• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Torque Wrenches for Scope Mounting

ptalar

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2009
For those of you who mount your own scope bases and scopes what torque wrenches do you use? I use one from Wheeler, the FAT wrench.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=718023

What do you guys use and why? The reason I ask is that I am considering moving to these type of torque wrenches, see link below:

http://www.seekonk.com/

Any thoughts. Or should I just stick with the wheeler.

I am not a gunsmith. Just a hobbiest who buys scopes for his rifles and mounts them himself.

Re: Torque Wrenches for Scope Mounting

I use the Wheeler FAT wrench too, it gets the job done. I had a couple SEEKONK fixed T wrenches but found them rather limited. If I switched it'd be to Borka's tested import adjustable torque driver. My next rings will be ARC M3's so the Borka torque wrench won't work for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Borka torque wrench. </div></div>

+1 Go for the Borka MG5 kit (aka the MG3 SRA)

I am happy with the Seekonk. I use them all the time. I have thought about picking up the Borka, but never could really justify it since I have the Seekonk.

We have sold Seekonk for years, the torque specific T-handle models are little gems that get the job done, made right and made here. I still use the 15 in-lb and 55/65 in-lb T-handles for mounting scopes. They just work and don't break. But they are heavy and having a fleet of them in the field is not practical for many.

However, somebody around here got their hands on the Borka tools MG3 driver and MG3-SRA kits, liked them, told members of the site about it, and lo and behold Seekonk sales fell off a cliff and everyone wanted the Borka torque kit. The Borka is a simple, elegant multi-torque solution invented and constantly improved by a fine old Russian chap, Boris Teper aka kortik on the Hide. We are a Borka dealer and the product has done very well for us. The MG3-SRA is a fabulous piece of kit.

Scott

I started out with a wheeler FAT wrench and it was ok. It actually died (jammed). They did send me a new one for free. But I found this while I was waiting on the FAT to come back. I love it!

Picked it up at Harbor Freight for $19.99 and it works like a champ.
20-200 inch lbs

Torque-Wrench-150x150.jpg

My Replacement FAT wrench is still unopened in the package if anyone wants to IM me about it.

+ 2 on the Borka!

The wheeler Fat and Snap-on wrenches stay in the garage. Borka SRA kit is the only thing that gets close to my rings or anything gun related.

Borka works great, is simple to use, packs up nicely in the included TAB gear pouch and is super easy to pack and take along to the field in your range bag or gun case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptalar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who mount your own scope bases and scopes what torque wrenches do you use? I use one from Wheeler, the FAT wrench.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=718023</div></div>
It seems that a fair number of people on the Hide use Wheeler products but I'm not one of them, as the Wheeler products I've seen (including the the FAT Wrench) seem rather cheaply made and are less than confidence-inspiring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptalar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys use and why. The reason I ask is that I am considering moving to these type of torque wrenches, see link below:

http://www.seekonk.com/</div></div>
The Seekonk wrenches are accurate, but <span style="font-style: italic">as long as the driver is accurate within it's range</span> I'd rather have an adjustable driver than a wrench that is set for a specific torque so I can use it for rings, bases, and the bottom metal. Thats' why I chose the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SK 73008</span></span>. The SK 73008 has a torque-setting range of 16-88 in/lbs. so you can torque rings, mounts, and bottom metal with it instead of having multiple wrenches and/or drivers just for the gun toolbox. You pick your poison.

The downside is that you have to pay for that flexibilty in both dollars (the SK 73008 is around $200.00 shipped is the U.S.) and claimed accuracy %. SK states that the 73008 is accurate to within + or -6% of the indicated setting. Some newer designs from other manufacturers claim + or -4% or even + or -2% of indicated setting, but that accuracy comes at a more limited torque range. Again, you pick your poison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptalar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts. Or should I just stick with the wheeler.

I am not a gunsmith. Just a hobbiest who buys scopes for his rifles and mounts them himself. </div></div>
I'm not a gunsmith either, but I know that when properly used and maintained, better quality tools will outlast tools that aren't as well-made and be more reliable and accurate. And as I said - <span style="font-style: italic">the Wheeler products I've seen</span> seem rather cheaply made and are less than confidence-inspiring.

But in the end its' your money, your perogative, and you have to live with the results you get. The problem is, the SK 73008 is pretty expensive - especially considering that it will probably be used sparingly by you. That said, below are some photos of my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SK 73008</span></span>.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Heavy-duty body is anodized and built for industrial applications:</span></span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriveraccess.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The driver accepts 1/4" drive bits:</span></span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriverHexSoc.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The torque setting is adjusted by turning a hex in the end of the handle with the supplied allen wrench:</span></span>
SKMicrometerTorqueScrewdriverTorque.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="font-style: italic">The dial is marked in 4-pound increments, so if you want something in-between you have to eyeball it:</span></span>
SKDialCloseup.jpg

Keith

I have a Fat wrench, but I couldn't find it, so I called Scott at LO and bought the Borka from him. The Borka has more options and uses compared to the Fat wrench.

Thanks gang. I appreciate the input. I am beginning to think my fat wrench needs replacement and I was trying to find out what the guys on the Hide use before I decide. I prefer adjustable torque wrenches. I will have to investigate the recommendations.

Get yourself a Borka. Since acquiring mine 4 other members at my range have liked it so much that they themselves have gone out and purchased one. I truly love mine I have used it countless number of times with great success. Only problem with them is getting them back when you lend one out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started out with a wheeler FAT wrench and it was ok. It actually died (jammed). They did send me a new one for free. But I found this while I was waiting on the FAT to come back. I love it!

20-200 inch lbs

My Replacement FAT wrench is still unopened in the package if anyone wants to IM me about it.

</div></div>

This torque wrench from Harbor Freight is pretty good for my very light duty usage. Consistent, and inexpensive. If you're just using it to mount stocks and scope bases, it'll work fine. If you're an automotive tech, get a Snap-On or Mac Tools...

FYI, Weaver torque screwdriver and Borka Tools ATD-10x80 adjustable torque screwdriver are of the same design, and most likely, are from the same manufacturer, although I'm not sure. ATD is made in Taiwan. I've started selling my ATDs several months ahead of Weaver, have just a few left. See group buy thread for more info:

Adjustable torque screwdriver ATD-10x80-CRS

The differences between these two are:

1. Borka Tools ATD has longer spindle
2. Borka Tools ATD has 1/4" square drive with ball detent for use with sockets, and 1/4" square to 1/4" hex adapter for use with bits.
3. Borka Tools ATD kit includes my special selection of 32 bits
4. Borka Tools ATD comes in polymer case

Every ATD is checked for function/accuracy prior to shipping to the customer. 32 bits from S2 steel, included with ATD, are of extremely high quality, which is hard to find for this kind of money.

ATD is approximately 10 bucks more when shipped by USPS Priority Mail, in comparison with Weaver sold by Optics Planet, which offers free shipping at the moment, per their website.

When my ATD stock is completely gone, except for 12 units I'll be keeping on the shelf just in case, I will not be importing these ones any more, and will concentrate fully on my own MG multi torque driver production here in the USA.

I think both Weaver and ATD are better designs and also, are better made in general than Wheeler FAT, although Wheeler FAT can be bought much cheaper, so each of them has its place in the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started out with a wheeler FAT wrench and it was ok. It actually died (jammed). They did send me a new one for free. But I found this while I was waiting on the FAT to come back. I love it!

20-200 inch lbs

</div></div>

This torque wrench from Harbor Freight is pretty good for my very light duty usage. Consistent, and inexpensive. If you're just using it to mount stocks and scope bases, it'll work fine. If you're an automotive tech, get a Snap-On or Mac Tools... </div></div>
Yes, I just use it for scopes and stocks. It seems very consistent and is Easy to use. It comes in a nice carrying case that fits in a range bag easily.

I've seen and used the Borka and it's nice. but unless you need something that compact and light to carry in your ruck for doing torque adjustments in the field, I can't justify $100-125 for the Borka when I can do the same for $20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started out with a wheeler FAT wrench and it was ok. It actually died (jammed). They did send me a new one for free. But I found this while I was waiting on the FAT to come back. I love it!

20-200 inch lbs

That's what I use too. Works perfect. It's consistent too, I used it for my rings and stock. The base too actually

</div></div>

This torque wrench from Harbor Freight is pretty good for my very light duty usage. Consistent, and inexpensive. If you're just using it to mount stocks and scope bases, it'll work fine. If you're an automotive tech, get a Snap-On or Mac Tools... </div></div>