• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka CTR stock + KRG Tool-less Buttpad Height Mechanism

SawBoss

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2018
Pinedale, Wyoming
I'm sure someone else has done this, but I haven't come across it so figured it was worth sharing. This idea popped into my head while looking at chassis options for my CTR. I'm one of the few who actually like some aspects of the factory stock- the comb height works well for me, and the rifle is more than accurate for it's duties as a hunting gun. One thing I did want was more adjustability in the recoil pad-shoulder area. It occurred to me that the adjustable buttpad mechanism for the KRG Bravo chassis was very similar in dimensions to the stock Tikka buttpad.

So I ordered one to see how it would work- turns out, pretty damn well. It's not a perfect fit- slightly narrower at the top and wider at the bottom, but well within what I consider acceptable. I was able to use the factory recoil pad screws to attach the KRG part to the stock, and the supplied KRG screws fit the Tikka pad. I did have to relieve a small area in the inner stock plastic for the adjustment knob screw, but it only needed a few millimeters of material removed. Otherwise everything fit together perfectly. Doesn't quite look factory, but it's not far off. For $70 I now have a much more functional stock with recoil pad height and cant adjustment. It does add about 0.5" LOP over the factory 2 spacers, but that might be a plus for some. I'm on the shorter side, so I'll be looking for a shorter recoil pad to take away a little bit of the added length.

IMG_4367.jpg
IMG_4375.jpg
IMG_4374.jpg

I have to say, I put one on a Bravo and thought it was a clever, and well thought out design. Now if they could just add vertical adjustment... :p

Seriously though, their adjustable buttpad is (to me) a gotta have on any of their chassis. It just makes the rifle fit so much better.