• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Tikka or Solus

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking to pick up a rifle to use for range use and hunting from a blind.

Mainly leaning towards the tikka SV in 6.5 as I had one before and regret letting it go.

Other option is aero solus or the stag pursuit. Price is around the same $1500-$1600 for both.

I don’t plan on swapping stocks or any of that, just want a good solid accurate rifle to shoot steel and deer with.

Any reason to go with aero over tikka in this case?

My main reason for considering the aero, I know the firing pin holes are smaller than most factory rifles, so me running SRP wouldn’t be an issue, but I’ve never had a problem with tikka either. Only savage/remington/bergara/Ruger in that aspect.

Reactions: NEC012
    I have had plenty of Tikka’s in the past and and still use one for my 7prc hunting rig. The Solus has won a place in my heart. It’s simple no frills approach, coupled with a smooth bolt throw and lift make for a nice rifle. If starting from scratch I would definitely recommend going Solus.

I have had plenty of Tikka’s in the past and and still use one for my 7prc hunting rig. The Solus has won a place in my heart. It’s simple no frills approach, coupled with a smooth bolt throw and lift make for a nice rifle. If starting from scratch I would definitely recommend going Solus.
    Do you think the factory aero barrels will compete with tikka barrel accuracy?

• Wow
    Reactions: Bakwa
    I don’t have experience with their barrels, I went aftermarket on mine. From what I’ve gathered here on the site the aero barrels are plenty accurate though. Tikka barrels are usually very accurate as well but always leave you wanting more speed.
    On that note, I only have varget powder, so in 6.5, I was going to use 130’s and varget for the speed increase

I was going off Hornady book. They show varget to outdo h4350 in the 130 class.

Maybe you’re right though.
    IMG_7364.png

Reactions: Hondo1
    I've got a couple solus action, they aren't bad at all. Feed well from aw/aics mags, accept rem700 triggers and chassis. The headspace on the two I measured are dead nuts to zermatt origin, so they take readily available prefits. That'd be the route I'd go. Solus action, TT Special, proof origin prefit in your cartridge of choice, and whatever chassis tickles your fancy. I'm not a huge fan the solus chassis as it's not rigid, and adding any weights to the exterior forend blocks the arca rail. I also have a really hard time mentally putting a ballistic advantage barrel on anything but a 50y ar blaster, cuz their accuracy and consistency is poor in my experience.

SOLUS. Their hunting version probably all you need. I was really happy with my SOLUS when I T&E the action. I'll have another someday.
    Midway had a the 308 and 6.5creed hunting version for 1500 on sale. Smoking deal and a buddy snagged one of those. His first handload test showed 140eldm and 43.0gr h4350 with 10rds inside 1" and 8 were 5/8 to 3/4".

Reactions: FredHammer
    I've got a couple solus action, they aren't bad at all. Feed well from aw/aics mags, accept rem700 triggers and chassis. The headspace on the two I measured are dead nuts to zermatt origin, so they take readily available prefits. That'd be the route I'd go. Solus action, TT Special, proof origin prefit in your cartridge of choice, and whatever chassis tickles your fancy. I'm not a huge fan the solus chassis as it's not rigid, and adding any weights to the exterior forend blocks the arca rail. I also have a really hard time mentally putting a ballistic advantage barrel on anything but a 50y ar blaster, cuz their accuracy and consistency is poor in my experience.
    +1 to all this plus the option to switch bolt heads is another big plus for the Solus... Hopefully they'll have a .223 bolt head out sometime soon to go with the standard .473 & magnum ones

I love both my tikkas (6.5 CM CTR and 6.5 PRC setup for long action) but if I was starting over, I'd do the solus. Just many more options for the tinkerer

My next build will be the lightweight solus action with a proof or PVA carbon barrel in 25 creed.

Last edited:
    While my factory Aero Solus .308 Win barrel has been extremely picky, and it did NOT like Nosler 168 Custom Comps or Nosler 210 RDF's (like all my other .308's do...🙄)... It decided it wants to be "speshul" and seems to like the Hornady 168 ELD-M bullets with Varget...

Like was mentioned, the Solus is leaps and bounds ahead of any factory action out there...It's super smooth, and uses 700 clone triggers and runs in a 700 footprint, so stocks/chassis options are limitless. The internal 20MOA rail is really nice, and the fact you can buy Origin prefits for it really adds some extra brownie points for it. The 3-lug 60º bolt throw design is really nice, handles pressure very well and evenly, and the dual ejectors really slings the brass. Other than the barrel being really picky about bullets, I've been extremely impressed and don't have any other complaints so far.

This is from the first round of load development on Sunday, I'll test this load again this weekend, to see if the results compare. It's only 4 shots, because I needed the first shot to check POI on a different target, since it was sighted in for my previous load testing with the Noslers.

image_cropper_2DF6F4C3-0713-44A1-B483-B993EC29C729-563-0000043D0D277CF0.jpeg

Reactions: 6brshooter
    Unpopular opinion here.
    I vote Tikka.
    Known great performance and handling. Less money to get what you really want.
    The T3X has basically been a custom [non modular] action for us here in the US all along. Trued strait from the factory and ready for pre-fits.
    To top it off, somehow we get them the cheapest out of almost every country in the world. We're freaking spoiled.

Unpopular opinion here.
    I vote Tikka.
    Known great performance and handling. Less money to get what you really want.
    The T3X has basically been a custom [non modular] action for us here in the US all along. Trued strait from the factory and ready for pre-fits.
    To top it off, somehow we get them the cheapest out of almost every country in the world. We're freaking spoiled.
    They are good for a cheap rifle. I mean they feel nice and have a decent trigger, they do tend to shoot pretty good but are slow. I have saw several reports of bolt handle breaking off bolt body and a few extractor side lug getting broke along with bolt stop pin breaking on the regular. There aren't alot of good trigger options for a Tikka, maybe bix and krg, but both are spendy. The solus benefits from integral lug, integral rail, replaceable bolt head, common 700 trigger and stocks. The 700 parts really open the door for economy of scale and being able to find a stock that you like in the classifieds here. Tikka, not so much.

They are good for a cheap rifle. I mean they feel nice and have a decent trigger, they do tend to shoot pretty good but are slow. I have saw several reports of bolt handle breaking off bolt body and a few extractor side lug getting broke along with bolt stop pin breaking on the regular. There aren't alot of good trigger options for a Tikka, maybe bix and krg, but both are spendy. The solus benefits from integral lug, integral rail, replaceable bolt head, common 700 trigger and stocks. The 700 parts really open the door for economy of scale and being able to find a stock that you like in the classifieds here. Tikka, not so much.
    Bolt handle breaking? Maybe 3 total that I know of.
    Triggers? Try a $10 trigger spring first. Not your typical factory trigger. Also timney makes one.

I've had a few samples of both Tikka and Solus. Accuracy & speed appears to be equal on both. Bolt lift and smoothness is very similar.

Hunting gun that I don't plan on swapping stocks or barrels: Tikka Roughtech all the way. They are great guns. No need to spend the extra $400+ on a Solus.

Range gun that might see some mods: Solus. You can't beat that modularity for the price.

The spring is ok for a 1.25-1.5lb pull, any lighter and the trigger reset/pull consistency is crap(I've had 2 Tikka and been around 6-7 others) . Only options for 2 stage trigger is trg22 or krg trigger, both spendy(again I had a trg22 trigger on my tikka). Try getting warranty work done by Beretta or buy bolt parts for tikka......good luck. Lri literally started making a bolt to improve on Tikka weaknesses, while also providing parts for said bolt. The bolt breaking was not super widespread, ill give you that, but a rifle falling over on the bench(8") should not break a handle off. Look at a Tikka bolt handle attachment method and tell me that inspires confidence.

What's your counter point to pluses of using 700 parts, too many choices cause indecision, lol?

Reactions: FuhQ
    Only options for 2 stage trigger is trg22 or krg trigger, both spendy(again I had a trg22 trigger on my tikka).
    Can be found for ~$200. Right on par with most 2 stage Rem700 triggers

There's also the factory 2 stage trigger that comes in a few models.

But with the prices the Solus goes for, that's the right route.

Reactions: YotaEer
    What's your counter point to pluses of using 700 parts, too many choices cause indecision, lol?

Mine would be that you don't see a new thread on the hide every week about tikka triggers failing or contributing to NDs like you do with 700 triggers. For a guy who "just wants a good solid accurate rifle to shoot steel and deer with", I think the tikka trigger is great.

Mine would be that you don't see a new thread on the hide every week about tikka triggers failing or contributing to NDs like you do with 700 triggers.
    I can’t say with first-person authority that the Tikka trigger design is more immune than the Rem700’s in regards to getting effed up by the environment.

But it sorta seems that way. It would be nice to see some sort of test.

But it is way easier to remove or change a Tikka trigger! 1000%!

Although, the Zeus action has patented threaded trigger pins…obv the Solus does not.

If Aero ever does make a 223 bolthead…
    Then, if you are a smaller caliber aficionado, I think Tikka’s (way shorter) CTR mags work a bit better for 204 than my Accurate AICS Mags do. For best reliability, I have to shave some plastic out of the Accurate Mags.

Mine would be that you don't see a new thread on the hide every week about tikka triggers failing or contributing to NDs like you do with 700 triggers. For a guy who "just wants a good solid accurate rifle to shoot steel and deer with", I think the tikka trigger is great.

Maybe because the people using the Tikka are keeping the trigger weights high for hunting and the people using 700 triggers are turning them down farther than they should for targets. Plenty of good 700 triggers out there that won't fail. Also an ND is not a trigger issue. It's a shooter issue.

But it is way easier to remove or change a Tikka trigger! 1000%!

Yeah those two pins on a 700 trigger are sooooo hard to push out. LOL Takes all of 15 seconds and trigger pops out.

So, Tikka fans, ctr at 1200 and add a 350.00 bravo or a solus bravo version for 1400? If you want a skinny barrel hunting rifle in a plastic stock that shoots decent for under 800, then Tikka is probably the best bet of commercial rifles. I think when you start comparing a Tikka to any custom action, the Tikka starts showing flaws. I'm glad you like your Tikka, rock on. Rob is dead on, super duper light pulls combined with less than optimal top sear engagement can cause a problem, but happen .5% more than Tikka bolt handles breaking. And whoever mentioned a timney as quality.....hard pass. There's 3 good triggers for a tikka: trg22, krg midas, and Bic. If it ain't on that list it's sus af.

Yeah those two pins on a 700 trigger are sooooo hard to push out. LOL Takes all of 15 seconds and trigger pops out.
    Well, on my factory Rem700 the pins are in there pretty tight. I’m definitely pounding on them for a bit, and the factory bolt release part gets in the way. Irritating.

But I suppose with clones, with their modern bolt releases doing away with the factory’s obstruction, it’s not as big a deal.

Really sucks if I let the factory bolt release parts “sproing” away lol.

Reactions: Rob01
    Mainly leaning towards the tikka SV in 6.5 as I had one before and regret letting it go.
    There's 3 good triggers for a tikka: trg22, krg midas, and Bic. If it ain't on that list it's sus af.
    I have an SV and that factory two-stage is pretty nice. I haven’t opened it up to see if one can replace a spring (or two) to lighten the pull.

So, depending on your trigger pull prefs, the SV’s two stager might make @6brshooter ’s list. I think it certainly would if one could lighten it up a little.

Pity one cannot buy the trigger separately. Beretta is dumb.

Regarding the Tikka single stage:
    On my Rem700, I have a two stage BnA Tacsport Pro set at 8oz/8oz, and the factory single stage Tikka with a Lumley replacement spring compares pretty well…not as light, but man, it’s nice.

Reactions: LeftyJason
    On my Rem700, I have a two stage BnA Tacsport Pro set at 8oz/8oz, and the factory single stage Tikka with a Lumley replacement spring compares pretty well…not as light, but man, it’s nice.
    In fact, the lightened Tikka one stager is so good I’m strongly considering permanently replacing my SV’s two stager with it. Unless I can lighten up the two stager.

Anyway, I think it might be a toss up between the Solus and a Tikka…

…but to muddle the waters more, I’ve read on SH that damn Tikka’s feed 6br “out of factory mags”with no problem. Not sure if the poster in the link below meant the CTR or single stack Tikka mags. I’ll leave it to you guys to research more.

You guys know better than I re:Solus and 6br and either AW/AICS mags. I do know that new Gray Ops 12rd AW 6br mag is the shit for my AI.

In fact, the lightened Tikka one stager is so good I’m strongly considering permanently replacing my SV’s two stager with it. Unless I can lighten up the two stager.

Anyway, I think it might be a toss up between the Solus and a Tikka…

…but to muddle the waters more, I’ve read on SH that damn Tikka’s feed 6br “out of factory mags”with no problem. Not sure if the poster in the link below meant the CTR or single stack Tikka mags. I’ll leave it to you guys to research more.

You guys know better than I re:Solus and 6br and either AW/AICS mags. I do know that new Gray Ops 12rd AW 6br mag is the shit for my AI.
    the 2 stage with the spring swap is pretty great. Ive had it on 2 different tikkas

• Wow
    Reactions: carbonbased
    I have an SV and that factory two-stage is pretty nice. I haven’t opened it up to see if one can replace a spring (or two) to lighten the pull.

So, depending on your trigger pull prefs, the SV’s two stager might make @6brshooter ’s list. I think it certainly would if one could lighten it up a little.

Pity one cannot buy the trigger separately. Beretta is dumb.

It might, I honestly can't say I've tried one. I tried a spring in 1 Tikka and if you got that trigger below 1.25-1.5lb, it got inconsistent. 1 time it would be 1.25, the next 1lb, so and so. The second Tikka I just put a trg22 trigger in it and it was the tits($$$).

It might, I honestly can't say I've tried one. I tried a spring in 1 Tikka and if you got that trigger below 1.25-1.5lb, it got inconsistent. 1 time it would be 1.25, the next 1lb, so and so. The second Tikka I just put a trg22 trigger in it and it was the tits($$$).
    The revised “gen2” Midas just dropped. Not sure what they either fixed or improved. Waiting to hear reports before I (probably) buy it it.

Gonna try the spring trick in the Tikka two stage first!

Last edited:
    Maybe because the people using the Tikka are keeping the trigger weights high for hunting and the people using 700 triggers are turning them down farther than they should for targets. Plenty of good 700 triggers out there that won't fail. Also an ND is not a trigger issue. It's a shooter issue.

Yep! Not to mention that out in the wild, there's probably 1 Tikka trigger to every 100,000 700 style triggers... I wonder why you hear more about people having issues with 700 triggers, it's literally the most prolific and copied trigger out there... Some people refuse to accept averages to push their opinion. 😂

Not to mention, the Solus has a hanger system that uses a single T15 torx screw, 2 small proprietary sized trigger pins, and a hanger. It takes a whole 30 seconds to swap the trigger on a Solus, once you have it out of the stock or chassis. Removing it from the stock/chassis, you can add +/- 30 more seconds. LOL

Not to mention, the Solus has a hanger system that uses a single T15 torx screw, 2 small proprietary sized trigger pins, and a hanger. It takes a whole 30 seconds to swap the trigger on a Solus, once you have it out of the stock or chassis. Removing it from the stock/chassis, you can add +/- 30 more seconds. LOL
    That’s pretty cool!

How does the action cycle compared to a lone peak?
    Can't compare to a LP, but its lighter than my AIs, nucleus, and badgers. It would be comparable to the origins I had and heavier than the impacts. Keep in mind the price point of solus, it's half or less the cost of actions that people want to compare it to. There's a guy here in the classified section that sells action, barrel nut and wrench for 675. Pva"s barreled action deal is flat out amazing and gets the action down to 650 range. Here's my pva 22 creed solus.
    20240621_190425.jpg
    area 419 bolt handle and knob
    20240621_190433.jpg

Currently with a razor lht 4.5-22
    20240629_100656.jpg