• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka CTR vs Tikka t3x Lite

VandelayIndustries

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2022
Ask
If you were going to change the stock out for a Manners or McMillan is it still worth it to go with the CTR?
Difference's are CTR has better mags, a pic rail on the action, anything else?

I have both in .308 and they shoot exceptionally well. Couldn't say one shoots better than the other. I'd suspect with the heavier barrel the CTR would do better for longer strings of fire vs the Lite as the barrel gets hotter. Haven't tested that, so just a theory. The Lite does have noticeably more felt recoil being 2 lbs lighter than my CTR setup.

The Lite is my hunting rifle and I put my CTR in a KRG.

Reactions: Mudflap621
Good input already I think it really depends on your use. If its going to be a hunting rifle that doesn't see longer strings of fire I see no problem with the lite. I did notice that my lite 308 would start to walk after 4-5 rounds. If your going to be shooting fast id go with the heavier barrel.

Tough one. Are you going to keep the stock barrel? How important is weight?

If I were going to go with a new stock, I'd probably go with the lite. If the barrel doesn't work for you, then re-barrel - the price difference of the ctr vs the lite would get your half way towards a very nice pre-fit.

Reactions: Mudflap621
The only real difference is the barrel weight, ultimately you can set either rifle up with what ever mags and picatinny rail you like.

The CTR barrel will be better suited for a target/match rifle and the lite better for hunting (assuming less weight is preferable).

My 260 T3 lite held up surprisingly well under long strings of fire, I used it as my first match rifle for 5 or so matches and it performed admirably but a heavier barrel is definitely more suited to firing 10 shots in 60seconds vs a pencil thin barrel like you might do in a shooting match.

I have a CTR I’ve put in a Manners with AICS mag bottom metal. It’s a great gun and I didn’t have to change anything out o make it run well. I love the Manners T4A stock and I was able to put a can on the gun off the bat without having the barrel machined.

The Lite barrel could be a lighter profile than it is. The CTR I think is comparable to a Medium Palma and it does well with sustained fire.

Don't forget that the CTR barrel is already threaded. The lite is somewhat small for threading with the size recommendations for threads. For what I wanted (lefty stainless) I had to go lite. Sent the barreled action off to Thunderbeast to get them to install a face mount cb brake for my can (its still in jail).
20211010_124725.jpg

I put together a tikka 101 guide a few years ago. Post 3273 in the tikka thread on page 66.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tikka-t3-thread.6252615/post-7301418

Don't forget that the CTR barrel is already threaded. The lite is somewhat small for threading with the size recommendations for threads. For what I wanted (lefty stainless) I had to go lite. Sent the barreled action off to Thunderbeast to get them to install a face mount cb brake for my can (its still in jail).
View attachment 7833120

I put together a tikka 101 guide a few years ago. Post 3273 in the tikka thread on page 66.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tikka-t3-thread.6252615/post-7301418
Make sure you use a good gunsmith, had a customer that had a shorter barrel by the time it was done due to the wannabe gunsmith not taking into consideration the smaller barrel diameter.

If you're not looking for a lighter weight hunting gun for long walks, I'm going to throw a wrench into this.
If you're going to ditch the stock eventually, look at the T3X Super Varmint.
Slightly heavier barrel than the CTR, Adjustable Cheek Riser, already has the wider forend and more vertical grip, Threaded muzzle and a two stage trigger.

I have a CTR I’ve put in a Manners with AICS mag bottom metal. It’s a great gun and I didn’t have to change anything out o make it run well. I love the Manners T4A stock and I was able to put a can on the gun off the bat without having the barrel machined.

The Lite barrel could be a lighter profile than it is. The CTR I think is comparable to a Medium Palma and it does well with sustained fire.
The ctr contour is comparable to a light palma. The tikka varmint barrels are comparable to medium palma.

Reactions: UpSideDown
Make sure you use a good gunsmith, had a customer that had a shorter barrel by the time it was done due to the wannabe gunsmith not taking into consideration the smaller barrel diameter.
Thunderbeast Arms (the silencer manufacturer) does the work for that brake themselves. Can't get it from them to have someone else do it. Price was reasonable as well. I have trusted Long Rifles Inc for threading before.

I work as a machinist and have machined lots of threads myself. That makes me a little more picky in who I let do work and how they make sure the thread is good. Can't do guns at work though. I also grind threads these days that have a different radius that makes it not interchangeable with gun stuff anyway.

If you're not looking for a lighter weight hunting gun for long walks, I'm going to throw a wrench into this.
If you're going to ditch the stock eventually, look at the T3X Super Varmint.
Slightly heavier barrel than the CTR, Adjustable Cheek Riser, already has the wider forend and more vertical grip, Threaded muzzle and a two stage trigger.
Man, I have been watching for a T3X Super Varmint ever since I discovered it, but they must be pretty rare. I have been using an in-stock scanner and have never seen it come in stock, at least in the caliber I'm watching for.

Reactions: DROWN