Timney 2 stage trigger adjustment for RPR

Jmkjr87

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    I have a 2 stage timney for my ruger precision rifle that came on the gun when I bought it. For the life of my I can't find any good Info on adjusting the 1st or 2nd stage and I'm not sending it back to timney and ducking around with that mainly because I need it. Has anybody adjusted there 2 stage trigger and could give a detailed explanation of how to do it, or link a video on how to do it.

I have a 2 stage timney for my ruger precision rifle that came on the gun when I bought it. For the life of my I can't find any good Info on adjusting the 1st or 2nd stage and I'm not sending it back to timney and ducking around with that mainly because I need it. Has anybody adjusted there 2 stage trigger and could give a detailed explanation of how to do it, or link a video on how to do it.
    You can check out this video and see if it helps.

Reactions: Alienta
    I realize this is a recent thread and maybe you have 't had much time using the Timney but hoping to get some impression of it and some reliability feedback for those who have used this particular trigger for a bit.
    TriggerTech has a new trigger in R&D as we speak but won't be out until probably late Summer of Fall and I really want to shed that damn center lever on the factory trigger ASAP.

I realize this is a recent thread and maybe you have 't had much time using the Timney but hoping to get some impression of it and some reliability feedback for those who have used this particular trigger for a bit.
    TriggerTech has a new trigger in R&D as we speak but won't be out until probably late Summer of Fall and I really want to shed that damn center lever on the factory trigger ASAP.
    So I figured out how to adjust it. I got the 1st stage down to 8oz but when I brought the 2nd stage down to 8 Oz about 1 in 50 rounds the trigger would let the cooking piece slip by and the pin would just ride forward. I would have to lift the bolt to recock. So I have upped it to 12 Oz and it hasn't done it since. Other than it having some over travel when you fire it I like the trigger. It breaks like glass. So if u want a 8oz 2nd stage order it that way from timney so u won't have any issues. My rifle came with the trigger and the guy purchased it with a 20 Oz 2nd stage

Reactions: shoot4fun
    I am quite familiar with shooting two-stage triggers on my multiple AI rifles so that part of this particular trigger isn't a deal breaker considering how badly I want shed of that center leaf.
    The vendors that currently have this one in stock have the 8 ounce 1st stage model. It appears you might still be pushing the limits of reliability as Timney recommends a lowest setting of 1 pound for stage two but that gives me a good idea of what it can do. It is quite possible that the second stage setting is causing the overtravel issue you are experiencing. That was an issue when I have taken other triggers down to their absolute lowest level of weight/functionality.
    BTW, is yours the curved or straight shoe version?

I am quite familiar with shooting two-stage triggers on my multiple AI rifles so that part of this particular trigger isn't a deal breaker considering how badly I want shed of that center leaf.
    The vendors that currently have this one in stock have the 8 ounce 1st stage model. It appears you might still be pushing the limits of reliability as Timney recommends a lowest setting of 1 pound for stage two but that gives me a good idea of what it can do. It is quite possible that the second stage setting is causing the overtravel issue you are experiencing. That was an issue when I have taken other triggers down to their absolute lowest level of weight/functionality.
    BTW, is yours the curved or straight shoe version?
    The over travel has remained the same no matter where it's adjusted. Right now I think it might be closer to 11 Oz and it's reliable. I liked 8oz better but 11 or 12 I'd just as good. I don't care about the over travel but I figured I would tell u about it in case that is something that bothers u. My trigger is the flat shoe. It was the first one I ever had and I will never buy a curved trigger shoe again, never again. When I marry up to the trigger it's a perfect 90 degrees, the trigger my hand placement are all 90 degree angles, it just works for me

Reactions: shoot4fun