• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06? Need quick opinions

blacktaco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
PacifcNW
Hi All,
I found a Stainless Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 on sale new for $550.00 out the door. I really wanted one in .308 - but they are $100 more.
This would be for hunting deer. I already have a Howa (weatherby) 30-06 that does decent with handloads (3/4 moa sometimes, but mostly 1 moa accuracy...with my handloads).
I wanted better accuracy - not sure if it is in my best interest to move to the Tikka? Will I end up with the same results as my Howa?

Re: Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06? Need quick opinions

They are very nice little hunting rifles. I have one in 6.5x55 that is very accurate. For me personally, the 30-06 is a bit overkill for deer, but thats very debatable.

Yea - I've shot deer and elk with my 30-06 - it is definitely overkill for deer.
I mainly wanted .308 since I have a Rem 700 LTR - and I can use the same re-loading components.....but I also have the same components for the 30-06....After looking around - $550 for a new stainless looks to be a good deal. And I hate passing up a good deal.
smile.gif

I'm stumped.

Howas are great shooters so my advice is that if there is a considerable weight difference go for it, otherwise, save up for what you really want without having to settle.

Outside of heavy bullets and shorter actions, I see no real difference between the 308 and 30-06. Both will kill any deer in North America, the 06 may be more appropriate for Moose or Caribou, but both can take them cleanly.

What I'm mainly concerned with is accuracy. I already have a Howa 30-06, so if the Tikka T3 Lite is right next to it accuracy wise - I'd have no need for it.
If the Tikka shoots like some say though (holes into holes).....then I'll hop on it.
smile.gif

Would I be better off going with a Rem 700 SPS tac? It's in the same price range - (shorter - which I prefer)?

I have a tikka in 30-06 its one of the most if not the most accurate rifles I own. with a random load it might beat out my customs if they were also forced to shoot a random load. I also think in a tikka the 30-06 is the way to go because they only come in long action, might as well use it and go 06 over 308. here is a pic of some random loads I put together they are ones I thought looked good out of the loading manual. 3 different bullets 4 different powders AGG of all groups, mid .5's thats gettin it done in the accuracy department by anyone standard.

sellstuff026.jpg

Damnit! LOL....I had to work late tonight and told the shop to take it off of hold for me.
I think I'm going to head back tomorrow and grab it. One of my buddies in the industry (who runs the Rem 700's) said he'd recommend the Tikka T3 as well.

One of the main things I didn't care for out of the box was the plastic factory stock.
After searching tonight - I found a Bell and Carlson stock for $230ish I love.....and as you stated - which I didn't know, the .308 is LA as well.

Think I'm going to give them a shot.

It is a good rifle ... the only issue is that it is so light that when you do use it it will kick like an angry mule. Other than that your good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a good rifle ... the only issue is that it is so light that when you do use it it will kick like an angry mule. Other than that your good to go. </div></div>

Yea - at 6.18 lbs.....it's nearly 2 lbs lighter than my Howa....I kind of figured it would.
smile.gif

(another con for .06 - which made me lean more towards the .308)

I've got one in 30-06. Very satisfied with the performance of the rifle. It is just my hunting rifle, and buying off the shelf ammo for it. Federal ammo loaded with 180 Accubonds. Rifle shoots under a inch, more around the 0.75" area.... but off a bench it is brutal. The butt pad doesnt aid recoil at all... the rifle is very light, so it kicks hard! Mine has the VX-R 3-9 patrol, great combo!

Cheers

Buy it,sell the Howa,build a custom 6.5 out of one of the best actions out there "for the money".

With any stock gun you are taking a chance that the rifle will exhibit good accuracy. 1 moa is normal.

Put a custom barrel, a good stock, good smithing and 1/2" is expected .3" not uncommon with match ammo or good handloads.

I think adding that B&C stock will add some weight and help tame recoil. My Medalists has a nice thick recoil pad that works great. You're using it for a hunting rig anyway so probably wont put that many rounds down range at any one sitting.

okie

I have 3 Tikkas and can't say anything bad about them they are one of the best out of the box shooters,and there is a growing list of after market suppliers for them now as well.

I have a T-3 light in .243. I think it is the BEST coyote/Deer rifle I have ever had. I feel that an 06 is to small for elk and to big for deer and coyote. If you have to have a .308 buy a 300WM.

#1 - Thank you all for your opinions/help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Survival7201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a T-3 light in .243. I think it is the BEST coyote/Deer rifle I have ever had. I feel that an 06 is to small for elk and to big for deer and coyote. If you have to have a .308 buy a 300WM. </div></div>
Yea - it's an opinion thing. I harvested a 800#+ Roosevelt Elk last year with a 180gr core-lockt through a 30-06. It didn't make it 20 yards before it fell. I strongly believe in shot-placement and know my limitations shooting wise. I can comfortably hunt Elk with an .06 and won't take an unethical shot.

So - I picked up the Tikka today. Can't wait to get her out. I'm not impressed with the plastic bottom or the plastic stock - thinking I might order up the Bell&Carlson. I love the action - and I'm pretty impressed with the stock trigger!

I need a trigger pull gauge...any thoughts on how far I adjusted out the trigger adj screw? Feels about 2 lbs....after another 1/4 rotation it feels like it drops down to 1.5 lb or so? Seemed pretty light - since it's a hunting stick - I backed it out 3/4 turn or so.
DSC_1304.jpg

DSC_1302.jpg

Any input on the EGW HD Base?
I see EGW makes a $35ish base, and then a $65ish base.
Difference looks like 6061 T6511 Aluminum ($35) and 7075 Aluminum ($65).
A quick search shows 6061 being a cheaper material that bends easier - but doesn't brake.
7075 shows stronger - doesn't bend, more likely to break.

So I'm guessing the $65 EGW it is?

Apparently I have too many black guns....I've never painted a stock before - but decided to give it a shot since I'll probably crap this stock shortly.....
krylon fusion OD'd.
smile.gif

DSC_1301.jpg

I find the T3 plastic stock fairly well made for a tupperware but all the same it is an awkward sliperry thing.
For target shooters we sometimes add weight to our carbon stocks in the comb area to reduce felt recoil without increasing muzzle flip. It does make a difference where weight is positioned in a rifle. I don't think you'll make a mistake with the T3, great aftermarket bits available for the T3 in the meantime.
edi

don't worry the 30-06 is plenty for elk, lately alot of guys are using 6.5's with great success on elk. all the tikkas I have owned if you back the black trigger adjustment screw out against the screw that holds the trigger on you will end up around 2#'s maybe a little less maybe a little more. I would say between 28-34 ounces, which personally is where I want it, so I just back the screw out all the way.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock tikka rings unlike alot of guys. but I have been looking at the EGW weaver style bases, specifically the heavy duty EGW. this will allow me to switch to a load development scope easily, which is very nice as I have learned with another rifle. I think the tikka stock is fairly sturdy but like others have said it is slippery and moves in my front rest, so its difficult for me to really wring out the accuracy. one of these days I wanna put a load development scope on my 30-06 and really see what it will do. just with my little 3x9 buckmaster its shot a couple groups in the 2's. I would be very interested to see how your '06 would shoot some federal gold medal match.

i am on the same page as everybody here-very good advice and insights. i too have a t3 hunter in 6.5 and it is the most accurate off the shelf hunting rifle i have ever owned. easily sub 1 moa. i use fiocchi extrema 140gr horn sst. if you are ok with the recoil in a light rifle 06 is liely the way to go. good for everythiing up to at least the large brown bears. i am sure a bunch of grizzlies have gone down with it. you get a full length round in the t3 without dealing with the ecomozing things done in a t3 for shorter rounds (not that they hurt performance). was it me,i'd sell the howa,buy the tikka. you would have some $ for upgrades,if you felt the need. guess my huge + tikka prejudice is obvious.

Do you want mild...or wild? I really like Tikka's. A lot of rifle for the money IMHO.
We have been building some long range hunting packages based on the Tikka T3 action and B&C stocks. As well as some long range match rifles. Here are some of my threads about the rifles with pics,etc. As well as some videos.

Take care,Stan

6.5x47 1000 yard comp rifle:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...747#Post2852747

Longs range hunting Tikka action builds:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...440#Post2846440

videos:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rSwox2J7Olw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rSwox2J7Olw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tgm8YRUJx00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacktaco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently I have too many black guns....I've never painted a stock before - but decided to give it a shot since I'll probably crap this stock shortly.....
krylon fusion OD'd.
smile.gif

DSC_1301.jpg
</div></div>

Your pink purse looks great with the OD stock.

I like the plastic stock on the T3 Lite but will replace it or buy a Sporter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: landtoy80</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacktaco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently I have too many black guns....I've never painted a stock before - but decided to give it a shot since I'll probably crap this stock shortly.....
krylon fusion OD'd.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Your pink purse looks great with the OD stock.

I like the plastic stock on the T3 Lite but will replace it or buy a Sporter. </div></div>

LOL....yea - daughters "I Kindle"...lol....

Here is how she turned out in OD....I decided to slap a temporary Trijicon 3-9x40 in it just in case the wife decides to go shopping this weekend and I get to split to the range....(Trij is the post reticle - bac - can't exactly get the best groups - but I'll try)
DSC_1303.jpg

DSC_1304-1.jpg

BgBmBoo - those are some nice rifles. Thanks for the links/info!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock tikka rings unlike alot of guys. but I have been looking at the EGW weaver style bases, specifically the heavy duty EGW. this will allow me to switch to a load development scope easily, which is very nice as I have learned with another rifle. </div></div>

So I'm ordering the HD EGW base tonight
smile.gif

These are just hand-tightened, no more than any other rings I've tighten down....
DSC_1306.jpg

DSC_1305.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a tikka in 30-06 its one of the most if not the most accurate rifles I own. with a random load it might beat out my customs if they were also forced to shoot a random load. I also think in a tikka the 30-06 is the way to go because they only come in long action, might as well use it and go 06 over 308. here is a pic of some random loads I put together they are ones I thought looked good out of the loading manual. 3 different bullets 4 different powders AGG of all groups, mid .5's thats gettin it done in the accuracy department by anyone standard.
</div></div>

Hey cummins -
Do you have any experience on loading the 30-06 with heavier grain bullets? I tried some 168's that did well (less than 1") but my 180grains were all over 1". I've read where for some reason this 1:11 twist barrel should like the heavier 180+gr stuff - but for some reason it is more acurate with the lighter 168gr minus - bullets.
If you have any more experience - I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

ETA - and also, I LOVE this rifle. This trigger is amazing - can't beleive it is factory!! It is waaay too light for a hunting stick with the screw backed out all the way. It's great for load developement though. It's super-smooth, and not as bad as I thought it would be on recoil.

I just finished a Tikka T-3 in 30-06 for a friend, I did lots of load work with the 168gr Berger VLD and it was averageing .5 moa I had the Vortex scope knob calibrated by Kenton ind and it turned out great!

these are very good guns for the small investment.

Thank you Tom. What recipe did you end up with? I have H4350, Varget, IMR4350, IMR4895, and RL15 on hand...trying to decide what to run first is a little overwhelming.
The load I found this weekend was 48.5gr Varget + 168gr Amax seated to 3.270 in a winchester case and a CCI BR2.
I tried H4350 and Varget over 175gr Sierra, 180gr Hornady SST, and 168 Sierra with pretty bad results. I wish I was able to build loads and shoot off my back porch...LOL...

The Tikka factory stock feels a little flimsy to me, but does not seem to have adversely affected the accuracy of my rifle. On the flip side, the stock is pretty light, which is welcome on a hunting rifle that you may be carrying for extended periods of time.

If you really want the .308, I would spend the extra money for it. If don't already have reloading dies for the .30-06 that will take up half of the $100 difference for the .308.

black taco, you know I never did run bullets over 168 in the gun, I didn't buy the gun to be a long range shooter with that said I am not a believer in heavy bullets in that case I like to keep the speed of the lighter bullets for flatter shooting. the current setup the gun is sighted for is a 130 grain TTSX, these are some of the least accurate bullets shooting about .75 moa.

although sometime in the near future I have been thinking about putting on a varmint scope and playing some long range with the gun.

Blacktaco,

I don't have a copy of the data, I sent it with the gun. I do remember it was Winchester 760 powder but not sure about the weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Tikka factory stock feels a little flimsy to me, but does not seem to have adversely affected the accuracy of my rifle. On the flip side, the stock is pretty light, which is welcome on a hunting rifle that you may be carrying for extended periods of time.

If you really want the .308, I would spend the extra money for it. If don't already have reloading dies for the .30-06 that will take up half of the $100 difference for the .308. </div></div>

Thank you RMW - I already purchased the 30-06 - pics of it are a few posts up. I already had the dies/loading stuff for the 30-06 (and .308). The 30-06 isn't as bad as I thought it would be - it's about 2 lbs lighter than my other 30-06 set-up, but it doesn't kick/respond as bad as I thought. Very happy with the purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">black taco, you know I never did run bullets over 168 in the gun, I didn't buy the gun to be a long range shooter with that said I am not a believer in heavy bullets in that case I like to keep the speed of the lighter bullets for flatter shooting. the current setup the gun is sighted for is a 130 grain TTSX, these are some of the least accurate bullets shooting about .75 moa.

although sometime in the near future I have been thinking about putting on a varmint scope and playing some long range with the gun. </div></div>
Thanks cummins - yea, I'd load the heavier ones more for knock-down power (Elk). Thanks for the info though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blacktaco,

I don't have a copy of the data, I sent it with the gun. I do remember it was Winchester 760 powder but not sure about the weight. </div></div>
Thanks anyway Tom! Appreciate you checking.