• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

! UPDATE! My new chassis or stock

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
I know this may not be the perfect spot for showing this but since we do compete with the LR rifle guys at our local 1000 yard matches it does kinda fit it.

Before I start with the pictures this same basic design is also going to be built for rifles, the stock will be 4 inches longer on the front and have a detachable shoulder piece. I believe a Savage rifle stock/chassis will be first with Remington to follow although mine is the same as a 660 rifle action.

We've been using laminated center grip wooden stock since we started using these LR pistols at the matches and have done reasonably well against some pretty high dollar custom LR rifles. I've always wanted to stay with a 15" barrel length and overall build that IHMSA silhouette used for their unlimited class pistols. I found out that a Remington 700 rifle trigger would fit right onto my action and get rid of that center grip trigger setup so one was purchased used from a fellow Hide member which made this a rear grip which should be a lot better suited for this long range shooting at small targets.

As with any game the equipment evolves and if you don't step up you are passed and catchup is not a fun way to play the long range game. I'm not a believer that you need to have $10,000 customs, a few of us built Savages and never find ourselves being outgunned at the matches. Decent equipment is a must and lots of quality rounds sent downrange will move you up the winners list much faster than throwing money at top shelf stuff and low skill levels.

OK, for those that aren't pissed off yet here is what I've had made in conjunction with a fellow LR pistol shooter and machinist.

This is the stock 7Fingers initially made for his Undesignated Savage action he built as a LR pistol by hand on an old Bridgeport Mill. He'll also be making this for Striker actions. I mentioned I'd love to have something like that for my center grip XP-100.

randy6xc1.jpg

Initial design after a couple shape modifications to add more weight. I am hoping to be able to seem hits/misses as easily as with our rifles.

randy2stockmodification.jpg

It's been a slow process setting this all up on the CNC mill but the workmanship is outstanding.

newxpstockfromrandy.jpg

newstockgrooves.jpg

He added a nifty push button bolt release in the stock so you don't have to use a small screwdriver or allen wrench to hold the bolt stop down to release the bolt.

closeupofboltrelease.jpg

Finally have the action bolted in and perfect fit.

newstockboltside3.jpg

All done with finishing and rounding off all edges.

stockwithactionandmount.jpg

It now has the little etching I requested on the left hand side of the action. Not being cocky but 1000 yards really wasn't a big deal with the old configuration and we're hoping this one will move us up a bit more with a few more hits on the small higher value targets next year.

closeupofetchingonlefts.jpg

This still has my old barrel which is shot out and the new McGowen pre-fit hasn't come in yet. Going to be a 16 inch in 260rem with a 1 inch full bull barrel. The new action will be powder coated in Candy Red while the grooves and etchings will maintain the aluminium color. Might be flashy but what the heck, if it don't shoot it'll sure shine in the sun.
smile.gif

This pistol stock weights 6 pounds by itself and until the new heavy barrel comes we really don't know what the total weight will be. Yeah, I expect to get the "It's really just a rifle without a shoulder stock" and yeah it probably is but think about not having cheek weld or shoulder pressure and all the other things that go into making a good shot with your LR rifle and this does have it's own learning curve to learn to shoot at those distances.

Can't wait till Saturday to get to try it out with the bad barrel but will see how it's going to perform and handle. Will post updates with some groups and video and hopefully the new Candy Red hue which should cut any group size in half just cause it'll look cool.

Topstrap

Re: My new custom stock

Couple more pictures, only thing left is powder coat then hope the new barrel gets here to finish it up and get it all tested. Should look a lot better with the 1" heavy barrel in that stock.

stockinactionbipodright.jpg

stockinactionbipodlefts.jpg

Topstrap

Just got back from dropping my reargrip XP off to 7fingers to do the pre-lems and work some more magic, I got to see and fondle Topstraps stock,[sorry Dennis],its fantastic,the posted pictures do not do this work of art justice and its not coated or painted yet !! By looks alone ,I can see points added to the scoreboard, LOL ! If you are interested in longrange pistol work,this should do the trick . If all goes as planned we should have 4 being used in Rayner's Feb. match, ''weather premitting'',a good way to start off the new season !!!

New barrel hasn't shown up yet but did get the stock back. Was waiting on the Powder Coater guy and he just could not get the finish we were all hoping for so we left it in the raw aluminium finish which I'm thinking of keeping now. Really lets you see the detail and workmanship that went into creating this piece of art.

Can't give any group sizes till the new barrel comes in, this one has opened up enough to not be able to hit the smaller higher value targets at our LR matches so it's time for a new one. Got a 16" McGowen 1" full bull Rem-Age style barrel in 260 ordered and hopefully will be here in a couple of weeks to get more information on how it's going to react and group.

Pictures, here they are. Was getting dark but wanted to get some up. Should really help with keeping up with the LR rifle guys this summer and the main goal was to be able to see hits/misses with the heavier rear grip design. Also hoping to be able to shoot this prone in various positions to be able to try some of the more tactical/sniper type matches if they'll let us compete with it. Only a single shot so times stages might be tough but didn't build it to be easy or be like everyone else.

[url="http://imageshack.us/a/img685/8226/guninstock1.jpg"]http://imageshack.us/a/img685/8226/guninstock1.jpg[/url][/IMG)
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img132/8735/guninstock2.jpg
guninstock3.jpg

guninstock4.jpg

guninstock6.jpg

guninstock7.jpg

guninstock8.jpg

Plans are for a similiar design for rifles using an attachable stock and longer forend.

Topstrap

nice pistol. One of my favorite pistols to shoot was a bolt action in 7-08...easy to shoot (don't recall the action- think 700)

On finishing...consider doing a hydrodip with a urathane clear coat...ceramic clear coat is also an option both of which you can do yourself.

I'd also look at doing a 1 turn barrel setback. You'll have a backup bbl for when the new one gets here and very well may be able to get it done prior to the other barrel arriving.

No recoil on this caliber and stock design at all. Was a centergrip 260 for the past 3 1/2 years that we used at our local 1000 yard steel plate matches. An older version that we shot was a sporter barrel with no muzzle brake in 7-08 pretty much the same as an IHMSA silhouette pistol except for an adjustable mount and scope did recoil a bit more but don't fight it, just ride it out and it shot excellent for what it was. Here is a lil video of it but it's been converted to another 260 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJyqvJbfoY

Below my name is a couple videos showing these being shot, they really don't recoil but just take a while to get used to and set up for this LR shooting.

Topstrap

The vids are awesome, now I need to give a go to a new discipline
smile.gif

It seems kind of silly now pondering all the barrel length threads considering the hits you´re making with a 16" "pistol" setup...

whats the recoil like on that thing? also would be great to see a vid on how you shoot it.

on a side note looks like something robocop carries in a holster.

edit- found the vids.