• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Unreliable AI AT Magazine, Aftermarket Options

Pioneer Paul

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2020
I purchased an Accuracy International AT in 308 a few months back from Eurooptic. I took it out and shot it for the first time last week. I am very pleased with the performance of rifle however the magazine that came with the rifle does not reliably feed when it gets down to 2-3 rounds. I think it might have to do with the tension of the spring but I do not know. Has anyone had similar issues? Looks like the only option to purchase additional AT mags right now is to backorder, so buying another one to test is tough. Are there any aftermarket mags produced by third parties that run well in an AT?

idk if there are any aftermarket AT mags...never needed one

but you can take the follower/spring assembly out of yours and bend it to your liking if you think thats the issue

you can stretch it to make it firmer overall or bend it so the front/rear has more/less pressure

@Pioneer Paul, buying a new mags won’t fix your problem. I bought 5 new AW mags a few months ago and none would feed reliably. The mags have way too little spring pressure and the ass end of the follower sags causing bolt over ride issues.

Pull the follower and spring out of the body. Stretch the spring out a bit and bend it to where the follower is parallel with the bottom leaf spring. When you get it out, this will make sense to you.

Reactions: Pioneer Paul
@Pioneer Paul, buying a new mags won’t fix your problem. I bought 5 new AW mags a few months ago and none would feed reliably. The mags have way too little spring pressure and the ass end of the follower sags causing bolt over ride issues.

Pull the follower and spring out of the body. Stretch the spring out a bit and bend it to where the follower is parallel with the bottom leaf spring. When you get it out, this will make sense to you.
Was this happening in an AI AT or another rifle that uses AW magazines?

-Stan

Was this happening in an AI AT or another rifle that uses AW magazines?

-Stan
An Aero Solus. This action has a 6:00 bolt lug that makes plenty contact with the case rim. The springs are so out of whack on these mags that there is barely enough spring tension to hold the front of the case against the feed lips. The rear sags. There is no quality control today in any industry. People stopped giving a shit it seems.

Reactions: stanley_white
An Aero Solus. This action has a 6:00 bolt lug that makes plenty contact with the case rim. The springs are so out of whack on these mags that there is barely enough spring tension to hold the front of the case against the feed lips. The rear sags. There is no quality control today in any industry. People stopped giving a shit it seems.
Well, they seem to work fine on AI rifles (not including chassis) using 308. I assume 6.5cm too, but I haven’t shot that through an AI.

Perhaps this is a case of of using a great mag on rifles that maybe weren’t completely designed around that mag. Still can use AICS mags on many of the same actions in question, for example.

However, with 6br and the HRD kit, my AW mags aren’t perfect with my AT or AX either (AX mags on the latter).

6br just wasn’t optimized for the AI either, obviously.

Reactions: Nik H
Well, they seem to work fine on AI rifles (not including chassis) using 308. I assume 6.5cm too, but I haven’t shot that through an AI.

Perhaps this is a case of of using a great mag on rifles that maybe weren’t completely designed around that mag. Still can use AICS mags on many of the same actions in question, for example.

However, with 6br and the HRD kit, my AW mags aren’t perfect with my AT or AX either (AX mags on the latter).

The CDG and Solus actions are designed around this mag. You must have also missed the opening post in this thread. 😂. The new mags, many at least, are not correct and this is demonstrably so. It’s a known thing that has been brought up in several threads.

Reactions: lash

The OP has a new AI AT rifle. He’s having mag issues. It’s not uncommon at all for the AW mags to need some spring adjustment at first.

The CDG and Solus actions are designed around this mag. You must have also missed the opening post in this thread. 😂. The new mags, many at least, are not correct and this is demonstrably so. It’s a known thing that has been brought up in several threads.
Oh, I thought they also could use an AICS. Apologies if this is not the case.

If they can use AICS, my point is often when a system can accept multiple inputs (AW & AICS), then it may not be as optimized as it could be for just one (AW).

They can use regular SSSF mags like the AICS, but often will require mag latch adjustments to do so.
No you were correct about that. Both I mentioned can use AICS magazines as well. I just meant they both were designed designed with a 6:00 lug to be compatible with AW magazines. Once the AW mag springs are adjusted, they work well.
I updated my post a little while you guys were writing. But, good to hear things are working out with a bit of tweaking.

Reactions: lash and wade2big
The OP has a new AI AT rifle. He’s having mag issues. It’s not uncommon at all for the AW mags to need some spring adjustment at first.
It wasn’t but a few years ago that Tikka CTR mags where having an identical issue. I had to do the same to those mags along with everyone else. A member here posted photos that were a big help.

Thank you.

-Stan