Tripod field shooting with magnums

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2011
UT, United States
Does anyone have any tips on shooting harder recoiling calibers from tripods? The rifle is a suppressed 300 norma that is about 18 Lbs with an arca rail and rrs anvil tripod. I usually shoot an old school .308/hog saddle setup with no issues but this has been a bit harder to manage. If you had to do a standing shot would you shorten the front leg to move the tripod center forward?

Probably just recoil management in general. I figured just like prone, the increased recoil will test your position. I don't have much experience with arca but I have had the whole rifle and tripod jump on me. It almost felt like resting a stock directly on something hard.

Honestly, I shoot my 11 pound 7RM hunting rifle from a tripod pretty much the same way I shoot my 21 pound 6CM gamer gun from a tripod.

I don’t do anything special with the legs. I square up to the target, setup tripod/position such that buttstock is high/medial, I do sort of lean-in/lightly pull-back to establish some pressure/positive connection, and my off hand is typically at the base of the anvil30 so I can quickly detach rifle or loosen/adjust head.

I tend to clip-in way more with my hunting rifle, mainly for better gear management.

Reactions: diggler1833
I'm a complete tripod novice but would some pressure on the fore end of the stock beyond the balance point help with recoil control?
In my experience, tripod shooting technique is dictated by tripod/head. Shittier equipment requires more accommodation. That’s the biggest benefit of an RRS/Anvil30 setup, at least for me. All the pushing, pulling, specific hand placement, belt tying, etc was done because the legs and heads were shitty and had lots of wobble.

Reactions: 912173
I've noticed over the years as recoil has gone down dramatically, the standing technique being taught has gone taller and more upright prioritizing stability over recoil management. I've always gotten my shoulders a little bit in front of my hips but I was still surprised how much harder it was to control even with the rrs arca setup. I'll probably just need to burn some ammo and experiment.

I've noticed over the years as recoil has gone down dramatically, the standing technique being taught has gone taller and more upright prioritizing stability over recoil management. I've always gotten my shoulders a little bit in front of my hips but I was still surprised how much harder it was to control even with the rrs arca setup. I'll probably just need to burn some ammo and experiment.
I typically shoot for the top of the anvil to be at about my sternum if I can help it. My shoulders are in front of my hips - maybe just barely in front of toes, but not by a lot. My legs are spread, but it's not crazy, just shoulder width or a little more. I try and keep my upper body interface/orientation with the rifle the same for sitting, kneeling or standing. NPA is obviously a huge deal when shooting a magnum from a standing tripod position. If your rifle/tripod and/or body NPA are not all in sync and towards the target, you're gonna know about it.

Does anyone have any tips on shooting harder recoiling calibers from tripods? The rifle is a suppressed 300 norma that is about 18 Lbs with an arca rail and rrs anvil tripod. I usually shoot an old school .308/hog saddle setup with no issues but this has been a bit harder to manage. If you had to do a standing shot would you shorten the front leg to move the tripod center forward?
Do you spike your feet ? or still using rubber knob feet in the field . I started spiking feet in field on my last tripod, and have never stopped since. Even using the big CF 42mm tubed I spike the feet.
I used the Saddle for years and really like it still. but I recently moved into the anvil30 this year. anvil has learning curve but it is overall superior. I still dicking around with my rifle positioning/balancing connection point using Anvil, and I think that has a lot to do with handling in taking the shot and recoil

Reactions: DIBBS and 912173
Obviously not ideal for the flat concrete pad if at the range shooting at concrete and bench layout, the rubber feet be better. Shooting off flat hard concrete and tripod sucks and I don't think that ideal, It would make controlling magnum recoil off tough.. Out in the field on ground it like night and day when spiking the feet, as your tripod feet don't move unless you pickup the tripod and move it..

Dont know what kind of tripod setup you using. You could also just rig-up small hook on under-side of the head. When tripod is opened up, just hang your pack or piece of gear from it to anchor tripod better. or if you have a fabric tripod basket just do same throw something in it for a counter weight.
basically, just a 'Lower' center of gravity counterweight to your your rifles top weight and recoil.