tikka vs savage vs howa

manscout

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
looking to get a 300 win mag for distances from 700-1600 but with the occasional elr type of thing with the fancy bullets 2000+. already having a custom gun my goal for this is to see for how cheaply i can accomplish the goals stated. i have a few savages and am a fan of their value. i like tikka actions but their factory barrels are 1:11 and that seems pretty poor for this setting. the howa seems like it may work. especially a barreled action with a threaded barrel. so... what are yall's thoughts? i know nothing i listed is ideal. i plan on taking whatever i go with and sometime in the future throwing on the correct barrel for the goal. but for now, budget is <$1000

Tikka 300 wsm. You can convert to a long action by changing the bolt stop out then run berger 210 BTLR the 1-11 is sufficient as long as you can push 2700 for the mag buy a 5 round 300 win mag- magazine and use parts with you other one to make your new mag. Oh ya your gonna need a Dremel

Tikka 300 wsm. You can convert to a long action by changing the bolt stop out then run berger 210 BTLR the 1-11 is sufficient as long as you can push 2700 for the mag buy a 5 round 300 win mag- magazine and use parts with you other one to make your new mag. Oh ya your gonna need a Dremel

so what's the deal with tikka's funky long action mag oal?

so what's the deal with tikka's funky long action mag oal?

If I remember right the long action mag is 3.34 with a width of .55 you need .555 for the wsm so that's were the Dremel comes. Honestly I think it was just designed for factory ammo lengths hence the short oal. You can fit 4 rounds of wsm in the 5 round 300 win mag magazine after hogging it out with sand paper and Dremel. I ve just started working up a load with h4350 if I remember right i started with 60 grains and it was the high end of 2600 fps this is with 20 though off the lands so I can prob go up another few grains. If I cannot achieve the velocity I want I was considering converting the barrel to a 30 nosler since they are the same same parent case. 404 Jeffries I think.