• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

tikka t3x accuracy

davsco

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
bottom line, are these all easily sub-moa accurate with factory ammo? any folks having accuracy issues with factory ammo? have any had to go back to tikka's shop (for accuracy or reliability)?

lefty here, looking at a few special order choices, so 6+months wait and 2-3x tikka pricing. specifically looking for 300 winmag or 300wsm for elk and the like. if i can save some coin and some time, i'm up for that, just don't want to be playing russian roulette hoping to get an accurate one. thanks!

I’ve only read one case online where someone sent it back to Tikka(Barreta I believe took care of it conus), and they sent it back to him with the target showing 3 shot sub MOA.

I’m sure there may be others with experiences not up to par, but I haven’t read about them.

"just don't want to be playing russian roulette hoping to get an accurate one."

^^^^ If you buy factory regardless of reputation, you are to a degree. If you want zero risk, you already know what to do, and how much it will cost. Tikka might be very low risk given the other choices. I am a lefty as well and am taking the chance with Tikka and ordered something I hope to see before June. Given all the research I have done, it seems like a safe bet

My new t3x lite in .308 is sub MOA. If I put my gen 2 razor on it, then I know I could group tighter. The PST 4-16 is not the best thing around, but will do just fine for hunting.

I bought my first tikka 6 months ago (CTR 6.5creed) the first 5 shots out the gun with hornady match was under a half moa at 100 yds, after some reloading and finding what it likes it’s now a 1/4 min rifle, only thing I’ve changed is the trigger spring I’m actually saving to buy a few more tikkas

Reactions: JeffLebowski
My T3x lite in 7 mag was meh in terms of accuracy. 3 shot groups were 1-1.5 inches with handloads. 5 shot groups opened up considerably.

I would not recommend the 300 WM if you plan to keep the factory stock. You will be limited by magazine length. Even with 7mmRM, I could not load 162 eldx to the lands due to mag restrictions.

I have had a T3 lite for many years. Shooting Federal GMM 168 gr it has always been consistently sub MOA. But that lite barrel sure heats up quick.

To demonstrate my confidence in the Tikkas, I just ordered a T3X CTR -- should have it soon.

As far as reasonably priced factory rifles are concerned (this would of course exclude AI and DTA, etc), you will be hard pressed to beat a Tikka.

Good luck

My T3x lite in 7 mag was meh in terms of accuracy. 3 shot groups were 1-1.5 inches with handloads. 5 shot groups opened up considerably.

I would not recommend the 300 WM if you plan to keep the factory stock. You will be limited by magazine length. Even with 7mmRM, I could not load 162 eldx to the lands due to mag restrictions.

If you use the mountain tactical bottom metal you can use AICS magazines which have an internal capacity of 3.600+. I have a T3 Hunter in 7 Mag and I will likely do this so I can reach the lands.

I've never had a custom but I've shot/hunted with Kimber's, Winchester's, Ruger's, Remington's.

Last Friday I picked up a T3X Lite Stainless in 6.5 CM. Went home loaded up a 10 shot ladder and 40 others with 41.5 grains of IMR 4350.

We shot the ladder real quick more to look for pressure signs than accuracy but they all went in an inch at 100. Shot 3 quick of the 41.5 for zero and they went half inch.

I didn't have much time and I wanted to dope it to 1000 so I can shoot a match this Saturday. I'll end up working up something a little hotter later but I'm pretty confident that if I shoot like crap on Saturday it won't be the rifle.

It's instantly become my favorite ever rifle.

If I were you I'd spin the cylinder and pull the trigger, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I think Tikka QC is much higher than Savage/Remington. The chances of getting a sub MOA gun with match ammo is pretty high based on reputation.

I love my Tikka and would buy another one if it fits my needs. Just ordered a $95 bolt knob for a sub $700 gun if that tells you how committed I am to keeping this rifle. It will be a multi-barrel gun for sure.

My tikka T3X 223 varmint is an extremely repeatable .4"-.5" gun with the 77 gr FGMM. It shoots in the .2".3" with 75gr hand loads, but I would be more than happy with the accuracy of the factory FGMM.

Note: this was with a completely factory rifle with a 20 moa mountain tactical base and a 5-25 pst gen II.

I have a T3 lite that shoots .5 moa at 100 yards with factory and handloaded 180 grain rounds. I've got some 220 grain to run through it as well, but haven't shot them yet.

I have had 5 of them in various calibres up to 300 WM.

All of them have been accurate with factory loads. Some of them were tack drivers and all of them loved being loaded for.

I won't buy a Rem ever again as long as Tikka keep their quality up.

One group from T3X during a 10rd velocity string test. Shoots the actual load even better.

1uG7wtil.jpg

Been very happy with my T3x CTR in 6.5. Did the yo Dave trigger spring as mentioned above. First time out 1/2 MOA or better with Hornady factory ammo not even match grade. Will be doing some more testing soon with match ammo. Still fine tuning zero. Just did a group to see how well it would do. Thinking about a lite or varmint in .223 down the road.

8498017A-0AEF-4394-80C1-0AEAF8DEEF72.jpeg

Had a T3 Lite 308 a while back, shot 3/4 inch groups with 168 FGMM and 168 AMAX loads. Warmed up and opens up after 4th or 5th shots. My T3X CTR 6.5cm shoots 140 grain hornady amax around that, sometimes around 1/2 inch if I do my part. 143 ELD is consistently at 1/2 if I do my part.

Found this on the Tikka website:

SINGLE SET TRIGGER (IF EqUIPPED)For use as a normal single stage trigger, squeeze rearwards in the normal fashion. The trigger mechanism can also be “SET” by pushing the trigger forward until it stops ( g. 24). The ri e can now be red with only a light touch. When in “SET” position, the trigger weight is 2 - 2.5 N (7 - 9 oz.) and cannot be adjusted.
If the ri e has been cocked and the SAFETY is ON, the trigger CANNOT be put into the “SET” position.To return trigger to the “UNSET” position, the safest method is to put “SAFETY ON” or open the bolt.i NOTICE
When the safety is in the “ON” position it locks the trigger mechanism and the bolt. The ri e can be cocked only when the safety is in the “OFF” position.! CAUTION
Do not adjust the gap between the trigger and the plunger of the trigger weight spring! If you notice any changes in operation of the trigger, please turn to an authorized gunsmith.
Warning
When the trigger is in the “SET” position, the rifle must be handled with extreme care, as any shock or vibration may discharge the rifle.

I've had a bunch of tikka's and they have all shot blindingly well with reloads, and with certain factory ammo easily sub moa. This from a factory .308 barrel @ 500m - 155smk reloads - 4 rounds in the top group, 5 in the bottom

q2j8o6c.jpg

Reactions: Simia Dei
I bought my first tikka 6 months ago (CTR 6.5creed) the first 5 shots out the gun with hornady match was under a half moa at 100 yds, after some reloading and finding what it likes it’s now a 1/4 min rifle, only thing I’ve changed is the trigger spring I’m actually saving to buy a few more tikkas
What trigger spring did you use? I am getting a CTR and going to dop it into the Bravo Chassis I just bought for it.

bottom line, are these all easily sub-moa accurate with factory ammo? any folks having accuracy issues with factory ammo? have any had to go back to tikka's shop (for accuracy or reliability)?

lefty here, looking at a few special order choices, so 6+months wait and 2-3x tikka pricing. specifically looking for 300 winmag or 300wsm for elk and the like. if i can save some coin and some time, i'm up for that, just don't want to be playing russian roulette hoping to get an accurate one. thanks!
I Had a T3 lite in 300wsm. Sub moa at 100yds, but 208 Amax's were tumbling and all over the place at 700. Never worked out why, just rebarreled it.
Otherwise great rifles.

I just downloaded a copy of Ballistic AE and want to play around with it but I've not been able to set up my chrono yet.

what velocity is anyone getting from Hornady 140gr ELD from the 24" CTR/TAC A1 barrel?

120gr?..

147?..

I have a t3 lite in 300 WM. Put a limb saver on the back of it. With 180gr Rem core-lokt ammo it was grouping just over an inch off sandbags at 100 yards. I picked up some of the sako 180 go hammerheads on sale and am averaging 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. The action is as smooth as my TRG.

My nephew has a left hand t3 in 308. It shoots sub 1" at 100 yards with factory ammo. For the money they cannot be beat. The action on his is as smooth as the action on the t3 I have. I like them so much that I may pick one up in 223.

Both my friend and I got Tikkas that wouldn’t shoot real well. Mine (223 LH 1:8”) was around 10 years ago his around 5. Mine was actually a pretty poor shooter even with match ammo. Never handloaded for it, sent it down the road. His (a 7mm) will shoot ~1” or a bit under with handloads, but factory rounds were well over that.

what velocity is anyone getting from Hornady 140gr ELD from the 24" CTR/TAC A1 barrel?

Depends on the lot.

Just recently ran a test on 4 different lots using magneto speed. 4 round groups as I just wanted to see how close they were. The two higher average velocity lots shot tighter groups.

1 - 2642 FPS (ES 25)
2 - 2693 FPS (ES 25)
3 - 2628 FPS (ES 35)
4 - 2661 FPS (ES 16)

Reactions: ra2bach
Depends on the lot.

Just recently ran a test on 4 different lots using magneto speed. 4 round groups as I just wanted to see how close they were. The two higher average velocity lots shot tighter groups.

1 - 2642 FPS (ES 25)
2 - 2693 FPS (ES 25)
3 - 2628 FPS (ES 35)
4 - 2661 FPS (ES 16)

Damn. as accurate as this ammo is it sure doesn't seem consistent

thanks....

With that said it has still shown to be pretty good ammo. I’ve used it in two local matches and it has done pretty well to distances of 900 yards.

Think the key is to just try and get all the same lot to help with not having to keep track.

yes, so I've been told (about the same lot, that is). I do reload but if this is accurate enough to 1000yds it will save me a lot of time...

My new t3x lite in .308 is sub MOA. If I put my gen 2 razor on it, then I know I could group tighter. The PST 4-16 is not the best thing around, but will do just fine for hunting.
I know this is old, but hoping you reply, what grain ammo are you using. I used to shoot 175gr with a TC compass and had great results up to 300yd. But I'm having trouble getting good groups at 100 with my t3x SL 308.