Took the m70 out for one last time before its transformation.

djdilliodon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2013
West Babylon, NY
It was a nice day for shooting here with temps at 51 and occasional predictable light wind gusts. I had some winchester 22-250 45gr jhp varmint ammo I wanted to shoot up to get one last time with the m70 before its transformation and to get the once fired brass for reloading. A little history on this m70. This rifle was purchased new by my wife's grandfather in 1967-1968. It had a high power unertle mounted and was used to hunt chucks. He took it on one hunt put about 200-400 rounds down the pipe and it then became a safe queens for many years. One day a friend of his wanted it so he sold it to him. That friend never got around to shooting it and again it was a safe queens for many years again. 1.5-2 years ago that same friend was in need of money and sold this rifle back to my wife's grandfather. We cleaned it up and took it to the range only to discover that it shoots like shit! The rifle was holding 1"-2" at 100 yards for 3 shots with an average of 1.5". The trigger was gritty, heavy, and had a little bit of creep. He made me take it home with me to see if I can get this thing to shoot as he wanted to use it for a prarie dog hunt he had coming up. What I did was modded the trigger for a much lighter pull and get rid of the creep, glass bedded the action and first 3" of barrel channel, pillar bedded the stock, and refinished the stock. The results where now .5-.75" groups with the same ammo at 100 yards! To make a long story short he never went on that PD hunt and gave me the rifle for free as he saw I became fond of it.

Here are some pics. She shot stupid nice today with all groups at .5" or less! I'm gonna pull the barrel and take off the stock and sell them off. Can't wait to start building this baby!

This group pissed me off! 4 shots all in the sweet spot and I moved on the last one :(. It did to help as I had the jitters bad due to being 3 12oz redbulls deep lol.

What do you intend to build with it? Do you have any specs or plans you feel like sharing?

What I'm looking to do is make it into 2 guns in one. I want to be able to shoot small groups consistently with hand loads out to 200 yards for my target needs and pull a second duty for slaying coyotes, varmints, and possibly deer. I'm gonna have the action and bolt face squared and trued along with the lugs lapped. I'll also have the action cerakoted matte black. I'm gonna change the bolt Handel to something more my style and will add a tubb 2000 firing pin and spring for better lock time. The barrel will be a krieger stainless in 22-250 in the factory varmint contour. For the stock it will be a thumbhole but not sure if I'm gonna go laminate or walnut yet. The stock will be pillar and glass bedded. For optics I'm still in the air but I'm leaning towards a bushnell elite in 6-24 variable power. This part isn't set in stone so may change in time.

Sounds like a plan. Was actually curious if you intended on leaving it as a 22-250.
Both my M70's now reside in Manners T4a's. Very pleased with those stocks. I just acquired my first thumbhole stock and the jury is still out as to liking it or not. That may take a couple months to really form an honest opinion.

Good luck with this build. Sounds like it will be a winner!

Sounds like a plan. Was actually curious if you intended on leaving it as a 22-250.
Both my M70's now reside in Manners T4a's. Very pleased with those stocks. I just acquired my first thumbhole stock and the jury is still out as to liking it or not. That may take a couple months to really form an honest opinion.

Good luck with this build. Sounds like it will be a winner!

Def staying with 22-250 as I just love the round. I am absolutely cursed when it comes to stocks and every traditional style stock I've shot, it just doesn't feel comfortable to me. A thumbhole though I feel like it was made for me! Which thumbhole stock do you have on yours?

Def staying with 22-250 as I just love the round. I am absolutely cursed when it comes to stocks and every traditional style stock I've shot, it just doesn't feel comfortable to me. A thumbhole though I feel like it was made for me! Which thumbhole stock do you have on yours?

I picked up a Boyd's for a Marlin X7 I acquired really cheap. It had a bull barrel and that is the only stock I could find that would fit it. The rifle performs, the stock sucked, about like every factory stock these days. I'm still not sure what I am going to do with the rifle - re-barrel and change caliber? Don't know yet. Time will tell I guess.

Have you thought about what twist barrel you are going to use?
I've always wanted to build a fast twist 22-250, to take advantage of the large case shoot 75-80 grain bullets

Good question!

Was looking at a Savage VLP DBM recently but in 12 twist. It comes in 9 twist, but was told by the dealer they didn't have any.

I picked up a Boyd's for a Marlin X7 I acquired really cheap. It had a bull barrel and that is the only stock I could find that would fit it. The rifle performs, the stock sucked, about like every factory stock these days. I'm still not sure what I am going to do with the rifle - re-barrel and change caliber? Don't know yet. Time will tell I guess.

If I go laminate I'm gonna give richards microfit a try. I had many boyds stocks so the change would hopefully be for the better.

If I go laminate I'm gonna give richards microfit a try. I had many boyds stocks so the change would hopefully be for the better.

Have one of those on the bench right now. Best thing I can tell you... have a pile of sand paper on hand!!! (And a dremel too?!?)

Picked one up out of their clearance section for intermediate use while I await a McMillan.

I would go with an 1-8 twist you can still shoot 55gr bullets but can go up to 80's too! leaves you with more options.
My 223's are all throated for 75 Amax I have 3 loads 75Amax 69CC & Berger 52 the barrels are from 7 twist lilja to 8 twist Bartlein
7.7 twist Krieger they shoot light bullets fine

Have one of those on the bench right now. Best thing I can tell you... have a pile of sand paper on hand!!! (And a dremel too?!?)

Picked one up out of their clearance section for intermediate use while I await a McMillan.

I've refinished 2 stocks in my life and didn't enjoy it at all! Good thing is I know a stock maker but he is very expensive! He does amazing work but I'm not interested in dropping 4 digits on a stick. I can give it to him and he will finish and fit it for a nominal fee but if the price is still rediculious, I'll just suck it up and do it myself :(.

I would go with an 1-8 twist you can still shoot 55gr bullets but can go up to 80's too! leaves you with more options.
My 223's are all throated for 75 Amax I have 3 loads 75Amax 69CC & Berger 52 the barrels are from 7 twist lilja to 8 twist Bartlein
7.7 twist Krieger they shoot light bullets fine

Than an 8 twist it is! Even if I never shoot above 60's just knowing I can is fine with me :).

I've refinished 2 stocks in my life and didn't enjoy it at all! Good thing is I know a stock maker but he is very expensive! He does amazing work but I'm not interested in dropping 4 digits on a stick. I can give it to him and he will finish and fit it for a nominal fee but if the price is still rediculious, I'll just suck it up and do it myself :(.

Why not just get a Manners or McMillan to start with? There are also some other laminate stocks out there that are completely finished that I'm sure those with experience with them can chime in on. All will need bedding, but not finishing.

Any thumbholes that are more varmint/bench/hunting looking and not tactical? While those stocks are nice I just don't dig the tactical look :(.

Not that I have experience with. I'm sure someone will add input based on their experience with a builder / supplier that has one and can point you in that direction.

The A3 is my favourite McMillan stock you wont be disappointed I also like the T2 from manners
I buy and sell 20+ McMillan stocks a year for the past 7-10 years so I've had a few they get expensive and heavy the more options you ad to them. when i first started they where fully optioned rails here adjustable everything so heavy:) now on my personal rifles now all boring non adjustable maybe some flush cups, stud etc stock pack if i want to adjust height.

thanks Andrew

The A3 is my favourite McMillan stock you wont be disappointed I also like the T2 from manners
I buy and sell 20+ McMillan stocks a year for the past 7-10 years so I've had a few they get expensive and heavy the more options you ad to them. when i first started they where fully optioned rails here adjustable everything so heavy:) now on my personal rifles now all boring non adjustable maybe some flush cups, stud etc stock pack if i want to adjust height.

thanks Andrew

I want no options, just a color I like and fully inletted. Will they inlet the barrel channel to anything or?

I have a CZ455 that I built with a lilja barrel and other mods. Thing is a laser with eley edge but the shape of the stock just isn't comfortable for me. I'm gonna pull the stock on that as well and I'm gonna give richards microfit a try. I'm gonna order the thumbhole target style with no vents, straight 1" barrel channel (lilja is a straight .900", AA fancy claro walnut, and will pillar/glass bed and finish it. If I like it and I'm 100% happy I'll get one for my m70 build.

You may want to rethink the Tubbs. It may give you more problems (light primer strikes) than its worth. Use the $100 bucks (if you bought the cocking piece as well) toward your barrel or other favorable items.

Am I better off with just going with a stiffer spring? Anything else for options to reduce lock times aside from polishing?

You could go with a heavier spring and probably get your lock time below 2 mil sec. If this rifle is going to be a hunting/steel firearm you're not going to see any benefit going with the Tubbs in my opinion and you stand a chance of having miss fires and aggravation. A good barrel, tuned reloads, and proper shooting technique will yield a greater benefit.

You could go with a heavier spring and probably get your lock time below 2 mil sec. If this rifle is going to be a hunting/steel firearm you're not going to see any benefit going with the Tubbs in my opinion and you stand a chance of having miss fires and aggravation. A good barrel, tuned reloads, and proper shooting technique will yield a greater benefit.

Greatly appreciate that info as I would of been pissed to find that all out the hard way!

I know you said the Manners T5/T5A looked to tacticool but for a thumb hole they are extremely comfortable. Give Manners a call Contacts « Manners Composite Stocks and they will send you a T5 to try out. All you have to do is pay shipping both ways (one way if you really like it). I have never liked most thumbhole stocks but the Manners was very comfortable when I got to handle it. I have no experience with the Sentinal so I can't say how they feel but I do like the look of them especially the folder option.

Gonna go with a 1-12 twist and use the berger varmint match bullets in 55gr and 60gr for target and varmint shooting and will use 60gr nosler partitions for deer.

If that's what you plan on doing, I'd shoot that barrel to shit before I changed it. The rest of the changes I can see now or reasonably close. Then again, if it shoots like you show I wouldn't change anything until you change everything. With the exception of bedding that rifle.

FWIW, I've gotten pretty fond of my post '63 Winchesters. All the hub-bub about what they won't do, when I've got two that will do what yours does. A 6mm Ackley and a .308 Norma HB LR. One of the main things I like about Winchester actions is the integral recoil lug. Overall the action is heavier and therefore stouter than the Rem 700. The extractor/ejector system is better IMO as well. A lot of things to like about the post '63 70 over the 700.