• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Tripod Heights - Your Preferences

Lately my tripod has been used a lot in steep and uneven terrain, to allow me to glass/shoot from a sitting position.

Terrain like this (sorry didn't get a picture of the actual tripod position):

PXL_20240630_185027463.jpg

Reactions: ma smith
I bought the RRS three section for several reasons. One of those was that it was at perfect height for me to look through binoculars with all legs fully deployed. What I didn't anticipate was standing on the uphill side behind the tripod/binoculars. Could use a little more adjustment there. But I use mine mostly for PRS and rarely need to use on a hillside.

I bought the RRS three section for several reasons. One of those was that it was at perfect height for me to look through binoculars with all legs fully deployed. What I didn't anticipate was standing on the uphill side behind the tripod/binoculars. Could use a little more adjustment there. But I use mine mostly for PRS and rarely need to use on a hillside.

This is where my tripod is weakest. I bought a TVC-33S (s = short) because it was on a big discount from RRS, but its barely tall enough to glass in the standing position (luckily I'm short at 5-8.5").

I don't think I would be able to stand uphill from the tripod and use it in the standing position to glass. Matches are typically when I have to use the tripod in the standing position for glassing, but I don't shoot much matches anymore. If this is what you will use it for, its certainly a consideration.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
While it isn't the most sturdiest, the Primos Gen3 trigger stick is the quickest terrain adaptable tripod available.
The newest Alpha model is a great choice too, but not as quick as the Gen3.
When I need to sturdy it up, I use a triggerstick monopod under the buttstock secured with a small bungee cord.
SJC
IMG_1300.JPG

Reactions: Baron23
Thanks for all the comments so far. Definitely thinking about these scenarious you only learn about from being in them. The hillsaide fade-away is a good one. Also tested various tall grass scenarios, and was suprised some of them were easily 50+ inches.

I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to get something shorter than "natural eye level". The latter is my preference for PRS style spotting, but wondering if there is simpler/lighter is doable? eg this thing looks pretty cool...

Thanks for all the comments so far. Definitely thinking about these scenarious you only learn about from being in them. The hillsaide fade-away is a good one. Also tested various tall grass scenarios, and was suprised some of them were easily 50+ inches.

I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to get something shorter than "natural eye level". The latter is my preference for PRS style spotting, but wondering if there is simpler/lighter is doable? eg this thing looks pretty cool...

What are you going to use it for?

What are you going to use it for?
Mostly glassing in the field (binos), but ideally would be shootable, at least to replicate kneeling, standing barricade shots. Key thing IMHO see with clean LOS over basic obstructions, for spotting and ranging, or shooting etc. It would be nice if the weight and bulk was less than a full-size tripod, but am open to being convince either way this is a good/bad ideal...😅

What’s your height? I started with a rrs33 but it was just a tad short for standing and glassing. Moved to the 22i and no issues. I’m 5’10” for comparison. Better to have a little extra than not enough IMO.
6ft so I think an "eye level" tripod is in the 65-70 range, and the typical shooting heights for kneeling and standing (to use as a reference) seem to be that kind of 32-48 inch range not too far off the normal barricade blueprint.

The 22i (edit - TVC-22i Compact) is new to me, I dismissed the inverted 2 piece because they typically fold down so big (36-38in). The new 22ic [compact] appears to fold down to 30 in and still give you a 48 in apex, which IMHO seems to do field shooting pretty well. 30 isnt the best for vertical carry, but its maybe OK with diagonal. (Most L sized backpacks are 18-20 inches if you go by back size).

Id be curious to hear your review on the 22i for field use, including what kind of head and how you think is best way to carry it.

Last edited:
6ft so I think an "eye level" tripod is in the 65-70 range, and the typical shooting heights for kneeling and standing (to use as a reference) seem to be that kind o f32-48 inch range not too far off the normal barricade blueprint.

The 22i is new to me, I dismissed the inverted 2 piece because they typically fold down so big (36-38in). The new 22i appears to fold down to 30 in and still give you a 48 in apex, which IMHO seems to do field shooting pretty well. 30 isnt the best for vertical carry, but its maybe with diagonal. (Most L sized backpacks are 18-20 inches if you go by back size).

Id be curious to hear your review on the 22i for field use, including what kind of head and how you think is best way to carry it.

I honestly do not use the 22i for field use and I would say it is probably not the best for that use case due to its size. Being as your 6ft tall I would definitely be looking at the 24L or 34L and 22i if being able to spot standing up is needed. IMO the 24L is probably the most versatile tripod that will get everything done relatively well. It'll pack the best out of those three but will still be plenty sturdy for shooting off of.

I like the Anvil specific head on the regular tripods as they pack to a smaller diameter, unfortunately with the inverted leg setup that apex is too small.

I just edited to clarify there is a new RRS 22ic compact in addition the standard 22i (Mk-2).

I just edited to clarify there is a new RRS 22ic compact in addition the standard 22i (Mk-2).

You're not going to be able to spot standing with that. Looks handy but if one of your criteria is to be able to spot standing that's gonna really limit your selection to something longer.

You're not going to be able to spot standing with that. Looks handy but if one of your criteria is to be able to spot standing that's gonna really limit your selection to something longer.
I'm not sure I'd absolutely need full standing in the field, that was part of the OP question to see what people actually use.

I'm thinking now the 34L is probably the default choice. Was really looking to see if there was guys saying they could get buy without full standing in a field tripod. Alot of the NRL hunter vids guys are glassing/shooting down low, which is also more my preference/experience.

But we all run into a scenario where another 6in comes in handy...

I’m 6’4 and have the 34L and 22i. On many occasions I’ve maxed out 1 or 2 legs on a hillside to get comfortable standing position. It never hurts to have that extra length for awkward positions. 22i is great but long to pack around and too short for me to comfortably spot all day like you do in PRS. HIGHLY recommend 34L

For me
PRS-34L
NRL-22i

It all really comes down to your personal needs for sure. I would make a list of what's important to you in order of priority, this may help isolate certain options. The primary use for my tripod is spotting at PRS style matches where we are standing behind glass most of the day so being able to comfortable stand was a big issue and why I ended up getting rid of my 33. Shortening the tripod is a lot easier than making them taller LOL.

Mostly glassing in the field (binos), but ideally would be shootable, at least to replicate kneeling, standing barricade shots. Key thing IMHO see with clean LOS over basic obstructions, for spotting and ranging, or shooting etc. It would be nice if the weight and bulk was less than a full-size tripod, but am open to being convince either way this is a good/bad ideal...😅
If your glassing you definitely want full height.
For shooting you can get away with a more compact tripod, but glassing for extended periods on a low tripod is a bit painful.

You could always get a centre extension but that's annoying to take on and off.

If your glassing you definitely want full height.
For shooting you can get away with a more compact tripod, but glassing for extended periods on a low tripod is a bit painful.

You could always get a centre extension but that's annoying to take on and off.

Depends on your glassing conditions.

Glassing sitting will be much more comfortable sitting - say glassing Coues deer for 10+ hours.

At a PRS match, the occasional glassing is much more convenient from a full standing position.

If you’re planning on glassing/shooting in un even terrain, make sure to buy a tripod that is taller than you think you will need.

I’m 6’ 5” so haven’t been able to find a tripod tall enough for me in uneven terrain. I am using a leofoto 404c which goes to around 6’ plus my RRS BH55 which probably adds another 4”.

Many times I wish it was 6-8” taller……… so does my wife :)