• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Tungsten guide rod weights??

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
Glock 23 gen 3
Does the heavy guide rod really help?
who makes the heaviest?
I am always just trying to improve on it.
thank s for your time and input!

Glock 23 gen 3
Does the heavy guide rod really help?
who makes the heaviest?
I am always just trying to improve on it.
thank s for your time and input!
Adding a tiny bit of weight can help reduce muzzle flip a tiny bit. If you are a competition shooter and want to shave every .01 second off your time and can't add a compensator in your division, sure.
But I'm guessing you are not competing with a Glock 23.
Depending upon what you want, there are likely options.
Instructor and practice will help more than anything below if you are still developing your skills.
If the issue is speed shooting, you may want to try a 9mm barrel and/or compensator.

My favorite setup that size is a Glock 19 with Carver 2 port comp. Fits a Glock 34 holster.

Reactions: Adam B and trauma1
Adding a tiny bit of weight can help reduce muzzle flip a tiny bit. If you are a competition shooter and want to shave every .01 second off your time and can't add a compensator in your division, sure.
But I'm guessing you are not competing with a Glock 23.
Depending upon what you want, there are likely options.
Instructor and practice will help more than anything below if you are still developing your skills.
If the issue is speed shooting, you may want to try a 9mm barrel and/or compensator.

My favorite setup that size is a Glock 19 with Carver 2 port comp. Fits a Glock 34 holster.
You are correct! I am trying to improve scores with loose time limits. I really like my 40. I am better with my old classic SW 5906. I just want to be as accurate with my 40. I realize my technique is the consistent factor. Just want to weigh the odds in my favor. Thank you for your response

If you are in competition what type and your division may restrict what you can do.

But the best performance I get out of a compact Glock is the 19 with comp. Personally, I find the 9mm faster, easier to control and has bigger magazine capacity than the 40 S&W.

The compensator is a game changer, it reduces flip, less recoil (you will probably want a weaker recoil spring) and the added length makes it feel more stable.

Attachments

• 16277020803526189864328142988775.jpg
    16277020803526189864328142988775.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210730_232947.jpg
    20210730_232947.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 62
If you are in competition what type and your division may restrict what you can do.

But the best performance I get out of a compact Glock is the 19 with comp. Personally, I find the 9mm faster, easier to control and has bigger magazine capacity than the 40 S&W.

The compensator is a game changer, it reduces flip, less recoil (you will probably want a weaker recoil spring) and the added length makes it feel more stable.
Well that makes sense! I have to admit that I need education on comps. What barrel late you running? Thank you for your response!

A threaded barrel will be about 1/2" longer than OEM.
I know Carver Custom will talk you through what you need- good people. I have no affiliation with them, just a customer. There are also lots of other companies that have good products.

Reactions: trauma1
I went down the same road with my Glock 48 and 43x. The stainless guide rod you can tell a difference compared to stock a fair amount on the 43x and a little on the 48. Then tried a tungsten couldn’t tell a difference in it and stainless. The tungsten is over 2x the money. I weighed them both the tungsten was only a couple grams heavier than the stainless.

Wow
I went down the same road with my Glock 48 and 43x. The stainless guide rod you can tell a difference compared to stock a fair amount on the 43x and a little on the 48. Then tried a tungsten couldn’t tell a difference in it and stainless. The tungsten is over 2x the money. I weighed them both the tungsten was only a couple grams heavier than the stainless.
Wow! I am surprise there is such a small variation in weight, especially for the price. Thank you

If you really want to add a little weight to see if it helps, you may want to add a laser light like in my pictures above. I think of them as essential gear on a defense pistol.
Some people are not fans of lasers, but I love them. Regardless a good light is a must.

Last edited:
Looks like someone is trying to make up for a shitty grip by buying trinkets.
I'm not sure I would have chosen your wording, but an hour of instruction and a few nights of dry fire practice may be the most productive.

But, if he is trying to get a light weight compact to shoot more like a full size steel pistol, the S&W 5906, the trinkets may close the gap.