• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Update on the new barrel on my .22 Mag.

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,

Back in February I did a post here on how I burned my .22 Mag barrel (~13000 rounds) and had it replaced, which brought the rig back to normal accuracy. A couple of weeks ago the new barrel reached 500 rounds. So, I thought it would be a good idea to shoot a 30-shot group. The aim point was a 1/4 inch dot .6 mils above the impact points. I never shoot that size group but I wanted to see if my perceived accuracy - 1.25 inches max spread with a mean of .5 inches or less was reality.

And, it is. Below is the image of the group. It matched my perception shooting smaller groups to a T. The measured max spread was 1.2 inches. the main "blob" of shots was considerably smaller - .489 inches center to center. Six shots were outside the blob. That's 20% of all shots. 80% of the shots were inside the blob. Obviously I can't run the mean radius from the center of the group accurately by measuring each shot using Hornady's 4DOF app so fudged that number by dividing the blob by 2. That came out to a mean of .244 - just for the 24-shots in it.

I shot with a SEB front rest and a special order tailored rear bag to get myself out of the equation as much as possible.The wind was not corrected for and I measured it as a full value 3~6 from 9 o'clock (left). Distance was 106-yards. Used my barrel's favorite ammo - 30g Hornady VMAX at a 30-shot average of 2,235 fps.

Overall, a happy camper....

i-vBsnVgx-L.jpg

Last edited: