• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

tumbler brass cleaning

Re: tumbler brass cleaning

Suggest if your goung to size the neck clean it first so you have a clean lubed neck to work with . I just changed to tumbling with poin media and its workinh great , I just deprime , trim if needed then tumble .
Bill

I tumble first, then resize/decap. Tumbling usually results in some flash holes getting clogged with tumbling media crumbs. The decapper pin automatically clears these flash holes during the decapping process.

Decapping before tumbling essentially always results in clogged flash holes, even if it's just a few. If you aren't watching out for it, a clogged flash hole can result in a misfire. Until I figured this one out I was scratching my head a lot.

Greg

+1
smile.gif

I tumble after firing, then size. If I need to get any lube off, I'll tumble again for a short period. If you use the small media, it won't clog the flash hole. I had some older walnut media that was bigger, and would sometimes stick in the flash hole.

This is the way to go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nwsnowbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decap first, then tumble with stainless steel media. My primer pockets and flash holes come out nice and clean and I haven't had a single clogged hole. </div></div>

I use lapua brass and do not tumble at all. I consider it at best a waste. It can cause problems depending on what you tumble in. I clean all brass after sizeing with a paper towel. I load the lapua brass 50 times and throw it away. No idea how long it will last. The secret is not set the shoulder back more than nessissary. Primer pockest will get slightly loose. I have found no other brass that will last more than 15-20 loadings. JMO

Pistol or rifle cases?
For rifle, I always decap before cleaning, even because I do not tumble at all (I use IOSSO).
I do not care much of reloading speed, when dealing with rifle ammunition.
Now that I finally decided to get into pistol ammo reloading, I got a tumbler and I'm actually curious of what people do.
But this is maybe due to a different thread.

I use 1X Lake City Brass for .223, and this is how I reload newly aquired brass:

1: Tumble Brass
2: Inspect Cases
3: Trimmer "ALL" Brass to 1.745
4: Decap
5: Swage Military Crimp using Dillon Super Swage
6: Tumble Again
7: Lube
8: Resize and Decap (the "Decap" step removes media from the primer pocket)
9: Powder Charge
10: Powder check
12: Seat Bullet
13: Crimp Bullet
13: Tumble 1/2 volume for 10mins to remove lube (Yes you can tumble live ammo. It's in the Dillion Manual)
14: Load onto stripper clips. (If you Like)
15: Use a case gauge every tenth or fifteenth round for quality control

It never hurts to clean the brass. It is a set and forget job. That's unlike the menial task of trimming or swaging.