• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Thumb hole vs regular stocks

wolfenstien

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
Limington, Maine, USA
Hey guys,
I am looking at starting to build my 10/22. Want to change to a bull barrel and I was wondering what are the advantages and dis advantages of thumb hole stock? I have never shot one so I don't have a clue of what to look for. Thoughts and insights?

Re: Thumb hole vs regular stocks

My Savage came with a thumbhole and 21" bull barrel...it shoots nice and the thumbhole stock, in my opinion, seems to balance the weight on your rear hand; like your forearm is taking the strain instead of your wrist/thumb...

The only disadvantage I could see with the thumbhole stock is its not as quick to get your hand on the rifle, only seems to be a problem if you're going to squirrel hunt with it.

I got addicted to Thumb hole Stocks when I was very young. My father had a Weatherby .300WM that was built for him with a Custom Walnut Stock. Now this isn't a .22 by any means but I love Thumb holes...

Bought a Savage 93 in 17 HMR. It has the thumbhole stock and I did not like it at first but the more I shoot it the better I like it. The grip kinda grows on you.

Depends on the type of shooting you like to do? I find I really like thumbhole stocks when shooting off hand but not as much from the bench. The nice thing with most thumbhole stocks is they do give you a more upright pistol grip type hold but you can get that will some other stocks without going with the thumbhole style

Thumbhole rules. I enjoyed one so much on my Savage 17HMR that I picked up an HS Precision Thumbhole stock for my Remy700 .308.

I feel like I have far more control, over the weapon with a thumbhole. Whether it's actually true or not (could just simply be more comfy which makes me feel more in control) I don't know.

What I do know is that if given an option, a thumbhole stock will get my vote more often than not.