• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tikka TAC A1 chassis vs. KRG Whiskey 3

Rodney65

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2018
I apologize in advance as this has probably been debated to death but I am getting another Tikka for a predator hunting/NRL Hunter/PRS rifle to act as a backup to my CTR in a KRG Bravo.

I am between a TAC A1, mostly because there is a used one for sale at a good price, and a getting a CTR and putting it in a KRG Whiskey 3 folder which would cost a bit more. I really like folding stocks. It will get carried slung, on the seat of a truck, on a snowmobile, and used on short stalks.

The TAC A1 would be cheaper but I would need some mags for it while I already have a bunch of AICS mags. For the Whiskey 3 I would need an ARCA rail and spigot as well.

Is there any major advantage or disadvantage to either setup or reason you would choose one over the other? Maybe durability or something I am overlooking. I have shot both setups but not in a while.

All personal preference. I bought a Tac A1 because I thought it would be a rifle I could happily shoot for a long time without wanting to change anything on. After adding an arca rail, adding a bag rider, and changing the grip a couple times I ended up just getting rid of the chassis and swapping to a Bravo. For me the Tac A1 chassis very much feels like an AR15. If you like that type of ergonomics, you'll be happy with it. I couldn't get happy with it, so I ditched it. It's a very solid chassis, and the rifle shot lights-out in it. I just couldn't warm up to it.

I also have a Whiskey 3 that I absolutely love. I went with a Bravo on this rifle for the weight savings though. If I remember right, the W3 is about a pound heavier.

Reactions: Rodney65
All personal preference. I bought a Tac A1 because I thought it would be a rifle I could happily shoot for a long time without wanting to change anything on. After adding an arca rail, adding a bag rider, and changing the grip a couple times I ended up just getting rid of the chassis and swapping to a Bravo. For me the Tac A1 chassis very much feels like an AR15. If you like that type of ergonomics, you'll be happy with it. I couldn't get happy with it, so I ditched it. It's a very solid chassis, and the rifle shot lights-out in it. I just couldn't warm up to it.

I also have a Whiskey 3 that I absolutely love. I went with a Bravo on this rifle for the weight savings though. If I remember right, the W3 is about a pound heavier.
Thanks very much for the reply!

Can a regular CTR/T3X action go right into a TAC A1 chassis? Just wondering if bought one and didn't like it if I could sell the chassis or if they only fit the A1 model.

Thanks very much for the reply!

Can a regular CTR/T3X action go right into a TAC A1 chassis? Just wondering if bought one and didn't like it if I could sell the chassis or if they only fit the A1 model.
As long as you also have the Tac A1 scope base, yes. The forend for the Tac A1 chassis has screws that go into the bottom portion of the chassis as well as 1 that goes into front of the scope base.

As long as you also have the Tac A1 scope base, yes. The forend for the Tac A1 chassis has screws that go into the bottom portion of the chassis as well as 1 that goes into front of the scope base.
Okay good to know thanks. I'm tempted to get one but hearing you went back to a Bravo, the stock I have now, is giving me second thoughts.