• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tipton or Dewey Cleaing Rods

Re: Tipton or Dewey Cleaing Rods

I have dewey rods b/c that's what my local shop had years ago. They're still in great shape.

I think some folks mentioned the Tipton being a 'better' rod b/c it is carbon fiber. There were concerns that the plastic/rubber coating on the dewey could eventually break off and leave bits of crap in the barrel. I haven't had that experience but I'm only cleaning 3-4 rifles and I don't clean that often.

Tipton CF, not by preference, but shit, got a huge discount from Midway. I'm happy with it, very light, flexible but returns to straight every time, bearings are sweet. It's a good rod, don't think you can go wrong with either.

Reactions: Vamike9

Tipton; have several and they have been fantastic. Had a Dewey for .223, didn't like it as well. Felt a little flimsy; bent/bowed a lot more easily in that caliber.

I had Dewey and then was an idiot and left them at the range and lost them since. I ended up getting the Tiptons to replace them because of the price at Cabelas. I have no problems with them. My only complaint is the big handle (which isn't much smaller on the Dewey) that bumps up agains the buttstock when cleaning and pushes it into the crown at the other end. The Dewey did the same thing though.

Looking at the Boretec, they look a little smaller and may work better for my bolt gun.

Have a Dewey for over a decade now. Not sure how you tear one up, maybe by not using a bore guide. You have to be pretty anal to pick one coated rod over another, as long as they are name brand. I have heard the blue handled specials from Midway can jam.

I use Dewey rods with rubberized coating. I don't think the brand matters much except for having a nonabrasive coating. Also don't forget a good bore guide.

The jags and brushes should be interchangeable with standard threading. Not sure about the adaptors though.

I've used Dewey's for years and have never had a problem with them. When not in use & during transport they stay in the alum rod case from Sinclair

I have a few of both. If you are rough on rods then get the Tipton. You can't bend them. I had a .243 Dewey that due to my own mistake I bent. I replaced it with a Tipton and it's a good rod. Been using it for a few years now. Still have my .30 Dewey as well that I have had for must be over 10 years now. Still going strong.

I like the handle on the Tipton a little better though and also the threading so no adapter is needed but those are little things. You will be fine with either.

Get a Lucus bore guide as well.

I also have a few of both. I started out with Dewey rods and liked them a lot. I then ordered a few Tipton Rods to try out and I am equally as happy. I really have no complaints with either... Both work well and get the Job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have a few of both. I started out with Dewey rods and liked them a lot. I then ordered a few Tipton Rods to try out and I am equally as happy. I really have no complaints with either... Both work well and get the Job done. </div></div>

+1

I have managed to break two of the tipton blue handle rod several years ago (both the .223 size rods). Where the rod steps down to the threaded part that goes into the blue handle. I haven't bought anything from them since. Midway replaced the first one free, and it was broken a month later so I just moved on. Bought a Dewey and it hasn't broken, so I've never looked any further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won an Ivy rod in Smack the Smiley. If there is a nicer rod out there, I would be very surprised. </div></div>

+1

Overall better product but price can deter some people

I own six deweys and 1 tipton.

The tipton rod is hard as a rock. It will scratch a barrel if it contacts it and there is grit on the rod.

The dewey is softer.

Dewey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid Post</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long a rod do you normally use with a 26" barrel? What length do you need with a bore guide?

Which bore guides are the good ones?

Thanks!
Sid </div></div>

I have a tipton 44" carbon fiber rod - and i use it to clean my 26" with AICS stock - i find i have to remove the cheek rest in order to put it all the way through. On my 308 with 22" barrel i have to remove the cheek rest on my mcmillan a5 as well, but it almost goes through. I use a tipton rapid deluxe bore guide, however, i'm interested in that lucas bore guide too... looks nice.

so maybe go with the 50". Kinda long to clean a 16" 223 but if you don't mind and can work it what the hell huh?