• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Trijicon out of adjustment?

DEEPCREEKTAC

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2022
Iowa
I’ve been having some issues sighting in my Howa 1500 in 308. It was sighted in originally but I’ve been having issues since adding a suppressor.
I’ll go through some shorts steps to get to where I currently am.

1. Had howa 1500 threaded for muzzle device. No issues
2. Direct thread mystic x suppressor. No issues
3. Added dead air muzzle brake, needed adjustment of scope.
4. Added AAC 7.62SDN, scope adjustments were near max out ( all up, all right)
5. Noticed scope mount rail was loose during shooting, took off completely, retorque’d and blue loctite and removed paint from scope rail.
6. Resight in after scope rail removal, adjusted ammo to federal target 150gr previous ammo was “Fort Scott mutinons .308” unknown grain because I through away packaging, started with FSM but switched to Federal target because of groupings. Progression of sight in was 25yd, 50yd, 100yds Target size was infinity defense c zone target

Was able to make it on target at 25,50 yards, but once at 100 it was impossible to get it close without maxing out the scope to all the way up and all the way right (get scope model/specs later)

Any ideas of what could be my issue?

My thoughts,
Messed up the barrel adding muzzle brake, twisted the barrel
Suppressor issues, try different suppressors
Scope/scope rail issue

Are you getting a strike on the brake or suppressor? That's my first thought. It doesn't have to be a catastrophic hit, any touch will throw the round.
Looks like it maybe striking just on the end of the suppressor, but very minimal touching because there is very little marking.
No indication on the brake that it’s striking. I will test without the suppressor and with a different one to see if I get better results.

Looks like it maybe striking just on the end of the suppressor, but very minimal touching because there is very little marking.
No indication on the brake that it’s striking. I will test without the suppressor and with a different one to see if I get better results.
Sounds like my initial guess may have been correct. Do you use an alignment rod when you mount the suppressor? If not, I recommend you do.

As far as the cause(if it shoots good without the can).
1) The treads on the muzzle are not concentric to the bore causing the muzzle brake to sit off-center which then causes the can to sit off-center.
2) Threads on the muzzle brake, either where it attaches to the barrel or where the can attaches, or both, are not concentric to the bore causing the can to sit off-center
3) Threads on the can are not concentric to the bore.

Unless you have tools to measure that runout and such, you should consider a smith or a machinist.