• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

trim length - load development

roklock

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2013
Central PA
OK, I am starting load development for longrange shooting (1000 yards), 300 wsm, winchester coyote lite, stock barrel/chamber. I checked max case length tonight
and I came up with 2.122. Checked it four times since that seems really long compared to the recommended trim length of 2.090. Based on my measurement I figure I should
be trimming to 2.112, does this make sense?

Next question, I am working with once fired norma brass from my rifle. I just FL resized with a .002 bump on the shoulder and my lot of bass varries from 2.092-2.097 in length. Is this varience
acceptable? Do I ever let it "grow" past the 2.112 and trim back to that?

The longest I would allow that to grow would be 2.112. That would keep you .010 off the end of the chamber. Some say that is too close.

If I were going to use 2.112 as my longest length and trim when it got to 2.112, I would trim it .015 to a trimmed length of 2.097. Since I would never be able to remember that number, I would use 2.095.

Since your shortest length is 2.092, you could trim it to that and let it grow from there.