• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Thunder Beast Magnus on 6CM

Does the magnus do better on smaller calibers like 6 and 6.5 creed compared to the G2 338? If im gonna get a big ass can it’s gonna be the quietest.

So If length or weight aren’t an issue the G2 338 is quieter across the board?
Does the magnus do better on smaller calibers like 6 and 6.5 creed compared to the G2 338? If im gonna get a big ass can it’s gonna be the quietest.

For me, the differentiator is the inclusion of the hub thread on the Magnus. I'm already setup for a different mounting system than TBAC's.

If I was setup for TBAC mounting, I would personally pick the 338 ultra over both a Magnus and Ultra 9. From a size perspective, there's a lot of crossover between these 3 cans, and like you, at that point I would pick the quietest.

Reactions: Jnull
For me, the differentiator is the inclusion of the hub thread on the Magnus. I'm already setup for a different mounting system than TBAC's.

If I was setup for TBAC mounting, I would personally pick the 338 ultra over both a Magnus and Ultra 9. From a size perspective, there's a lot of crossover between these 3 cans, and like you, at that point I would pick the quietest.
I really don’t care about sharing mounting systems since most of my guns have dedicated suppressors, I get whatever fits a particular hosts needs best.

I just put 3 in jail the other day and all 3 have different mounting systems because I got them for a specific host. CGS Hyperion K, Helios QD Ti and tbac dominus CB. A magnus or 338 would probably get whored around to 2 maybe 3 range only rifles so they’d all just use the same tbac brake.

Reactions: kthomas
I really don’t care about sharing mounting systems since most of my guns have dedicated suppressors, I get whatever fits a particular hosts needs best.

I just put 3 in jail the other day and all 3 have different mounting systems because I got them for a specific host. CGS Hyperion K, Helios QD Ti and tbac dominus CB. A magnus or 338 would probably get whored around to 2 maybe 3 range only rifles so they’d all just use the same tbac brake.

Dedicated cans are the way to go, on that point I certainly agree if you can afford it.

I like tinkering and playing "Lego" with my rifles, so the ability to swap different cans around on different rifles and cartridges is fun for me. Especially since I'm still trying to figure out which cans fit the "sweet spot" for suppression and length/weight for different rifles.

Plus, I'm a "poor" again (swapped careers, currently going back to school), so for the time being I need cans to be versatile to be swapped around. The only dedicated can I have at the moment is my TacOps can, but at some point I would like to have dedicated cans for all my rifles like you.

Whole Event.png

We also collected shooter's ear waveforms for a primed (cci BR2) case and a spent case. Here the Shooter's ear waveform in Pascals for all 4 shots.

Peak values are:
Live ammo (blue): 123.8 dB
Empty chamber (gray): 122.8 dB
Primed case (red): 110.5 dB
Spent case (black): 111.3 dB

The empty chamber is louder because a resonance is occuring from the firing pen bottoming out in the bolt. When the firing pin strikes a primer that impact deadens the resonance of the firing pin assembly. That resonance occurs immediately after the firing pin bottoms out.

Firing Pin Impact Peaks.png

If we zoom in a litte further we can see peak values for the impact/ignition. The firing pin impacts are noted on the plot. Live ammo, spent case and primed case all hit at roughly the same time. The empty chamber firing pin bottoms out in the bolt later because it is traveling slightly further to bottom out withough a cartridge there (about .25 milliseconds later). The plot also shows how the resonance for the empty chamber waveform begins immediately after the firing pin bottoms out.

The values for the impact/ignition on the cases are:
Live ammo (primer and powder ignition): 114.9 dB
Primed case (primer iginition): 110.5 dB
Spent case (Firing pin hitting a dead primer): 107.8 dB

@Lawnboi,

Spun my 223 barrel on and got numbers shooting the Magnus today. Ammo was M193 55gr. Barrel length is 26" which puts the MV at 3350-3400.

With supersonic crack
Mil Spec: 133.2 dB
Ear: 121.6 dB

Ignoring the supersonic crack
Mil Spec: 124.1 dB
Ear: 114.5 dB

Will post a waveform shortly that shows the action noise and supressor report at ear (ignoring the supersonic crack) are roughly the same with the action being slightly higher.

@Lawnboi,

Spun my 223 barrel on and got numbers shooting the Magnus today. Ammo was M193 55gr. Barrel length is 26" which puts the MV at 3350-3400.

With supersonic crack
Mil Spec: 133.2 dB
Ear: 121.6 dB

Ignoring the supersonic crack
Mil Spec: 124.1 dB
Ear: 114.5 dB

Will post a waveform shortly that shows the action noise and supressor report at ear (ignoring the supersonic crack) are roughly the same with the action being slightly higher.
Very impressive with a 30 cal aperture.

Now I just need to decide if my next will be an ultra 9 6.5 or a magnus. Likely to be used on range guns and predator/varmint use. Got a ultra 7 to cover my other bases.

Now I just need to decide if my next will be an ultra 9 6.5 or a magnus. Likely to be used on range guns and predator/varmint use. Got a ultra 7 to cover my other bases.
I personally wouldn’t buy a 9 over the magnus, I’ll live with the extra diameter and weight for better performance both being the same length.