• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Three Prong Flash Hider Orientation

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
Does it matter how you orientate a three prong flash hider? Brownells states when using a crush washer that you must tighten at least 90 degrees and not to exceed 460 degrees. I wanted the flats on the flash hider in the vertical position and could not achieve after 90 degrees so I had to go around about 240 degrees.

Attachments

• Resize 8945©.jpg
    Resize 8945©.jpg
    651.2 KB · Views: 531
No, it doesn't matter. They just don't want you to use too much torque, assuming you're not using a torque wrench. It sounds like you followed the instructions (90 < 240 < 460), did you encounter a problem?

Reactions: Fire4EffectCA
No, it doesn't matter. They just don't want you to use too much torque, assuming you're not using a torque wrench. It sounds like you followed the instructions (90 < 240 < 460), did you encounter a problem?

No problem, but I don't think I could have gone much further without significant force.

No problem, but I don't think I could have gone much further without significant force.

Sounds about right. Not sure what size wrench you're using, but you want it tight, but not so tight you're deforming the barrel. If it was a normal size box wrench, hand tight without trying to use body weight should have been plenty.

Sounds about right. Not sure what size wrench you're using, but you want it tight, but not so tight you're deforming the barrel. If it was a normal size box wrench, hand tight without trying to use body weight should have been plenty.

I used a Magpul Armorer's Wrench.

Attachments

• Resize 3525.jpg
    Resize 3525.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 495
Is that a brake in that video? It looks like one. If so, orientation is very important. With the model in the video, you'd want the ports upwards to offset some of the muzzle rise.

I used a Magpul Armorer's Wrench.

You'll be fine as long as you didn't use body weight to tighten it. Sounds like you stayed within the directed turn amount, so don't sweat it. Grab a torque wrench and a crow's foot in the future so you can torque to spec if you're interested in doing it the 'right' way. :)

You'll be fine as long as you didn't use body weight to tighten it. Sounds like you stayed within the directed turn amount, so don't sweat it. Grab a torque wrench and a crow's foot in the future so you can torque to spec if you're interested in doing it the 'right' way. :)

No, I did not use my body weight, but I could tell the torque was increasing.

BTW: The Brownells video said not to use a torque wrench with crush washers.

No, I did not use my body weight, but I could tell the torque was increasing.

BTW: The Brownells video said not to use a torque wrench with crush washers.

You normally don't use crush washers on muzzle devices in general. I think that's why they had the torque degree amount for that setup. Best way is shims + vibratite if you need them for timing muzzle brakes, and no crush washers + vibratite + torque wrench for flash hiders.

You normally don't use crush washers on muzzle devices in general. I think that's why they had the torque degree amount for that setup. Best way is shims + vibratite if you need them for timing muzzle brakes, and no crush washers + vibratite + torque wrench for flash hiders.

The LMT flash holder comes from the factory with a crush washer and so does LMT factory assembled rifles.

The LMT flash holder comes from the factory with a crush washer and so does LMT factory assembled rifles.

I did not know that, and that's interesting from a machinest's point of view, because it's nearly impossible to ensure a crush washer is uniform thickness all the way around when compressed. I'm sure it's fine on a brake/flash hider, but I definitely wouldn't run one like that on something you're attaching a suppressor to, personally! I still stand by my assertion there is a better way, but I also am sure your method is fine for a flash hider.