• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

To bed or not to bed?

10ring1

The Zohan
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
I have a Vudoo Ridgeback that shoots very well. Looking to squeeze any more bit of accuracy out of it that I can. I am thinking of having it glass bedded or skim bedded. I figure it couldn't hurt if done by a competent gunsmith, right? Anyone have insight into any appreciable improvement with bedding vs leaving well enough alone? Thanks in advance

Pillaring and bedding are done to eliminate any play between the inletting and receiver.
The idea being small movements in the fit between the the receiver and inletting
can cause trajectory shifts due to a change in the alignment at the moment of squeeze.
Create an exact fit and you minimize the chance of an alignment shift from happening.
Wax the receiver, wax the inletting, add small epoxy contact points to fill those gaps.
If you don't like the results the epoxy shims can be peeled out.

ij6qKXvGZ3-o2vZM1BklvqqeCHQIx-eq8ofkMF-SfjhXgPkWurspkhxSvp35USSRvJgpqZcTpu2OOxTmxw=w240-h220

_4Mx_Tq0yKO3SjsT1XN0jgBtigpl5PsFUtP6dLQXE4nsz0Q985VmKSUG5QRfMWjE08G6fwiFsYE-k20xKA=w302-h220

In the stock you have I think the difference will be very small but I’m guessing you will still see some improvement. I put my sons 10/22 in a Boyd’s stock and it didn’t shoot very well. Then I bedded the action and first 4” of the barrel and it went from not great to absolutely amazing. I mean hard to believe amazing. Before that I would have said in a Grayboe stock bedding wouldn’t make a difference. Now I realize there is a world of difference between a Boyd’s and a Grayboe stock but after seeing the difference I got I’m a firm believer in bedding. I have a friend who is a gunsmith that builds precision rifles. He glass beds everything. Even chassis and is a firm believe that it does make a difference. So take that for what’s its worth. It currently can’t hurt.

Shooter X has a phenomenally shooting Vudoo that recommended skim bedding. Looking for a general consensus of other's experiences too

Hello sir,
I cannot attribute any single point of my setup to the accuracy levels I'm able to achieve with Vudoo.
On the other hand, I'm of the strong opinion that yes, it should be bedded.
Most of what you see concerning my levels of precision, a lot of shooting, years of practice. A lot of 22 guns. A lot of perfecting a technique. Then acquiring a Vudoo gun. Then learning that gun and acclimating myself to that gun and only that gun. Yeah I shoot other guns too, mostly airguns, but sometimes I just take the Vudoo out and set it on the bags , looking through the scope, steadying everything off and lightly pressing the trigger with the gun disengaged imagining where impact would be and seeing it happen in my mind......without ever firing a shot. I am 100% dedicated to the highest levels of inherent accuracy that a 22 rimfire can achieve in a real world situation where the First shot from a cold bore absolutely must count.
Keep in mind that I do not own a rest. All of my precision shooting is done off sand bags. In the field I use an atlas bipod which is a different thing altogether that requires its own set of rules. Or a tree stump, or fallen tree that I can set up on for the shot, or anything else that may be around me at the time a clean shot is needed. I'm not going to have the luxury of a 30 pound rest with bubble levels, and adjustment wheels and whatever other gadgets hanging all over it.

So yes, if it were me, I would indeed bed it. This will eliminate a variable. Inherent accuracy is all about eliminating variables.

Be well,
T.S.

9:00 am this morning. Straight out the gate from a cold bore. Murphy oil cup. Got it yesterday when I got me a banana slushy. I love those things. Oh and yes, this is 50 yards.
Murphy oil cup.jpg

Hello sir,
I cannot attribute any single point of my setup to the accuracy levels I'm able to achieve with Vudoo.
On the other hand, I'm of the strong opinion that yes, it should be bedded.
Most of what you see concerning my levels of precision, a lot of shooting, years of practice. A lot of 22 guns. A lot of perfecting a technique. Then acquiring a Vudoo gun. Then learning that gun and acclimating myself to that gun and only that gun. Yeah I shoot other guns too, mostly airguns, but sometimes I just take the Vudoo out and set it on the bags , looking through the scope, steadying everything off and lightly pressing the trigger with the gun disengaged imagining where impact would be and seeing it happen in my mind......without ever firing a shot. I am 100% dedicated to the highest levels of inherent accuracy that a 22 rimfire can achieve in a real world situation where the First shot from a cold bore absolutely must count.
Keep in mind that I do not own a rest. All of my precision shooting is done off sand bags. In the field I use an atlas bipod which is a different thing altogether that requires its own set of rules. Or a tree stump, or fallen tree that I can set up on for the shot, or anything else that may be around me at the time a clean shot is needed. I'm not going to have the luxury of a 30 pound rest with bubble levels, and adjustment wheels and whatever other gadgets hanging all over it.

So yes, if it were me, I would indeed bed it. This will eliminate a variable. Inherent accuracy is all about eliminating variables.

Be well,
T.S.

9:00 am this morning. Straight out the gate from a cold bore. Murphy oil cup. Got it yesterday when I got me a banana slushy. I love those things. Oh and yes, this is 50 yards.
View attachment 7157252

Thanks for the reply TS. and as always, amazing groups!!!

My Vudoo fits in the Grayboe pretty well and shoots very well. I would have said no to the bedding until a recent experiment....different gun but i think the point applies.

I have a 10/22 in a McRee chassis and a Kidd ULW barrel. Single hold fown although I increased the size of the hold down screw to a 1/4"-20. Shoots really well for a Ruger receiver but i was a little disappointed. Took it apart, bedded it properly and bedded about 2" of barrel. Wow....does it ever shoot now. Here's my take on bedding, it costs almost nothing and almost never makes your rifle shoot worse. I say go for it.....but i'd practice on some lesser firearms before cutting loose on the Vudoo-Norcal911

W hat are the pros and cons between pillar and glass bedding? Why would one be prefered over the other? Would there ever be a reason to do both?
I have a 457 Varmint on the way and trying to decide how to go with it.

I have an old Kimber 22 that shoots great. Made a deal with a man who refinishes stocks on Purdeys and such to refinish the stock. The stock wasn’t true, so we fixed that before giving it to him. We bedded it when we got it back. It shoots just as good, but no worse and looks great.

I had my Quad pillar-bedded. Does not shoot better nor worse. I mainly wanted to remove weather effects that play with laminate stocks from well below subzero to high temps, and varying humidity levels.

Also pillar-bedding seems to make the stock less sensitive to stock screw torques.

Pillaring and bedding are done to eliminate any play between the inletting and receiver.
The idea being small movements in the fit between the the receiver and inletting
can cause trajectory shifts due to a change in the alignment at the moment of squeeze.
Create an exact fit and you minimize the chance of an alignment shift from happening.
Wax the receiver, wax the inletting, add small epoxy contact points to fill those gaps.
If you don't like the results the epoxy shims can be peeled out.

ij6qKXvGZ3-o2vZM1BklvqqeCHQIx-eq8ofkMF-SfjhXgPkWurspkhxSvp35USSRvJgpqZcTpu2OOxTmxw=w240-h220

_4Mx_Tq0yKO3SjsT1XN0jgBtigpl5PsFUtP6dLQXE4nsz0Q985VmKSUG5QRfMWjE08G6fwiFsYE-k20xKA=w302-h220
Thank you for this. Maybe I'm thick but I'm still a bit confused. I have always wanted to know how bedding can change a shot. I am not doubting anybody who says bedding is better, but I want to understand why.

OK, so the scope is mounted to the receiver and not the barrel, so any slight difference in alignment between the barrel and receiver equals difference in scope and barrel alignment, so that will affect the shot. I get that.

I can understand that extreme air conditions would affect pressure of the stock on the barrel and receiver if they are in uneven contact with each other.. But why not have a free-floating setup where the stock and barrel don't touch? Why would that not eliminate the effect of extreme air conditions and/or squeezing on the barrel? By the time the barrel/stock can react to each other, hasn't the bullet already exited the muzzle?

Apologies in advance if my question is stupid, but this is a forum.

But why not have a free-floating setup where the stock and barrel don't touch?

Because free floated is not a rule, just another thing to try when attempting to improve results.
Some rifles do better with a free floated barrel, some don't. A long slender stock is subject to flexing.
Oversized inletting which removes a large amount of material can cause bending also.
I call it the springboard effect. Even the mild recoil loads of a rimfire is enough to cause the rifle to bounce or twist.
By bedding the barrel you've created a composite structure and stiffened the entire assembly.
This kills the springboard effect and produces better results downrange.
Also can improve results with pencil barrels by removing barrel whip from the equation.

Did that make sense?

Reactions: Near miss