• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tripod noob - Innorel RT90C setup

wyve

I like planes :)
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2024
New Mexico
Hey guys,

Looking to try and set up a tripod for some bolt guns. Read a bunch on here about the Innorel RT90C. Couple guys have mentioned using the Innorel n52 ball head with it. Looking on Amazon, do I need the tripod and the bowl adapter?

My rifles don't have ARCA rails, so I'm leaning toward a clamp type mount.

So, to complete that type setup. I just need a clamp eh? Anyone got recommendations on one? Or if I'm missing some piece from the overall package. It's a little confusing with the different pieces and the different ##mm measurement patterns.

Also open to complete build suggestions. Just not a wild RRS setup, I'm not there yet :)

do I need the tripod and the bowl adapter?
not for that kind of ball head... those thread onto the 3/8-16 screw on the 75mm plate that comes with it

ARCA or tac table with bag > any kind of clamp saddle thing

How/how often do you intend to use the tripod? RT90C's are pretty big, they're not easy to put on a pack

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
@R_A_W Ok gotcha. Good to know about the plate and screws.
As for the second part, I know ARCA is best. I don't know what a tac table and bag is.
Guess as use-case, I figured I'd need a tripod for range purposes. I don't currently plan on needing to pack it in/out of areas.
I have a GAP M24 and MK13 Mod 5 currently being made. Neither have ARCA rails. I assumed a clamp saddle would be the only way I could tripod these guns. I'm very much open to being informed on what's better!

Tac tables are just some form of flat plate about 5" x 9". You can buy them or just make your own out of aluminum plate or cutting board, then put grip tape on the top. See here

A shooting bag is like an Armageddon Gear Gamechanger Schmedium or Weibad Fortune Cookie.

RT90C's are fine for basic range use. The only thing they're absolutely terrible for is backpacking.

Last edited:
Forget about the name brands for a minute, and step back at the general layout of the tripod.

40mm legs with a 75 to 100mm bowl.

This is maximum mass = maximum stiffness design tha will work at the lowest quality level due to being overbuilt. The leofoto 403/404 series is pretty similar and tests stiffer than a 3 series RRS.

problem with these monsters is they are just to big to really be user friendly,
ie outside of PRS or square range only applications.

As you go down in leg size, you have to start worrying more about quality.

Also, the minimum price of "good enough" tends to increase.

The 2 vets is playing in this middle ground, but they are 2x the cost of innorel.

Forget about the name brands for a minute, and step back at the general layout of the tripod.

40mm legs with a 75 to 100mm bowl.

This is maximum mass = maximum stiffness design tha will work at the lowest quality level due to being overbuilt. The leofoto 403/404 series is pretty similar and tests stiffer than a 3 series RRS.

problem with these monsters is they are just to big to really be user friendly,
ie outside of PRS or square range only applications.

As you go down in leg size, you have to start worrying more about quality.

Also, the minimum price of "good enough" tends to increase.

The 2 vets is playing in this middle ground, but they are 2x the cost of innorel.
Like it or not, name brands matter in the current market. You can't just look at a couple specs to determine real world performance. The joints are the weak links in these cheaper tripods. In my experience, a 3-series leofoto (with larger leg diameters and a larger apex) was less stable than a 2-series RRS (with smaller leg diameters and a smaller apex), because the Leofoto's cheap joints have more slop.

He also has two medium heavy guns so a clamp is not advisable ,,,,,, correct ? I’m searching also , same thing not competing , don’t need the best but don’t want junk , I have an innorel n44 and now I want something sturdier
I was looking at the
leofoto
Innorel
Sunway foto

He also has two medium heavy guns so a clamp is not advisable ,,,,,, correct ? I’m searching also , same thing not competing , don’t need the best but don’t want junk , I have an innorel n44 and now I want something sturdier
I was looking at the
leofoto
Innorel
Sunway foto
I think you're right one the first part. Nobody thinks a clamp is a good idea for my guns. Noted.
I'm also in the same boat. Not competing, don't need a 1000+ RRS setup, but don't want some junk.

You can't just look at a couple specs to determine real world performance.
The two vets 38mm legs and rt90c 40mm legs have been widely used in PRS circles in the past 4-5 years, and were basically identical in spec/trade dress up to a couple years ago to the FLM and leofoto versions tested by centre column. Both outperform the RRS 34-L in absolute stiffness tests at similar heights (eye level), so its no co-incidence IMHO you see those recommended as cheaper options in so many threads.

I won't disagree with your point, in theory, that durability and vibration damping etc really do matter. But no matter how expensive and high quality the RRS 2 series or 1 series are they are vastly inerior to the 3 series in absolute stiffness, and also durability and vibration dampling etc. Thats largely just because they are relatively underbuilt with less "stuff" in the 2 series or 1 series. The downside is heavier builds aren't great for packing/hiking etc.

The two vets 38mm legs and rt90c 40mm legs have been widely used in PRS circles in the past 4-5 years, and were basically identical in spec/trade dress up to a couple years ago to the FLM and leofoto versions tested by centre column. Both outperform the RRS 34-L in absolute stiffness tests at similar heights (eye level), so its no co-incidence IMHO you see those recommended as cheaper options in so many threads.

I won't disagree with your point, in theory, that durability and vibration damping etc really do matter. But no matter how expensive and high quality the RRS 2 series or 1 series are they are vastly inerior to the 3 series in absolute stiffness, and also durability and vibration dampling etc. Thats largely just because they are relatively underbuilt with less "stuff" in the 2 series or 1 series. The downside is heavier builds aren't great for packing/hiking etc.
Which of those have you owned?

I've been using an RT90C with an anvil 30 head using the bowl adapter that's made by one of the members here for several years now. It works quite well, but as mentioned it isn't something I'd want to pack and hike around with all day. It's stable, but bulky and heavy.

I keep telling myself I need to pick up an RRS to have something that's more compact and much lighter to pack around for hunting use, but still haven't bought one yet.

To echo what secant said, don't skimp on the head. Anvil 30 is highly recommended if you can swing it.

Reactions: wyve
20240530_141121.jpg

This is the innorel rt90 set up. I bought it second hand off a buddy that used it for 2+ years. I've used it for 2+ years. Swap out the bowl with something that has an arca clamp and you can put little arca plates on the bottom of your guns. I've shot off it out past 1k. Works just fine. No issues.

Yeah I wish I had zco and rrs money. But I shoot more and this works fine.

I am here to echo the positive remarks regarding the Innorel RT90C and Anvil 30 with the plate made by user - midwestoffroad, if he has any left or still makes them. The tripod is very sturdy for spotting/shooting and the Anvil 30 has no trouble supporting the weight of a 15 - 18 lb rifle via Arca or Picatinny rails.

I used it in a 3 day comp that involved walking/running stage to stage years ago and it worked great with my LMT MWS but added some extra weight over the RRS alternative and isn't the quickest to set up or take down.

Last edited:
I also echo the RT90c and N52 praise. I use mine when stand hunting. I have yet to try it in competition. I use both the Hog Saddle and the ARCA plate. That all depends on which rifle I’m using. I am pleased with the stability of the platform.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
For me, my tripod exists mostly for holding up binos, tripod-rear support for PRS, and the best thing ever for cleaning my rifle... but it's stable enough to shoot off of too. I just happen to think shooting off a tripod is more than a little overrated unless one is using it for hunting (I got bored of it after ~5 shots lol).

That said, I've been running the older/cheaper RT80C for around ~4 years, and while it's not as beefy as an RT90C, it works fine (and my gun weighs ~22lbs).

If I were flying into Alaska or BC for some epic hunt I'd spent thousands on, I'd pony up for RRS stuff... but for just about everything else, the Innorel stuff is fine IMHO, and I wouldn't even go for an Anvil ballhead until you are sure you really need it. I have a cheap Artcise 46mm ball head and it does everything I'd ever need it to for like ~$35 lol (again, it supports a ~22lb gun just fine). But hey, I'm cheap lol.

You want ARCA, those saddles are crap.

Yes and no. When those Hog saddles came out they were amazing. There wasn't anything better. Definitely solid when you lock in.

But yeah arca is the way now.

I just have a bad impression… years ago my buddy was trying to show me his brand new fancy tripod with a saddle and was like “look, it holds the rifle for you…” as it slid out and the muzzle dug into the dirt. 🤣

Yes and no. When those Hog saddles came out they were amazing. There wasn't anything better. Definitely solid when you lock in.

But yeah arca is the way now.
I agree the Arca is much better. But my hunting rifles don’t have the Arca mount. I do use the tripod with my match rifles. They all have the Arca rail.

I also echo the RT90c and N52 praise. I use mine when stand hunting. I have yet to try it in competition. I use both the Hog Saddle and the ARCA plate. That all depends on which rifle I’m using. I am pleased with the stability of the platform.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg
Appreciate the input! The 90c just heavy? That seems to be the main complaint eh?

Reactions: 6MT
Just returned from the Competition Dynamics Steel Team Safari. Carried Mystery Ranch pack, JP .224 Valk, and the Innorel 90 with a RRS Anvil 30. Weight was not an issue. Waked about 3 miles+- each day for each course. Anvil 30 is ARCA. I like ARCA. My partner used similar but used Bog Pod clamp. Both setups performed better than the shooter. ZERO stability issues with either when shooting from the tripod. Are there lighter, higher quality tripods out there? Abosofreakinlutely! Does the Innorel with the RRS do the job? Absofreakinlutely! If you can add ARCA to your rig, I would highly advise it. Easier to clip in rifle, binos, spotting scope,etc. if you want a clamp, the Innorel will still perform. It’s a beast of a tripod. Little weighty, but rock solid. If you use it like I do, one or two matches a year, it’s money. If you are going to trek in the back country to hunt, or shoot more than a cpl matches a year, go high $$$ and invest in a Two Vets or a RRS.

Reactions: 6MT and wyve
Just returned from the Competition Dynamics Steel Team Safari. Carried Mystery Ranch pack, JP .224 Valk, and the Innorel 90 with a RRS Anvil 30. Weight was not an issue. Waked about 3 miles+- each day for each course. Anvil 30 is ARCA. I like ARCA. My partner used similar but used Bog Pod clamp. Both setups performed better than the shooter. ZERO stability issues with either when shooting from the tripod. Are there lighter, higher quality tripods out there? Abosofreakinlutely! Does the Innorel with the RRS do the job? Absofreakinlutely! If you can add ARCA to your rig, I would highly advise it. Easier to clip in rifle, binos, spotting scope,etc. if you want a clamp, the Innorel will still perform. It’s a beast of a tripod. Little weighty, but rock solid. If you use it like I do, one or two matches a year, it’s money. If you are going to trek in the back country to hunt, or shoot more than a cpl matches a year, go high $$$ and invest in a Two Vets or a RRS.
Great info bro. Thanks for that. I've heard there's an ARCA rail option for the AI 2.0 chassis. So, that's a possibility at least. Don't think it's an option for the M24 though. Oh well.
Couple guys have recommended the Two Vets Recon v2 (from the PX or on sale somewhere) or the RT90C, with either the Anvil 30 or MA-30L head. Appreciate you having first-hand intel on the exact combo I was lookin at!

Personally I'm a big fan of inverted leg tripods like the RRS TVC-22i. They are expensive so a cheaper alternative though admittedly not of the same quality and that's not to say they're bad as they are not would be the Leofoto so-series-x-version. I have both (well the older none X version of the Leofoto) and I will concede the RRS has superior build quality but the Leofoto is better value for money by a long way. I'll leave the whole one's made in X and the others made in XX argument to others, I'll simply state I'm happy with them both.

Last edited:
Personally I'm a big fan on inverted leg tripods like the RRS TVC-22i. They are expensive so a cheaper alternative though admittedly not of the same quality and that's not to say they're bad as they are not would be the Leofoto so-series-x-version. I have both (well the older none X version of the Leofoto) and I will concede the RRS has superior build quality but the Leofoto is better value for money by a long way. I'll leave the whole one's made in X and the others made in XX argument to others, I'll simply state I'm happy with them both.

Those 2-piece invert, like RRS .. or the 2-Vets QDT V2 LS inverted .. I never really understood till last week when I actually put my hands on one with the rifle mounted just how rigid things get . I though the RT90c was really GTG, and I used Innorel carbon for long time out shooting dogs at night . The 2-Vets QDT V2 LS invert 2-piece was like a ROCK, and when you really concentrate the x-hairs out past 200 yrd. the superiority really stands out strong for upping your precision of shot placement.

Personally I'm a big fan on inverted leg tripods like the RRS TVC-22i. They are expensive so a cheaper alternative though admittedly not of the same quality and that's not to say they're bad as they are not would be the Leofoto so-series-x-version. I have both (well the older none X version of the Leofoto) and I will concede the RRS has superior build quality but the Leofoto is better value for money by a long way. I'll leave the whole one's made in X and the others made in XX argument to others, I'll simply state I'm happy with them both.

I'll take a look at the Leofoto. Appreciate the recommendation. Not at the RRS level yet.

Those 2-piece invert, like RRS .. or the 2-Vets QDT V2 LS inverted .. I never really understood till last week when I actually put my hands on one with the rifle mounted just how rigid things get . I though the RT90c was really GTG, and I used Innorel carbon for long time out shooting dogs at night . The 2-Vets QDT V2 LS invert 2-piece was like a ROCK, and when you really concentrate the x-hairs out past 200 yrd. the superiority really stands out strong for upping your precision of shot placement.
Couple people have talked about inverted now. I'll have to study up on that. Good to hear you are liking the 90c though. I'll put that 2 Vets model on the list also!

Couple people have talked about inverted now. I'll have to study up on that. Good to hear you are liking the 90c though. I'll put that 2 Vets model on the list also!
Ya.. It really surprised me when I put hands on one out in field . I grabbing the Big tube invert 2-piece tripod, with physically trying to twist and flex when opened up to length. It's a Night/Day difference with rigidity-stability with rifle . I did not check-out the RRS one, this was the 2-vets model, but expect both to be similar rigid top quality . Innorel's served me well, but I 'will' be moving up and into a 2-piece leg invert's.

Ya.. It really surprised me when I put hands on one out in field . I grabbing the Big tube invert 2-piece tripod, with physically trying to twist and flex when opened up to length. It's a Night/Day difference with rigidity-stability with rifle . I did not check-out the RRS one, this was the 2-vets model, but expect both to be similar rigid top quality . Innorel's served me well, but I 'will' be moving up and into a 2-piece leg invert's.

Interesting, I'm glad you brought this up.

I mostly use my RT90c while sitting for ground squirrel blasting, and when set to about 31 inches high (only the first and largest diameter leg section extended about 9 inches) it's still quite stiff. However, for standing use where 2 of the sections are fully extended and the third is partially extended it does move around a bit more as expected, and I have noticed that makes hits on small targets at longer distances more difficult when deployed at standing height.

Based on your info sounds like I may want to look into a tall 2 section inverted tripod to have a stiffer platform for standing use. Wonder how awkward it would be to use a taller 2 section inverted tripod for sitting use; I'm guessing I'd have to splay the legs more open to the second notch to get it low enough... or get one compact 2 section inverted tripod for sitting use and 1 tall section tripod for standing use, but it would be nice to only pack one tripod that can do both jobs so I didn't have to buy a second anvil 30 head or share the head between 2 tripods. The RT90c being 3 sections handles everything from prone to standing, and that's handy, but as you brought up more stiffness at standing height would be great.

@Kiba how stable are you needing? Both the QDT and QDT inverted 2 piece tripods I have used are extremely stable for standing shooting, but they come at the price of being huge and bulky. Additionally, when I've used my QDT at a sitting level, the legs are usually so spread out that it becomes a problem finding the space to set it up. I bought a closeout Leofoto ranger 4 piece tripod this last year mostly for hog hunting and as a loaner tripod. It has performed well and I'm much happier with it for the hunting based shooting I do than the 2 section.

20230812_080904.jpg

@Kiba how stable are you needing? Both the QDT and QDT inverted 2 piece tripods I have used are extremely stable for standing shooting, but they come at the price of being huge and bulky. Additionally, when I've used my QDT at a sitting level, the legs are usually so spread out that it becomes a problem finding the space to set it up. I bought a closeout Leofoto ranger 4 piece tripod this last year mostly for hog hunting and as a loaner tripod. It has performed well and I'm much happier with it for the hunting based shooting I do than the 2 section.

View attachment 8504836

My RT90c isn't bad IMO at standing height for shooting from, but hearing the 2 section inverted tripods are stiffer at standing height makes me interested in what I'm missing out on to help out with standing shots. Ground squirrels are little targets and any improvement in the tripod stiffness and stability at standing height over my current setup would be appreciated, which is why I asked.

However, your mention of the taller 2 section inverted tripods being awkward at sitting height is what I'm worried about, as I use the tripod primarily for varmint hunting, probably 75% sitting / 25% standing. I really need a single tripod that can handle both as walking back and forth to the vehicle to swap tripods or carrying 2 isn't practical. The tall 2 section inverted tripods sound like they'll be a pain at sitting height because of the large leg footprint in the splayed position, while the short/compact 2 section inverted tripods look like they'll be great at sitting height but won't extend tall enough for standing use.

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
@Kiba unfortunately you probably won't be sure until you try one. I've not seen many shorter 2 piece tripods, but as you mentioned I would be concerned about not having the vertical adjustability.

You give up lots of flexibility with the big 2 pieces for that stability. I could've never made this position work off the roof of our mule the other week with the 2 piece. *that grass/weed is about 3 feet tall, you could barely see the tops of the hogs.
20240905_085007.jpg

Good info.

Sounds like I might need to have both a multi section tripod and a 2 section tall inverted tripod in the gear stash depending on application. The multi section is certainly more versatile, but it sounds like if I'm going to a spot where I know the situation is going to be standing shots only the 2 section inverted might be the more stable option.

Looks like 2 vets has a 3 section inverted tripod (recon V2) that would cover both sitting use without splaying the legs way out as well as working for standing use, but I'm guessing it isn't as stiff as a 2 section inverted tripod at standing height because of the extra joint and smaller diameter of the third section legs. Wonder how it compares stiffness wise to my RT90c at standing height...