• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Turret presses - RCBS v Lee Classic

zeeto

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
Southern Tier NY
I'm getting ready to order a turret press, but I keep going back and forth on these two turrets. I can't seem to find too much info on the RCBS, though.

Has anyone used both of these presses? or know if the RCBS is worth the extra $100? The only noticeable thing I see is that the RCBS is 6 hole...

Re: Turret presses - RCBS v Lee Classic

Here is my $.02 on the RCBS.

I have had one for around 10 years with 3 turrets. I used it mainly for loading BPCR's where I needed 4 dies per caliber. As long as I kept it well lubed, it is very smooth and the ammo loaded was excellent. The turrets are heavy, hell the whole thing is heavy, and I am not convinced that I really needed all those stations. I removed it from my bench top a year ago and have not felt bad about it.

I look at it this way. A single shot handgun (handrifle maybe?) will be easier to make shoot accurately easier than a revolver, in a pure accuracy for accuracy sake type of deal (Now if that revolver comes from say Hamilton Bowen or Freeedom Arms, well that's a different story). Is that turret lining up exactly in the same place for each hole? I don't know and it probably doesn't matter anyway, but I feel better taking that possible variance out of my ammo. Hell I need all the help I can get both physically and mentally!

In the end, it's your money, your time, and you'll never know til you try.

The Lee? Don't know. They make a great decapper die though.....

zeeto welocome to SnipersHide!

The only press I recommend is a Forster Co-Ax, its not a turret press, but die changes can be done in 2 seconds with no loss what so ever of there adjustments, it has more mechanical advantage v anyother press, that means its easier to use, no shell holders are required, and the spent primer retention has no equal, but if you have your heart set on a turret get a Redding T7

IMO if you want a good turret witout putting down a lot of cash go with the Lee. I have the Classic and it works well.

If money was not an issue I would go with the Redding T7 and bypass the RCBS.

If you are open to other options besides the turret style then the Forster Co-Ax would be well worth the look.

Lee is good as long as it's taken care of. take it slow, lube components well and all should be good. Biggest issue I had was moving to quick and having primers not seat right.

I use the Lee Classic turret (two actually) I have no complaints.

It runs fine and it was cheap. I get consistent results. If I change I'll likely get a Harrel but I don't see that happening anytime soon, think I'd rather buy bullets and powder.

Well, the RCBS costs a lot more while the Lee is the better press, overall. Other than that, there isn't much difference.

In a weak moment I bought a Lee Classic Turret press. I hate it. Heavy duty for the money but I'd spend the extra on the Redding if you need the speed. It might work fine for pistol cartridges, but I don't like it for rifle and that's all I load for now.

The problem? The turret has about .020" worth of 'slop' between the press raceway and the turret, so the 4 hole turret will raise up in the press on a slight angle with each upstroke. This makes accurately setting dies a challenge and also makes seating long rifle bullets squarely in the case impossible.

I got terrible accuracy from 3 different rifle cartridges in this press, using Redding competition dies. I went back to my single stage Redding press and the problems went away.

I might eventually get some 9mm dies for it and try that. Or use it for a boat anchor.