• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

To lube or not to lube

NCHillbilly

Libertata Aut Morte
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2012
    The occupied states of America
    So, I've searched and have not found a definitive answer. I have a dead air sandman that I use on numerous weapons. I have qd brakes on said rifles.

After extended sessions on ANY of the rifles, the suppressor almost seems welded on. Question 1: what cleaning/maintenance do I need to do to the can? Question 2: Should I lube the ratcheting portion of the can, and if so, what product should I use?

Put just a small dab Never Seize on it. By end of the shootin session it will be all over you, but suppressor will screw off
    My issue is that because I use qd brake mounts, there are no visible threads. It has an internal ratchet that you twist to tighten the can to the brake. I could put some lube down into the ratcheting mechanism, but not sure what to use due to the high temps.

Yeah, I looked that up last night after I posted. Didn't say anything about lube, but I swear, I didn't think I was going to be able to remove that thing yesterday. I guess it must have just been heat expansion, but it was many hours after I finished shooting before it would come off. And just fyi, I was not doing mag dumps, but probably fired 75 rds over the course of 1.5 hours.

For me, when I rotate into position and tighten the ratchet, it's tight but not "wrenched" on tight via grip. Of course everyone's grip is different but a "normal" adult male strength. A sheen of a decent oil will help keep the carbon lock at bay to where it helps with unlocking. Shoulder and splines.

that was alwways a huge problem for my old AAC cans.

i stopped taking them off and on and turned 2 of them into direct thread mounts by putting set screws into the side where the flash hider teeth are. there’s still enough room to get a wrench on the flats. aac has shitty mounts

maybe try some copper anti-seize. works good on car parts.

IMG_0390.jpeg

Reactions: tucaz
    I have a sandman S. AR and bolt gun. Break it free after shooting, when it’s barely cool enough to touch. When I clean the rifle, it gets a couple drops of oil on the ratchet ring. That’s it.

I replace the ratchet ring every couple years.

Last edited:
    Reactions: NCHillbilly