• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Twist Rate for 6.5X55 build?

TARFU

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
PA
Based on my previous post, I decided to build my R700 LA in 6.5X55 for a long range precision rifle. I gave up the idea of using this as a hunting rifle, as I can use my .308 to hunt deer. I am looking at the krieger #9 Heavy Target in an AICS. They offer 1:8, 1:8.5, and 1:9.

I know the twist rate should depend on the bullet you plan to shoot, but I don't know this caliber. What are your recommendations on bullet and twist rate? Thanks.

Re: Twist Rate for 6.5X55 build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on my previous post, I decided to build my R700 LA in 6.5X55 for a long range precision rifle. I gave up the idea of using this as a hunting rifle, as I can use my .308 to hunt deer. I am looking at the krieger #9 Heavy Target in an AICS. They offer 1:8, 1:8.5, and 1:9.

I know the twist rate should depend on the bullet you plan to shoot, but I don't know this caliber. What are your recommendations on bullet and twist rate? Thanks. </div></div>

How are you planning on using the AICS mags? 6.5x55 ain't gonna fit in a 300WM magazine.

1 in 8 in case you ever want to ahoot the heavies (150+) though currently they are only hunting bullets at that weight.

Sierra makes match kings from 107 up to 142 grains and lapua makes cenars at 123 and 139.

Excellent choice by the way, my Dad built an F-class rifle in 6.5x55 on a Rem LA. Shortly after, they closed the range where he was shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on my previous post, I decided to build my R700 LA in 6.5X55 for a long range precision rifle. I gave up the idea of using this as a hunting rifle, as I can use my .308 to hunt deer. I am looking at the krieger #9 Heavy Target in an AICS. They offer 1:8, 1:8.5, and 1:9.

I know the twist rate should depend on the bullet you plan to shoot, but I don't know this caliber. What are your recommendations on bullet and twist rate? Thanks. </div></div>

How are you planning on using the AICS mags? 6.5x55 ain't gonna fit in a 300WM magazine. </div></div>

Okay, thats a problem. I was going with the AICS to get away from the inletting, bottom metal, bedding jobs. I'm guessing they don't have a larger magazine for their LA stocks? Have to rethink this now...

Why would it not fit?
Because the 6.5 is not fat enough, or because it is too short? (I'm being serious, not a smart ass)
The C.O.L. for the 6.5 with 140 gain class bullets is shorter than the 300 WM with any bullet except the 110 grain.

Do they make a mag for the 30'06? it should work.

Or you might consider an HS precision LA stock.

Okay, I just looked it up in my Speer Manual. Max. OAL for 300 WM is 3.340 and max OAL for 6.5X55 is 3.150.

The long action AICS comes with a mag for 300WM right? Am I missing something?

Is 300 WM a better cartridge for a long range rifle? - I might have to get bolt work done here because the head dia. is .5320 on the WM and .4730 on the 30.06 (the current configuration). Case head on 6.5 swede is .4803 (which I'm told will work).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, I just looked it up in my Speer Manual. Max. OAL for 300 WM is 3.340 and max OAL for 6.5X55 is 3.150.

The long action AICS comes with a mag for 300WM right? Am I missing something?

Is 300 WM a better cartridge for a long range rifle? - I might have to get bolt work done here because the head dia. is .5320 on the WM and .4730 on the 30.06 (the current configuration). Case head on 6.5 swede is .4803 (which I'm told will work). </div></div>

Case lenght isn't the problem for the LA AICS. 6.5x55 is too long for the SA AICS/ .308 mags.....unless you have the 5rnd and keep your OAL short.

The lips are toowide on the LA 300 WM mags. I tried to bend the lips on the AI mags, but that wasn't happening....granted I didn't have this special tool, but this should tell you something about AI quality.