• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Tig Welders?

weazer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2005
Edgerton, Ohio
Guy's, looking to pick up a decent smaller Tig welder. It does not have to be facny, but I would like to be able to weld aluminum with it. I know that feature jumps up the price of them quite a bit. What are your opinions on brands any better than others for Tig?

Thanks

Re: Tig Welders?

what type of amperage range are you requiring? are you fairly familiar with what is needed? I am a AWS Certified Welding Inspector, if you have any questions feel free to get ahold of me. Dependant upon what welding distributors are around you, I have good ties with most of the bigger ones. There are alot of questions that should be answered before I can give you a fairly accurate idea of cost. For a tig welder prices can range from roughly $1000 and up. You can actually tig weld off of an ac/dc smaw buzz box, if you have the correct hardware.

not much help but more info and I can lead you in the proper direction.

Matt

I too have been looking into getting a TIG welder at home. Every time I go looking I always come back to the Miller Dynasty System specifically the dynasty 200dx.

i hate to say it, but i have been looking at the cheaper stuff from harbor freight just to get my hands on a TIG unit. i have a stick and MIG already and have just always wanted to try one. but im not looking to start at $1k myself. i have a buddy that made one from an alternator and dimmer control from a ford. runs the alternator off his compressors motor. im sure they get better as you pay more, but if you want to play first, id go cheap then upgrade. i started with a 90A wire fed from there and ended up with a lincoln pro-mig, and the old headstone stick welder. i do wish i had jumped on the ac/dc lincold when i had the chance. i heard i could tig with that

ClarksTIGwelderLincoln185.jpg

This is my TIG welder.
They are easy to buy.
But like learning to read and write, it takes some effort learn to make nice TIG welds.

Mickey Mouse would be proud of how I got 220VAC high Amperage connected to the TIG welder from two 110 circuits, but my wife, an EE, was not. She bitched at me that I had better un plug that thing when not in use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weazer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy's, looking to pick up a decent smaller Tig welder. It does not have to be facny, but I would like to be able to weld aluminum with it. I know that feature jumps up the price of them quite a bit. What are your opinions on brands any better than others for Tig?

Thanks </div></div>

For aluminum you will need AC and high frequency. As far as machines go, I feel you have Miller and the rest of them. You would be better off burning your money rather than spend it on a Chinese TIG welder, at least your pain would be gone after the fire is out on the bills. Trying to weld with a shit box lasts for as long as you keep trying. I would rather get an old Syncrowave than a brand new base model, they both will cost about the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weazer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy's, looking to pick up a decent smaller Tig welder. It does not have to be facny, but I would like to be able to weld aluminum with it. I know that feature jumps up the price of them quite a bit. What are your opinions on brands any better than others for Tig?

Thanks </div></div>

For aluminum you will need AC and high frequency. As far as machines go, I feel you have <span style="color: #FF0000">Miller</span> and the rest of them. You would be better off burning your money rather than spend it on a Chinese TIG welder, at least your pain would be gone after the fire is out on the bills. Trying to weld with a shit box lasts for as long as you keep trying. I would rather get an old Syncrowave than a brand new base model, they both will cost about the same. </div></div>

I would agree with this, other than the fact that I would replace Miller with Lincoln.... I have seen alot of Millers shit the bed....

welding machines are like good glass, buy once, cry once.....

the Precision Tig, or the Square Wave Tig would be great...
if you can afford it, the Invertec series welders are awesome, light,powerful, and have advanced AC balance and pulse settings.... making them very diverse...

I personally prefer the Lincoln machines myself. I have a Square wave TIG 275 which has all sorts of electronic bells and whistles. I can also stick weld with it and if I ever wanted to spend some throw-away cash I could get a wirefeed setup for it but thats unlikely. The Millers are actually very good systems too but like the old Ford versus Chevy argument each side knows the other is crap. From watching a lot of welders over the years it seems that the system you learned to use first is the one you'll love. I started with Lincoln. The stuff you get from harbor freight is sometimes worth what you pay for it and sometimes not. As with most of their tools if you don't use them often or heavily you might be ok. Electrical stuff doesn't seem to be the chinese strongpoint however so think twice about buying something crappy from china. You can usually find good quality welding equipment in the trader paper or online classifieds here and there and as others have noted...buy quality once or crap often. I don't know about Miller but Lincoln makes a very nice TIG Squarewave 175 machine that is reasonably priced, small and portable, can be found used even cheaper and is a very good system for smaller jobs in either steel or aluminum.
Good luck in your search.

Frank

I have a Lincoln MIG and a Miller TIG. Both companies make good kit, it just depends on what you're used to using.

If you are going to be welding aluminum, you will want to consider a water cooled torch.

It is hard to justify a large machine for just part time use. It might be better to find somebody local to you that has a machine and buy them lunch when you need something done.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weazer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy's, looking to pick up a decent smaller Tig welder. It does not have to be facny, but I would like to be able to weld aluminum with it. I know that feature jumps up the price of them quite a bit. What are your opinions on brands any better than others for Tig?

Thanks </div></div>

For aluminum you will need AC and HF.

As far as machines go, I feel you have Miller and the rest of them. You would be better off burning your money rather than spend it on a Chinese TIG welder, at least your pain would be gone after the fire is out on the bills. Trying to weld with a shit box lasts for as long as you keep trying. I would rather get an old Syncrowave than a brand new base model, they both will cost about the same.</div></div>

Agree with JMorris, look until you find a Miller Syncrowave 250 for your "starter" unit, and do not waste your money on something else.

For aluminum you will want the high-frequency AC, and if you intend to join anything thicker than thin sheet, you'll want a water-cooler for the torch (the later Syncrowaves have the water cooler built in, earlier models it is separate).

For aluminum GTAW you can use pure tungsten, or zirconiated tungsten. When welding mild steel, stainless steels, or nickel alloys, use 2% Thoriated tungsten.

Also, pay attention to good grounding and EMF shielding practices when using your high-frequency machines. You can screw up the TV, radio, and various electrical equipment/instruments around you when it is in use. Noticed many years ago that fluorescent light ballasts tend to die quickly near a high-frequency machine that gets used a lot.

I have a Miller Dynasty 200DX and I really like it! Call some of your local weld supply shops and see if they have any demo models they are selling, good way to get a fairly new welder for much cheaper.

I picked up a Lincoln Invertec V250-S stick/TIG machine a couple of years ago, and I have been very happy with the machine. I taught myself how to TIG weld, and have had a lot of fun doing it. Only issue is, mine is a DC only machine (so no aluminum for me). I'd love to get a Precision TIG 185, and almost bought one last year off CL for $700 (but someone beat me to it).

I can tell you, though, listen to the guys above. Welding machines are just like scopes. Buy once, cry once!

I've had a Miller XMT304 cc/cv for over 10 years. Can run MIG, TIG or stick with it but anymore all I use it for is TIG.

No doubt it payed for itself long ago. The versatility of the machine is its greatest attribute and the only problem I've ever had with it is the cooling fan control.

I agree with RAD if you're looking at something for small projects, you might be better off just having someone do the work for you. Getting into a decent rig isn't cheap and many a welding job can be payed for before you'd break even. Just something to consider.

An aluminum welder is much larger than what would be needed to weld stainless or other steel like metals. There are lots of good used welders around. I would much prefer buying a good used welder than a new piece of junk. I have had Miller and some others, and the Miller did seem to be just a great machine.

One thing you should plan on investing in is a GOOD electrode sharpener. These cost over $700. They make welding easier, especially when working on thin sections. These also reduce entrapment of impurities in the weld. I own a Piranha from Diamond Ground, and it is excellent.
-Steve

For sharpening the electrodes, all I've used is a flap wheel on an angle grinder. The angle grinder was mounted into a vice via a lug mounted where the fore-handle would normally be. Trigger engaged and locked.

The electrode itself was chucked into a cordless drill.

This way, it is easy to clean, taper, point, radius, or whatever you want. I did a 'selection' at a time, and keep/kept them in organized boxes. This way, when an electrode gets shitted, just swap em out, and keep on rocking.

keep in mind the amount of power required to run a tig machine when welding aluminum. most house garages are not going to be able to handle that without a dedicated circuit added. i run my syncrowave 200 off a 50a dedicated circuit and it trips it even when trying to weld .1" aluminum.

i have not used one but i believe an inverter style tig machine requires less input amperage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmedearis509</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of amperage range are you requiring? are you fairly familiar with what is needed? I am a AWS Certified Welding Inspector, if you have any questions feel free to get ahold of me. Dependant upon what welding distributors are around you, I have good ties with most of the bigger ones. There are alot of questions that should be answered before I can give you a fairly accurate idea of cost. For a tig welder prices can range from roughly $1000 and up. You can actually tig weld off of an ac/dc smaw buzz box, if you have the correct hardware.

not much help but more info and I can lead you in the proper direction.

Matt </div></div>

I'm not an expert by any means, but a MIG with a spoolgun will weld aluminum all day long, and for a fraction of the expense.

FWIW

Wire feeds for aluminum are fine for the bigger stuff but for small, intricate or thin walled material tig is the way to go. Not saying it can't be done with a wire feed, just better/easier with tig.

I apologize for hijacking but, on a sidenote, I have a Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300 for sale. It also doubles as a stick welder. Big, heavy machine so shipping might be prohibitive but I'm only asking $600 for it.

I started with a Miller EconoTig. My projects outgrew the equipment very quickly so I upgraded to a Miller Synchrowave 350 with a watercooled torch. The current range and pulser made all the difference. Try to figure out what the long term goal is so you can buy the appropriate equipment once. Upgrading is expensive.

FWIW, I tried a spool gun on my 350, but absolutely hated it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started with a Miller EconoTig. My projects outgrew the equipment very quickly so I upgraded to a Miller Synchrowave 350 with a watercooled torch. The current range and pulser made all the difference. Try to figure out what the long term goal is so you can buy the appropriate equipment once. Upgrading is expensive.

FWIW, I tried a spool gun on my 350, but absolutely hated it. </div></div>

Isn't the syncrowave 350 CC? Harder to mig with CC, you want CV for mig.

I learned to Tig with a chinese welder, nothing wrong with it. If you're doing it for a living using it all day everyday then invest in something better, but just for home use they're fine. Just buy it from somewhere with good after sales service.

I have a Miller Sync. wave 180 and its a good machine. If your going to weld thick aluminum you want the most amps you can afford. I have welded 1/8 aluminum without issue. I got a great deal on a water cooler and torch so I added it on. I put off getting a decent TIG unit becasue I always had access to a Miller 250 at work. Its not PC to take gun projects to work so I bit the bullet and bought one for home use.

The inverter units look attractive but I never had a chance to try a newer one. Miller & Lincoln would be my first two picks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing you should plan on investing in is a GOOD electrode sharpener. These cost over $700. They make welding easier, especially when working on thin sections. </div></div>

Waist of $700, I use a drill chuck on the end of a file handle and a 1” belt sander I built from an old dryer motor used just for sharpening tungsten. Bench grinders work fine too with the right wheel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm not an expert by any means, but a MIG with a spoolgun will weld aluminum all day long, and for a fraction of the expense.
</div></div>

I have been a professional welder for years and have used many different MIG and TIG machines for all types of metals and there are a lot of things you can do with a TIG that a MIG just can’t do. About the only thing a TIG can’t do that a MIG can relates to production speed.

Go get a spool gun MIG and give this a shot.

tig.jpg

Not that high really... Hobart's are generally cheaper than some of their Miller counterparts (or clones of them depending on the model)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dazza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Isn't the syncrowave 350 CC? Harder to mig with CC, you want CV for mig. </div></div>

That could be. Now that I think about it, my Millermatic 250 Mig setup is constant voltage. Mig and Tig.... gotta have both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dazza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Isn't the syncrowave 350 CC? Harder to mig with CC, you want CV for mig. </div></div>

That could be. Now that I think about it, my Millermatic 250 Mig setup is constant voltage. Mig and Tig.... gotta have both! </div></div>

Damn right, can never have too many toys
laugh.gif