• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Torque question

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2020
I was just trying to remove and retorque the screws on my optics rail to ensure they were correct and 3 of the 4 went without a hitch (factory spec called for 15-20 inch pounds, which I verified with them over the phone before I started, I split the difference at 18), but number 4 (technically number 2, counting from the rear) would not budge and stripped the screw head (number 25 Torx), I have no idea what torque they installed that one at but I’m betting it was WAY more than 20 inch pounds). My question is how much does that matter? Am I good to go just ignoring it or will that throw something off? Do I need to send it in to the factory to get fixed or can I just leave it be since it’s obviously not going anywhere and the other 3 are good?

Rifle is a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The stripped screw is the second from the back on the factory picatinny rail. The other 3 are now torqued to 18 inch pounds and Vibra Tight VC-3ed with a 10 minute cure prior to reinstalling.

It would probably function okay.

But I personally would prefer to replace that screw regardless.
^^This.
My thoughts would be that screw was very likely torqued correctly at the factory but now has some sort of corrosion holding it in place. I would want to stop any sort of corrosion before it really is a problem. Besides, the fix is pretty simple.