. So, very respectfully I'd suggest you guys get out and shoot a little more to form a better opinion.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: two4spooky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
??? Correctly mounted QD mounts are attached using a torque wrench and a bonding agent like Rockset then the suppressor is "locked" on either by the ratch teeth or a spring. A direct thread is only hand tightened to a guesstimated torque. I have had direct thread mounted suppressors come loose during shooting but never had a QD mounted suppressor come loose. </div></div>

This is EXACTLY my experience regarding fast-attach mounts. Whenever I see a fast-attach mount it is always because it was installed improperly. However, I have seen some fast-attach suppressors back off their mounts. In fact it is starting to happen with one of my fast-attach suppressors. To be clear the mount is securely on the host but the suppressor uses two springs to "lock" onto the mount and these springs are starting to weaken and not hold the suppressor 100% securely.

bookhound, great! i am glad you have not had a problem, that rocks, all I am saying is that minus the elite few we have seen many problems, maybe not just with shooting loose but maybe with repeatability, i am ecstatic that you have not seen this type of issue. we have. all we are saying is that thread mount is usually more accurate, more repeatable, more reliable. we are not trying to pose an opinion of whose cans are better simply that we have seen problems, as have many others on this site. here are many posts about this just today. you have a great site and would like to know if you have a qa mount we could incorporate into our system. let us know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suppressedweapons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bookhound, great! i am glad you have not had a problem, that rocks, all I am saying is that minus the elite few we have seen many problems, maybe not just with shooting loose but maybe with repeatability, i am ecstatic that you have not seen this type of issue. we have. all we are saying is that thread mount is usually more accurate, more repeatable, more reliable. we are not trying to pose an opinion of whose cans are better simply that we have seen problems, as have many others on this site. here are many posts about this just today. you have a great site and would like to know if you have a qa mount we could incorporate into our system. let us know!

</div></div>

So, am I an "elite few"? LOL. Kewl.

The club isn't so small though. Lots of people have shot many different fast-attach suppressors with similar results to mine.

Regarding "more accurate" I generally agree with you. I find a thread-mount suppressor to typically be more accurate on something like a precision bolt-action. But there are exceptions to that. Any suppressor that locks securely to a mount should not cause accuracy degradation.

Regarding "more repeatable" if you mean indexing then you haven't got a lot of experience with a variety of quality fast-attach suppressors. Quality fast-attach suppressors will always index back to the same spot with a few exceptions like suppressor designs with multiple indexing points built into the mounting solution.

Regarding "more reliable" I don't know how to comment other than to say I don't consider quality fast-attach designs any less reliable than thread-mounting solutions. Maybe we need to define "reliability".

I really don't have a clue what you mean about my site and whether I have a "qa" mounting solution. I don't work for a company that makes suppressors. We sell suppressors. We test suppressors. I used to sell and test a LOT of suppressors at a previous job. But I don't make suppressors or mounting solutions for them.

Sorry if you took my comments in a negative way. They weren't intended to upset you. But I do very much feel if you guys have not experienced fast-attach suppressors that stay secure on their host weapon then you really aren't looking at the right designs. Go look at SureFire, Ops Inc, AAC (M4-2000 and SPR/M4) and KAC for starters. Also, go take a couple carbine classes from reputable instructors and you are sure to see some of these quality products being used for 1000+ rounds a day without having repeatability, reliability or any other issues.

"Any suppressor that locks securely to a mount should not cause accuracy degradation."

"I find a thread-mount suppressor to typically be more accurate on something like a precision bolt-action."

"I don't consider quality fast-attach designs any less reliable than thread-mounting solutions"

"I don't work for a company that makes suppressors. We sell suppressors. We test suppressors. I used to sell and test a LOT of suppressors at a previous job. But I don't make suppressors or mounting solutions for them."

Whatever you say buddy.

"Hey RT, your not going to believe this. I just spoke with a guy that couldn't get his SureFire QD can off his rifle. The thing was carbon locked solid. So he calls SureFire and asks them what to do. Ready? RT they told him to unlatch the can and send a round to bust the can off the QD. Send a round! What a piece of shit design. The guy knows this is a crock so he asks if there is a better way. So I tell him to break the can off the mount after every couple of clips and reattach. He says with what a nomex glove? I say sure, why not or just wait until the can cools enough. He says to me what the f*ck good is QD design that heats up to the point where their is no QD after a few rounds because of heat and no QD after a good number of rounds because of carbon. I tell him the line forms at the rear dude."

"Hey RT, your not going to believe this. I just spoke with a guy that couldn't get his SureFire QD can off his rifle. The thing was carbon locked solid. So he calls SureFire and asks them what to do. Ready? RT they told him to unlatch the can and send a round to bust the can off the QD. Send a round! What a piece of shit design. The guy knows this is a crock so he asks if there is a better way. So I tell him to break the can off the mount after every couple of clips and reattach. He says with what a nomex glove? I say sure, why not or just wait until the can cools enough. He says to me what the f*ck good is QD design that heats up to the point where their is no QD after a few rounds because of heat and no QD after a good number of rounds because of carbon. I tell him the line forms at the rear dude."

</div></div>

So? What is your point?

I've seen that happen with SF and other suppressors. The problem isn't the suppressor (or mount) design. This has happened with thread mount solutions too. The real problem is some people don't understand that you can't just leave a suppressor on the host weapon for long periods of time. This is bad for ALL suppressors regardless of mounting solution used. The reason is that when the can cools after use condensation forms. This can (and eventually will) lead to rust. But it also can form a stick mess of fouling around the mount of suppressors with adapter mounting solutions. The problem can be exacerbated by using ammo with really dirty powder.

So, yeah. Some dude ran his can to the point it got stuck on the rifle. It happens. I do agree it is more likely to happen with fast-attach mounts. So, what is the point? Are you still suggesting thread-mount solutions are superior in all situations? Thread-mount and fast-attach both have their places. Both have strengths and potential weaknesses.

</div></div>

Who did this guy talk to that told him this? I know most of the guys at the office and I cannot picture any of them saying that but I wasn't there. Please can you look into this for me.

Chuck

</div></div>

Good story. Maybe tell your buddy to stop being a puss and grab that can and yank it off! A gym membership wouldnt hurt. Ive seen a thousand rounds shot in one day with a SF can attached and at the end of the day when it cooled down, came right off. I think your "buddy" is just full of S***!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Good story. Maybe tell your buddy to stop being a puss and grab that can and yank it off! A gym membership wouldnt hurt. Ive seen a thousand rounds shot in one day with a SF can attached and at the end of the day when it cooled down, came right off. I think your "buddy" is just full of S***! </div></div>

LOL. I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to put that in writing.
smile.gif

I've shot AAC, SureFire and KAC cans on belt-feds on more than a couple occasions and the cans came off the mounts at the end of the day. Go figure.

we have never seen one lock on, but if a can is left on a gun the condesation fixed with gunpowder residues will create an acidic compound that can and will rapidly destroy a barrel and/or a suppressor. this is one of the reason for a titanium can, although some grades of titanium will also corrode, the rust comes into play on welded cans, as super heating stainless steel often reduces the stainless properties. i am not a metallurgist so not sure exactly why. ask some welders, they may be able to tell you. generally if the tube has carboned onto the host weapon, a little wd40 can and will loosen it, that being said, flush the solvent out of the tube prior to firing. I have never seen a sf tube lock onto a gun, but we have seen them need to be removed to allow to cool to regain the accuracy, at least that is what a swat operator in nc has said. another dept had an issue with non repeatably poi shifts on a .30 cal sf can, but when returned to sf they remedied the situation, i have not spoken to the snipers in that dept since and am not sure if the problem was in fact corrected. once again not trying to stir the pot, sf has a great product and we strive to resemble their sound signature and flash signature in our products, along with kac i feel they set the bar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suppressedweapons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but we have seen them need to be removed to allow to cool to regain the accuracy, at least that is what a swat operator in nc has said. </div></div>

Wait, so have you personally experience this or is this hearsay?

First hand experience is so valuable when making decisions. I spent endless hours on message boards reading reviews and the back and forth arguments about one system vs another. I would get sucked in to believing something was vastly superior only to find out that the theory was different than reality when I actually hit the range. Piston vs DI AR's was an excellent example of this. Unfortunately I have had a difficult time gaining first hand experience before making purchases in this hobby. I really wish I could go back 10 years and tell myself everything I know now. I would have done things so much differently. Truth be told I am currently in the process of selling about 7 of my guns in order to revamp my collection based on the knowledge I have now.

Edit: I will add too that everything bookhound told me/advised me on has pretty much been accurate. As a result when he writes something or tells me something I give it a lot of weight. I really wish I had found him earlier in my journey. In full disclosure I was a customer of his prior business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suppressedweapons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was shooting next to the operator when this transpired, i was not shooting his gun but when he asked for my gloves i inquired why, thats when he told me </div></div>

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

"So? What is your point?

I've seen that happen with SF and other suppressors. The problem isn't the suppressor (or mount) design. This has happened with thread mount solutions too. The real problem is some people don't understand that you can't just leave a suppressor on the host weapon for long periods of time. This is bad for ALL suppressors regardless of mounting solution used. The reason is that when the can cools after use condensation forms. This can (and eventually will) lead to rust. But it also can form a stick mess of fouling around the mount of suppressors with adapter mounting solutions. The problem can be exacerbated by using ammo with really dirty powder.

So, yeah. Some dude ran his can to the point it got stuck on the rifle. It happens. I do agree it is more likely to happen with fast-attach mounts. So, what is the point? Are you still suggesting thread-mount solutions are superior in all situations? Thread-mount and fast-attach both have their places. Both have strengths and potential weaknesses."

Ah, no Mark, that is not the problem. What happened to thousands and thousand of trouble free rounds? This is QD right? QD, not wait WUICD Wait until it cools detach, QD.

Qd has real limitations, not 1,000s and 1,000s of rounds without consequences. Every design of can and adapter, speed adapter, thread on does. No simple answers here. Back to the real world.

"Good story. Maybe tell your buddy to stop being a puss and grab that can and yank it off! A gym membership wouldnt hurt. Ive seen a thousand rounds shot in one day with a SF can attached and at the end of the day when it cooled down, came right off. I think your "buddy" is just full of S***!"

I'll be sure and tell him. Grab that can and yank it off. Perfect.

Honestly, it would be nice if you could learn to hit the QUOTE button. It makes reading your posts containing quotes from other posts much easier.

Now, back on topic...

"So? What is your point?

So, yeah. Some dude ran his can to the point it got stuck on the rifle. It happens. I do agree it is more likely to happen with fast-attach mounts. So, what is the point? Are you still suggesting thread-mount solutions are superior in all situations? Thread-mount and fast-attach both have their places. Both have strengths and potential weaknesses."

Ah, no Mark, that is not the problem. What happened to thousands and thousand of trouble free rounds? This is QD right? QD, not wait WUICD Wait until it cools detach, QD.

Qd has real limitations, not 1,000s and 1,000s of rounds without consequences. Every design of can and adapter, speed adapter, thread on does. No simple answers here. Back to the real world.
</div></div>

Yes, I've stated previously that FA mounting solutions do require cleaning/maintenance. Regarding my comments on suppressors getting stuck, I've seen it happen but not often. And when it did happen it was for the reason I mentioned - someone left the suppressor on the host weapon after firing sessions and it got stuck because of that. That is USER error.

Suppressor mounts (FA) do require user maintenance. No one ever suggested otherwise. I think we're all in agreement about that.

On my properly installed and properly maintained FA mounts I have frequently shot better than a thousand rounds in a single shooting session without issues. Heck, I've got one Sabre Defense 11.5" barrel I put over 30K documented rounds through as a demo gun. This was one of the vanadium Sabre barrels and Sabre wanted us to get it to a 50K round count so they could look at the throat and gas port erosion. It got shot on full-auto more frequently then semi and almost always with an M4-2000 suppressor. The particular suppressor had over 40K rounds put through it. I never once had trouble taking it off that or other host weapons.

To summarize, in my experience...

Fast-attach mounting solutions don't always degrade accuracy of the host weapon although there are certainly some bad FA designs on the market that do hurt accuracy. Some of the better fast-attach mounting solutions provide the same level of accuracy as a quality thread-mount solution.

Fast-attach mounting solutions DO require user maintenance to keep their surface areas clean.

Fast-attach suppressors don't always "fast-detach" when hot simply because the suppressor is too hot to touch with a bare hand. Well, duh. People with half a clue take an appropriate oven mit or something similar to remove the suppressor.

Quality fast-attach mounting solutions do provide for a consistent indexing of the suppressor.

Some fast-attach systems do compensate for potential of slight alignment issues by opening up the apertures. This, of course, trades some sound performance for less chance of baffle/end cap contact. For example, the first generation of "a certain suppressor company (I decided not to name them here)" suppressors had tighter apertures but around the time of the SCAR trials they opened up the apertures a bit after testing with high volumes of full-auto fire resulted in some end cap strikes. For the record the sound difference to the ear was negligible following the change.

Fast-attach suppressors with secure mounts are much less likely to shoot loose/loosen up when shot on auto-loading weapons. There certainly are exceptions to this. I've had thread-mount suppressors run 1500-round weekends in training classes on AR variants without ever loosening up. But in general a quality fast-attach solution is much less likely to work loose on that auto-loading host.

Not all fast-attach type mounts are great designs.

I don't really consider Ops Inc's mounting solutions to be "fast-attach" but for the purposes of this discussion their products are more aligned with the "fast-attach" crowd. I think it is one of the best designed mounting solutions available. It is rock-solid. It won't typically loosen up under full-auto fire. It always indexes back to the same spot. POI shift is minimal on every host I've ever used and it has been a lot. Apertures are tight and sound performance is incredible.

In general I think a dedicated thread-mount solution is preferable to a fast-attach mounting solution on a precision bolt-action host. I strongly suggest having the threads of the host cut specifically for the suppressor for achieve the best possible mounting interface. However, a guy wanting to use the same suppressor on a variety of host weapons might be better served with a quality fast-attach type mounting solution, especially if the hosts all have dissimilar threads.

Everyone has their own unique experiences. Some people might not have a lot of experience yet and their comments reflect that. Some people simply regurgitate information they heard/read somewhere else or are basing an opinion on one isolated incident/case. People really should look for trends over a larger number of test cases before forming an opinion. That rarely happens in the land of the "errornet".

There are exceptions to every issue. Nothing is absolute.

Suppressors are only part of the overall system. People need to understand the host weapon, host's threads, barrel length, barrel twist rate, ammo, environment, system user maintenance, etc. are all factors. So, when evaluating products people should give consideration to all the other factors present.

Continuing this discussion frankly isn't productive and won't help anyone. So, I'll just say...

Take care and have a nice day.
smile.gif

PS, sorry for the pre-coffee ramblings. I hope at least some of that is coherent. And also sorry for any misspelling, grammar errors, etc. I didn't have time to proof read this.