Unertl Parts

20211223_094544.jpg

Jeremy, I don't have any spare parts for Unertls right now. The last time I spoke with Parson's Scope Service they had a few spare parts. It's been a while so I don't know if they are still in business. You might be best off to keep an eye on ebay for a complete rear mount. If you want to keep the original black look you could buy one of the silver mounts and cannibalize it.

What is the spot on the windage housing that looks like solder? If it's soldered why was that done?

Jeremy, I don't have any spare parts for Unertls right now. The last time I spoke with Parson's Scope Service they had a few spare parts. It's been a while so I don't know if they are still in business. You might be best off to keep an eye on ebay for a complete rear mount. If you want to keep the original black look you could buy one of the silver mounts and cannibalize it.

What is the spot on the windage housing that looks like solder? If it's soldered why was that done?

Well I suspect it was to lock the threaded insert in place after the previous owner lost the click ring. Forgive me if I'm using the wrong part terminology. When I got to work on it the threaded post that goes into the mic was locked tight into it. Anyway that ball of solder is gone now. I removed it. The threaded insert on both mics have been threaded back in and I lockited them for good measure. The elevation turret is missing the detent spring. Ball was intact. The windage is missing ball, spring, and ring. What a shit show. I can easily get the balls and springs after I've made my measurements. The click ring is another story. I need to find that part.

The threaded insert on the elevation mic was loose too. That leads me to believe that the lack of clicks lead to the previous owner to try to lock the windage side. I tried to get ahold of DEWAYNE GREINER as his site says he has a full sight. But I'm not sure I can get ahold of him. I'll check with Parson's. By the way this is for a USMC Unertl.

Attachments

• 20211223_092533.jpg
    20211223_092533.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 85
If you were patient, you could make a new ring with a file. Or it could be made relatively easily on a mill with a dividing head and a bit turned at an angle.

Relatively easily is... relative. But for a USMC Unertl... probably worth it. I'd try the 'file' routine first. A good swiss file and a metal blank and you'd bang it out in an hour or so.

Cheers,

Sirhr

If you were patient, you could make a new ring with a file. Or it could be made relatively easily on a mill with a dividing head and a bit turned at an angle.

Relatively easily is... relative. But for a USMC Unertl... probably worth it. I'd try the 'file' routine first. A good swiss file and a metal blank and you'd bang it out in an hour or so.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I may have to do that!

Unsure if he is still taking emails but Aaron Davis was a Unertl employee that I believe now owns the name and he had a bunch of NOS left over parts. I bought some hard to find screws from him and he was great to deal with....

[email protected]

He did have a website on Ebay at one point selling parts.

If that is no good you may try Steve Earle

He is building replica Unertl mounts. Unsure if his parts are interchangeable with originals. Worst case buy one of his rears.

Unsure if he is still taking emails but Aaron Davis was a Unertl employee that I believe now owns the name and he had a bunch of NOS left over parts. I bought some hard to find screws from him and he was great to deal with....

[email protected]

He is building replica Unertl mounts. Unsure if his parts are interchangeable with originals. Worst case buy one of his rears.
I'll try Aaron. I emailed Steve last night. Ive got the shotgun out! Someone has to have something. You know, I can find springs for civil war guns easier than this. Jeez.

Jeremy

I'll try Aaron. I emailed Steve last night. Ive got the shotgun out! Someone has to have something. You know, I can find springs for civil war guns easier than this. Jeez.

Jeremy

Last contact with Aaron was 2018. Wish him well if you get in touch and let him know that there is a likely market for his services in the SH Vintage section.

[email protected]

I don't think Steve's stuff will interchange.

If it's me, I'd buy a similar diameter unertl, Rob the mounts off it, have them anodized, and put your current ones on the regular unertl.

The USMC scope is worth so much, it should be complete and functional. Either fix the other set and sell off again or sell as-is. You may take a $150-$200 hit but oh well.

Finding unertl rings that's not already married to a scope is tough. I have a set of external adjustable rings but they're not Unertl.

An update on this.... Steve Earle Products was kind enough to send me one of their parts. No charge. They definitely didn't have to do that! It fits and works. All be it the clicks are finer. My struggle now is getting a spring for the detent that provides the same feel as originals. I've spent a considerable amount with Lee Spring to get something close. I still need to find a spring with a higher lb rate. There isn't a whole lot of variety in 0.063 OD springs that are 5/8" long.

Ok last update. I'm lucky to have 2 scopes. I should have tore the other (complete) one all the way down originally. The incomplete scope was missing more parts than I thought. I thought it was missing 5/8" long springs. No! It was missing a 5/8" long pin. The proper spring is stuck at the base of the hole. It is soo stiff that when you stick a peg down to the base of the hole it gives you the feeling like that's the bottom, not the top of a spring. I did this originally to measure the blind hole depth. I was never able to pick the spring out of either scope to get the dimensions of it. However I can confirm the assembly is as such: some short stiff spring, 5/8" long .060" dia pin, and finally a detent ball.

I took some drill rod, cut to length, and filed to finish. Set the detent ball on top and presto. I really still want to see the spring at the bottom because it is insanely stiff for it's diameter.

The Steve Earle part is a perfect replacement, aside for it having finer clicks. Perhaps 1/4 moa vs 1/2 moa adjustment.