Gunsmithing Tikka project (pic heavy)

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
This is far from gunsmithing. this is more of just me being bored and wanting a better stock for my T3 and not having the money to actually buy one

This started with me just wanting a raised comb after adding a 20 moa base and throwing on a Zeiss conquest.

it was a longer process then i imagined. layers included original stocks inlay to make barrel and action inlay easy on my part. I first added a plank of aspen would. Fairly Light while still quite strong. to the forearm. Then started the long process of fiberglass. then sanding then fiberglass... and so on and so on. Then i did a layer of bondo so i could get a really smooth outer surface and be able to sand easily into the exact shape i wanted. the whole stock was covered to add rigidity. The main things i wanted out of this project was good texture which was achieved with bed liner, a swollen pawn. raised cheek comb, and a wider flat forearm where i could have 2 sling swivels for a sling and for a bipod. The side has a weaver rail so i can put my Surefire weapon mount system if i ever want to use it for night hogs. Decided while i was at it i might as well do a krylon job on it

bolt knob, scope cover, bottom plastic, random accessories to paint
[img:left]
yjkwh.jpg
[/img]

first up was adding that aspen wood
2ef2f6w.jpg
[/img]

then fiberglass then sanding, then fiberglass, then sanding.... etc
245j8s7.jpg

a smooth coat of bondO
2sanx4p.jpg
[/img]

and between all of the sanding it was time for paint
primer first
rlhxjo.jpg
[/img]

added a nutmeg base coat over some orange peel like texturing and then a little bit of dark earth, and a mist of OD green

then painted the barreled action
2rqlf5w.jpg
[/img]

Final product reassembled. Had to dovetail the raised comb for the bolt to have full range of motion.
35ce6iq.jpg
[/img]

its nothing fancy but its more stout and doesn't shift as bad when loading the bipod. Its also full freefloated now (pretty much already was) and bedded. put a Timney featherweight in as well set to albs

Complete for now next step is to rebarrell but I don't see a reason to now I'm getting half moa with handrolls and have broung it out to 785 on steel an balloons.
Right now all funding is going to go towards some hog dogs