Truck Bed Liner on Stock?

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    Has anybody ever tried putting rhino liner or line-x on their rifle stock? I just got a sako trg 22 and was thinking it might be a really durable finish on the outside that would provide better grip and be super durable.

if you have done this please share your experience and pics. just a random idea i had so feel free to share your opinion even if you think it is retarded it won't bother me one bit.

thanks scott

Re: Truck Bed Liner on Stock?

Sounds different to me. I won't knock it till you try it. Sounds like it might work but hopefully someone can give you some input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have not done it but I am sure it would work. It is very durable, lots of colors, lots of textures. The only issue you may have is that it adds significant thickness and weight. </div></div>

I am 6'5" with rather large hands so that will only help. i bet they would do it pretty cheap if you had it taped off and ready to spray. i am going to call the guys that did my dodge on monday and see how much they would do it for.

it just seems like a finish you could beat the shit out of and it would still hold up, which is really useful for those of us that shoot tactical matches were we are always wedging are rifle in rocks or barracades or the ground itself.

main thing in adheasion. give it a try on a few things like a jack handle, an axe handle, shovel, something you will handle alot. dont want it to peel at the edges, it may be too thick, it may not feel like you want. i used a thing called what-a-liner. its from canada. it has grit in it. an aggregate. its chemical resistant. comes in several formulas for different applications. it was great to work with.

5040990174_371229fa6e_b.jpg

5040989660_4d50afbeaf_b.jpg

Hey Diggler,

I had Rhino lining done on a piece of equipment back around '95, give or take a year. That stuff <span style="font-weight: bold">DOES NOT COME OFF!</span> I hope who ever does your spraying does NOT screw up. Whether it comes out right or wrong, it will be permanent either way. Unless something has drastically changed in the past 15(?) years.

Best of luck my Friend!

that what-a-liner is from chiri enterprises out of canada. goes on easy. i could tell it was different. i did that with an awl. i used the pointy end like a quill pen to draw the stuff on. dries to a hard plastic shell. grit is covered and not sharp. you can easily put layers over layers with no bonding issues. im going to do my bronco with this stuff. i think they make a thicker formula too, but i like this. for prep, i used 150 or 100 sandpaper to rough it up. acetone to clean it and this stuff went on super easy. i was just too lazy to retape it. last time i used tool handle spray. pass on that. bed liner may do, but play with the finish. too hard like some brands are and you will have tupperware, too sticky you will have nerf. you know what i mean. its a decent idea, but you gotta make sure the guy thats applying isnt a hack, its hard to get the good stuff to DIY, you gotta tape & cure where? cant say its a bad idea, its just logistics

i don't want to apply i will have the professional apply it for me so its done right. i think it would be cheap if i chose the same color that someone else was putting on there truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">main thing in adheasion. give it a try on a few things like a jack handle, an axe handle, shovel, something you will handle alot. dont want it to peel at the edges, it may be too thick, it may not feel like you want. i used a thing called what-a-liner. its from canada. it has grit in it. an aggregate. its chemical resistant. comes in several formulas for different applications. it was great to work with.

</div></div>

Nice pattern on the forearm AXEMAN.

Is it waves?

Is it Flames?

OR this THE BAT RIFLE?

Looks like this would work OK if it doesn't chip off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">main thing in adheasion. give it a try on a few things like a jack handle, an axe handle, shovel, something you will handle alot. dont want it to peel at the edges, it may be too thick, it may not feel like you want. i used a thing called what-a-liner. its from canada. it has grit in it. an aggregate. its chemical resistant. comes in several formulas for different applications. it was great to work with.

</div></div>

Nice pattern on the forearm AXEMAN.

Is it waves?

Is it Flames?

OR this THE BAT RIFLE?

Looks like this would work OK if it doesn't chip off.
    </div></div>

thanks, its just a 10fcp in an HS stock. i just didnt want thaht solid block up there so i went this way. when it was taped the first time, i saw it was gonna be hard to get fine detailed flames so i used a simple flame pattern. went on well. its an industrial product with a few applications. im confident it will hold up. i went back and filled in areas that had less grit and it bonded to itself well.

Scott it sounds like a great idea. I had a bed done in a truck once and it was some tuff shit to say the least. Keep us posted if you get it done and let us know how it turned out and maybe you can post a few pictures. There is a place right down the street from me and if seems to work out good for you i am thinking of trying it out on a stock. See what colors they may offer it in.

I have experimented with some hercules liner stuff I got from the local autoparts store and it worked good.It was roll-on.The only down side I found was that maybe my in-particular brand was durable but yet the surface was a little to rubber to paint.I tried a sample piece and the paint came off of the liner material.Experiment first if your interested in using it,just my .02cents.Goodshootin'

~Reagan