Turd Alert - Aneomemeter

Gary/CO

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2003
www.sharpshooterpress.com
I've read a lot of books on WW II sniping and nowhere have I ever read that German snipers were issued anemometers (wind speed thingy). On top of that, the seller asserts it belonged to Sepp Allerberger. Note: Third Gebirgs Division is scrawled on it. It should be Third Gebirgjager Division and regiment #, not battalion is on it. I don't think the person knows history. Move the decimal over to the left and I'd buy it as "toy" to play with.

link

What seller? What book?

WWII German anemometer:
tumblr_mj8uscP7T81s4zsbdo1_500.gif

Well, that thing is off the charts kewl as all hell. You should see the POS anemometers duh Gubmint buys today. That thing looks like a Swiss watch. Really, that could be used by anyone who needs a wind value, as it's so compact. However, IMO the threaded base sort of rules out Navy. It looks like you can screw it into wood so it stays put. The Parteiadler in the case indicates something special for a Nazi Unit (SS) rather than Wehrmacht. You see those on SS arms as well.

I've never heard of it either, but there it fucking is! That this was for an SS unit adds a ton of verisimilitude that it's for a sniper. Highly unlikely that an artillery or mortar unit would have such a device (but i suppose it's possible). The label could be something that a GI added when he snatched it. The piece itself looks legit to me.

So while I've never heard of that either, it's sort of hard to come up with an alternate explanation for the piece. You should contact him and ask him what makes him think that's the origin. He has another, larger, one that he is also claiming is from a sniper school. He may have providence. You don't know unless you ask.

Reactions: Im2bent
It would be quite the scam to find an anemometer with nazi stamps, look up a german sniper from that unit put his name on a label that you somehow aged to make it look like it was made in 1958. It's plausible ole Josef put his name on it at some later date but who knows. It is a nice looking piece.

Reactions: Darryle