• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Two Questions

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
. I am measuring col with fired case that I put a bullet then close the bolt, ease it out, then measure length. Am I actually jammed into the lands when I do this?

2. Put a sav 1 trigger on my Stevens action. I have it set to 2 lbs with no creep and overtravel. When I pull the trigger with no round in chamber, while looking down range, I can see the crosshairs jump on the target. Any way to stop this?

Re: Two Questions

The answer to your first question will depend on the resistance between the case neck and the projectile.

What I do with my rounds is to cut 3 or 4 very thin slits in the neck of the case to create a collet. Doing this allows you to easily adjust the tension; and, it is reusable for a long time / with different projectiles.

I do the same thing or a variation, sometimes if you use a fired case and don't resize it or change the neck dimension the bullet may slide ride in and let you do the land jamming and get your length. Or use a bushing a little bigger than your normal bushing, or load a resized dummy and force it in, couple of things though, if you do the latter and you have a lot of bullet grab from the neck sometimes the bullet gets stuck in the lands and you must use a rod to get the bullet out, and if it's a loaded round you can get powder in ever nook and cranny!Kind of dangerous anyway unless your at the range. But if it's a factory barrel that land length may be longer than you can fit into the rifles magazine so you will need to back off your over all length anyway. The cross hair jump don't know, course if it returns to zero every time who cares, what kind of scope?

"1. I am measuring col with fired case that I put a bullet then close the bolt, ease it out, then measure length. Am I actually jammed into the lands when I do this?"

To some degree, yes.

"2. ...When I pull the trigger with no round in chamber, ... can see the crosshairs jump on the target. Any way to stop this?"

Put a fourty pound barrel on it. It has nothing to do with the trigger, it bounces because of the striker going home.