• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Toyota Drops Another $391 Million in Texas

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA

Total Investment in Toyota Texas to Exceed $3 Billion;
Company Commits to Further Fund Local Workforce Development

San Antonio, Texas (September 17, 2019) – Through its commitment to build vehicles where they are sold, Toyota is investing $391 million at its San Antonio truck assembly plant to better serve customers. Once complete, the plant’s total investment will exceed $3 billion.

Today’s announcement comes as part of a broader commitment from Toyota to invest $13 billion in its U.S. operations over five years through 2021. This new investment also comes with a commitment by Toyota Texas to continue funding local workforce development, a community need the company has long championed.

As part of Toyota’s commitment to help San Antonio’s workforce and education, Alamo Promise will receive a $500,000 donation from Toyota Texas over a five-year period. Alamo Promise’s mission is to end poverty, enhance economic and social mobility and meet workforce demands throughout the city.

Separately, Aisin AW, a supplier to Toyota Texas and other automakers, announced that it will invest $400 million and bring 900 new jobs to a future facility in nearby Cibolo, TX.

“The Lone Star State continues to build on its reputation as a manufacturing powerhouse thanks to investments from innovative companies like Toyota and Aisin AW,” said Governor Greg Abbott. “Their combined new investment of nearly $800 million in the San Antonio area is a testament to Texas’ unrivaled workforce and commitment to creating an environment where businesses can thrive free from the heavy hand of government regulation and over-taxation. I am grateful to Toyota and Aisin AW for bringing more jobs to the Lone Star State and I look forward to growing our already strong partnership.”

“We’ve been in the U.S. for more than 60 years, creating a tremendous value chain in this country and creating an extensive footprint in the Alamo City since 2003,” said Chris Reynolds, Toyota Motor North America chief administrative officer of manufacturing and corporate resources. “With 10 U.S. plants, 1,500-strong dealer network, an extensive supply chain and other operations, we directly and indirectly employ over 475,000 Americans and are committed to investing here.”

This new investment at Toyota Texas is in response to strong customer demand and will make the plant even more competitive in the long-term and more efficient while remaining flexible with multi-vehicle production capabilities by introducing various advanced manufacturing technologies.

“What a huge win for San Antonio. This is exactly the kind of project our city has strategically been preparing for—it shows we’re a competitive region ready for big investment from large manufacturers,” said San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg. “Toyota’s investment in our people and our city creates opportunity that can change the lives of an entire generation.”

“We’ve seen for nearly twenty years the kind of impact Toyota has had on our workforce. This latest investment shows the company’s commitment to our future,” added Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff. “In addition, Toyota along with Bexar County have partnered to develop TXFAME, an innovative program developing Advanced Manufacturing Technicians. Our workforce makes us competitive for big global manufacturers —we have what it takes to help them grow and prosper in South Central Texas.”

According to a study commissioned by the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, total economic impact of these investments will surpass $10 billion with an employment multiplier of over 40,000 jobs over the next ten years for the region.

This is Toyota’s third investment at its San Antonio truck plant which assembles the full-size Tundra and mid-size Tacoma pickup trucks; the facility directly employs more than 3,200 team members. Including its 23 on-site suppliers, total employment at the plant’s site tops 7,200.

All they need is ... In n Out Burger.

You’re welcome.

D512A5CE-0734-4E12-B266-A45A9D0AEA6E.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: clcustom1911
LOL Fuck the Big Three

One is just the JV team for an eyetalian company, the other two send jobs out of the country as fast as they possibly can and have even stopped or almost stopped making normal cars because they're too stupid to learn how to make and sell them for a profit.

If it weren't for Honda Motor Company, who began manufacturing motorcycles and cars in Ohio in the late 70s, Ohio's manufacturing base would have completely wiped off the map.

I bought my last fake-American car 14 years ago and have never looked back. Honda and Toyota are now more American made than the shit sold out of Detroit has been for years.

And before I forget fuck the UAW with a rusty piece of rebar and a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire.

Bahahah!!!

On a serious note...
The wife has a ‘16 Sequoia that we have been very happy with, save for the horrid fuel economy.....
Having said that, wish Toyota would come out with a diesel option, ideally 3/4 or 1 ton but a heavy 1/2 ton would peak my interest....

So basically the Toyota Diesel Hilux that is pretty much standard equipment in the rest of the world?

Bahahah!!!

On a serious note...
The wife has a ‘16 Sequoia that we have been very happy with, save for the horrid fuel economy.....
Having said that, wish Toyota would come out with a diesel option, ideally 3/4 or 1 ton but a heavy 1/2 ton would peak my interest....

When you see what it takes to get better fuel economy and how it impacts reliability it’s not so bad anymore.

If only they could make a real full-size 1-ton crew cab long box.

Real trucks have a long box. End of discussion. (I may see this differently as I work out of my truck full of tools and parts daily vs the majority of truck owners that see it as a open trunk for groceries.)

We tried some tundras and Nissan's. Neither are as long lasting when loaded as the Ford or Chevy. Simply comes down to the fact that they're not a replacement for a 3/4 or 1 ton. Scrapped all the 1/2 ton trucks before 200k, we've been running our Duramax's and F-350's for 3-400k.

When Toyota builds a truck that will haul my 9' service body, in a truck weighing 10-12k lbs daily, and towing 12-13k weekly, I'll buy one.

Real trucks have a long box. End of discussion. (I may see this differently as I work out of my truck full of tools and parts daily vs the majority of truck owners that see it as a open trunk for groceries.)

We tried some tundras and Nissan's. Neither are as long lasting when loaded as the Ford or Chevy. Simply comes down to the fact that they're not a replacement for a 3/4 or 1 ton. Scrapped all the 1/2 ton trucks before 200k, we've been running our Duramax's and F-350's for 3-400k.

When Toyota builds a truck that will haul my 9' service body, in a truck weighing 10-12k lbs daily, and towing 12-13k weekly, I'll buy one.

This^^^. The Toys are nice for running up and down the hiway but when you want a real truck...Chevy. Ive got a 2002 Express Van 3500 with the 5.7 liter V8 that just turned 255,000. Only troubles so far is a fuel pump at 180K and an alternator at 225K. Gets 17 mpg on the highway.

Once I loaded it so full of stuff that you couldnt get a playing card in sideways and then pulled a 6'x12' box trailer loaded the same way from Texas to Virginia. Never missed a beat.

For my $$$ the diesels arent worth it. Diesel costs 25% more and youve got to put in that uric acid which runs the price up more.

Bahahah!!!

On a serious note...

No shit on the MPG. Toyota makes a gazillion ecobox cars, so they have no need to innovate their trucks to meet CAFE standards. My folks have a 4cyl 2018 Camry that gets 39 mpg highway. I like the Tundra, but my buddy is averaging 13 mpg in his 2016. My brother has a 2016 F-150 that averages 18 mpg. They do make a long box crew cab (not crew max) 1/2 ton Tundra. I saw one at the dealer the other day, it looks strangely huge and I couldn’t imagine parking it daily.

I own two VW diesels with the DEF (urea), until it breaks you never really know it’s there. The 4 gallon tanks in mine last the 10K oil change interval and only cost $20 to refill. The biggest issue is the tank drying out and the DEF crystallizing on everything. My 2011 VW Touareg went through several level sensors, pumps, etc in 100K miles. Rule for new diesel vehicles: do not keep them out of warranty. We’re 12 years into the current diesel emissions cycle, so I don’t think we’ll see too much more innovation, although GM and Ford are both newly into the diesel 1/2 ton truck market.

Last edited:
Probably 70 to 85% of new truck buyers don't care about what fleet/commercial users think a "real truck" is.

And what does that even have to do with Toyota investing billions in American manufacturing?

Reactions: mardad
My company doesn’t buy diesels in anything less than an F450 flat bed and even then the ones that go to the expediter are diesel and the ones the foremen use to commute with are gas. Cheaper that way by far and if the new 7.3L is everything it’s supposed to be that might be the end of diesel for us in light or medium duty trucks.

Funny though because my BMW sedan is a diesel. 42mpg.

Last edited:
While I was in Panama last year I noticed several diesel Toyota Tacoma's and their Front Runner which was a slightly altered 4Runner. Toyota used to have diesel trucks in the early 80's. I think it's cost prohibitive for them to offer versions in the US due to the EPA restrictions. Plus the sales numbers would be too low to recoup the development costs.

I used to be a Toyota Master Tech and we would see all sorts of concepts but many never came to the US. The only one was the hybrid which was supposed to be a Corolla type car before it became the Prius. It went from sedan to goofy looking liberal candy.

Unfortunately due to our horrid EPA restrictions that make Diesel engines cost prohibited and less reliable I doubt it happens.

No to mention what the EPA's regulations have done to the fuel economy of diesel engines. Between DEF and regeneration mode I loose upwards of 8mpg. Yes, I can do a def delete (not sure about regen) but I'm not going to risk the warranty. Diesels tend to be expensive to repair.

I would suggest that most city folks that buy a SUV or small pickup truck, could probably get the same utility out of a large station wagon that had 4wd and a lifted suspension.... but then it would be an SUV HA!

Crossovers are backwards. I don’t want an SUV on car tires I want a sedan on truck tires.

I still think one day it would be great to make a Minivan that had a great engine, 4WD and big truck tyres with a higher up suspension.
Sort of the Minivan version of the discontinued Honda Element with a better engine.

In addition to all the other cool Toyotas we can't get here, wish they had brought the MegaCruiser in.

All of which reminds me I need to get back on that 1980 FJ40 sitting in my shop.

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
It's funny! Here in Europe, we are driving diesel, by almost 60 % and in my particular country, it's only the micro cars and hybrids, there are running gasoline.
It may have something to do with the fuel price, as diesel cost a lot less, than gasoline, but when you has get used to drive a diesel, it's very hard to turn back to gas again ( the torque and economy is incredible ) and the higher price for the car, is by far, worth it.
The european standard for emission is very strict and most diesel cars meeting the standard, pollutes a lot less than a comparable gas driven.
But, diesel has a bad reputation, due to what they were, for about 20 years ago, but a lot of development has happened since then.

It's funny! Here in Europe, we are driving diesel, by almost 60 % and in my particular country, it's only the micro cars and hybrids, there are running gasoline.
It may have something to do with the fuel price, as diesel cost a lot less, than gasoline, but when you has get used to drive a diesel, it's very hard to turn back to gas again ( the torque and economy is incredible ) and the higher price for the car, is by far, worth it.
The european standard for emission is very strict and most diesel cars meeting the standard, pollutes a lot less than a comparable gas driven.
But, diesel has a bad reputation, due to what they were, for about 20 years ago, but a lot of development has happened since then.

A lot of that in Western Europe had to do with CO2 emissions standards.
Diesels put out less CO2 than Petrol engines and as such many governments were using the power of taxation (incentives/rebates/rates) to push more of the public towards Diesels in order to meet the "emissions goals" that the politicians set.

Now they are starting to realize the problem they have caused for themselves of NOx emissions not just from vehicles but from high temp heater/furnaces and many other things. And while CO2 is mostly a bunch of political BS, NOx can be some actual nasty stuff.

You can make diesel from natural gas, it produces either low or no particulates. Would be useful in many applications.

The question would be if it's actually worth the trouble as compared to just running a CNG vehicle instead?
Much like you could make gasoline and jet fuel from air and water, but it would be half the cost to just run a Hydrogen fueled engine.

In addition to all the other cool Toyotas we can't get here, wish they had brought the MegaCruiser in.

All of which reminds me I need to get back on that 1980 FJ40 sitting in my shop.

Fzj80 on stands here. Too damn hot!

Reactions: Waorani