Tripod head

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2020
Does anyone make an adaptor to use a camera tripod as a shooting tripod? I would like a tripod but am hesitant to buy one when I already own two for photography, does anyone make just the head/adaptor that I can just snap in to a standard photography quick release, or alternatively a standard quarter inch camera style mount that will attach to a pic or arca rail and then just attach to a standard camera quick release plate?

Or is there a reason that that would be a bad idea?

To clarify, I am not planning to use the camera tripod in the field and I don’t compete, at least not yet, so this would strictly be for convenience at the range.

Does anyone make an adaptor to use a camera tripod as a shooting tripod? I would like a tripod but am hesitant to buy one when I already own two for photography, does anyone make just the head/adaptor that I can just snap in to a standard photography quick release, or alternatively a standard quarter inch camera style mount that will attach to a pic or arca rail and then just attach to a standard camera quick release plate?

Or is there a reason that that would be a bad idea?

To clarify, I am not planning to use the camera tripod in the field and I don’t compete, at least not yet, so this would strictly be for convenience at the range.
Heads are the same. Just get an arca plate and mount to a rest of your choice.

Do you want to shoot off of them or use for rear tripod support?

Most camera tripods are no where near durable and thick enough to shoot off of. They can also be very unstable. They were used in the past out of necessity, and we have dedicated shooting tripods today designed for it. The head also might not be designed for that much weight/recoil.

You also dont need a shooting ball head or leveling head to shoot. You can just throw a game changer or similar bag on the top of the tripod to shoot off. Many times, its more stable than locking in and trying to get the wobble out of the tripod.

There are so many different size bowls and adapters its impossible to know what will work without knowing exactly what you have.