• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Update/ Pics consecutive S/N 40x's

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
I've been contacted by an older gentleman about a set of consecutive S/N standard barrel 40X's that he wants to sell. I know the man and I've seen the two rifles several years ago. If my memory serves they are both very nice rifles and they have the correct Redfield sights. Both are US marked and he bought them from a person that use to work at CMP so I'm sure that's the source of both rifles. I do not want these two but I've agreed to help him sell them. I have in my mind what I would pay for them but I'm cheap so I'm going to say that they may be worth more to a collector than to me as I'm more a shooter. It'll be Sunday before I can get pictures and a full description as I don't feel one can do a proper job by him telling me over the phone. So what do you all feel is a ball park figure for both rifles in good to very good condition?

Re: What'sa set of consecutive S/N 40x's are worth

I don't agree. That's the market price with out sights and sold alone. The CMP get's from 3 to 5 grand for correct grade HRA Garands with consecutive numbers so I believe thier worth a fair bit more. But we'll see. May have to list them on Gun Broker and let the auction junkies have a shot at them. Donald

You might try rimfirecentral. I have 8 CMP 40xs with sights. I didnt pay more than 750 to 850 for any of them. That is what i am basing my guess off of. There is one for sale on Benchrest central with sights and 20x Unertal for 1250. I hope you get more it can happen you just have to find the right buyer.

I sold a single as-new, and I do mean as-new as in possibly not fired as I could find no crown wear from the bullets exiting the muzzle, complete rifle with the sights in the boxes for $1200 2 years ago and was told I left money on the table. I'd say the pair could bring about $3000 from the right buyer if that nice.

40xreceiverrt.jpg

That's true. You got to reach the right buyer. I've asked at RFC also. I've sold several here and on RFC in the last few months so I feel I have a good idea what they will be worth alone. As for that I've got a list of five hide members that have asked me for a 40X so I'll not worried about finding a buyer. I'm curios to know if as a matched pair will they creat additional value. They mey not and have to be sold seperate. And until I take photo's and inspect them value is just a wild ass guess anyway. If they were mine I would not even care as I would just list them and see where it goes. I'm going to try and do right by a friend so that's why I'm asking. Donald

deadly, LL runs an algorithm that calculates how fast new users accumulate posts on the 'hide. He gives that list to me once a month. You can use your own imagination as to what the 20mm is for.

It's October 2nd - do you care to guess who's at the top of the new list?

Ninehotel how did the 20mm in the back ground feed in the 40X?

Seriously I'm sure I'd remember if they were that nice and I don't. I think they are about 90% if memory serves and that's a few years back so who knows how they have been treated. I'm guessing to the right guy somewhere between 22 and 25 hundred? But condition, condition and condition will drive that boat. If they are only fair I'm leaning towards 1000 a piece. As single rifles I feel less. Donald

Bet you wish you had that one back? Nice looking piece.

Don that's my key fob - I have that in my hand when playing landlord and out collecting late rent payments. Never tried to stick it in the 40X but will consider doing so with the next one I get.

Stuff comes and goes; you know how it is. I chose to put it in the hands of someone that could appreciate it in their collection rather than break it up and build a trainer out of it. The idea was to fund the trainer off the proceeds from the nice one but that has not happened yet.

Good luck with the sale. I suspect you are gonna be in the grand apiece range with sights plus a 10% premium for the pair if they are 90% condition of mine above.

You'd have to really find the right buyer to get any more than they are worth individually. To me, they wouldn't be worth any more since they aren't really a "set" of 40x rifles, just consecutive numbers. He shouldn't have any trouble selling them if they are even in ok shape. Eventually, I will have one too.

Don, if you know what consecutive S/N Garands go for and what a single Garand goes for, why not use the same multiple for a single 40x? Seems fairly straightforward, the trick is always finding the right buyer.

Well a consecutive set of M1's will bring more as the condition of the rifle improves. Two rack grades would only add maybe 100 bucks, maybe not even that. Two correct SA/GHS WWII rifles will add at least 500 dollars even more sometimes. So it's relative I guess to the value or the rifles themselves. If the condition is good on the 40x is 50 dollars correct and if they are great is it 200. I'm not sure each will bring a 200 premium for consecutive numbers even it they are cherry. And there does not seem to be any real interest in them as a pair so I'm not sure how to advise my buddy. Thier already sold if I advise to split them up as I'm at eight emails now for a single rifle. Hell I'd buy them if I didn't have five safe's full of rifles I don't shoot already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold a single as-new, and I do mean as-new as in possibly not fired as I could find no crown wear from the bullets exiting the muzzle, complete rifle with the sights in the boxes for $1200 2 years ago and was told I left money on the table. I'd say the pair could bring about $3000 from the right buyer if that nice.
</div></div>

And what a nice rifle it is. I wish I'd had the money to put it into my safe but I still get to visit it from time to time.

Don let me know if you decide on a price for the pair. There is a possibility that I may have a buyer for you.

Was talking to a friend of mine who's a big gun junkie and horse trader an brought this post up in conversaton.

He said If I'm describing it right , these should bring as a pair, in the 5,000.00-6,000.00 range. as long as they are together.
I was thinking 3-$4,00.00

Well went by and picked up both rifles today. It was dark before I got home so pictures will have to wait for day light. One rifle is very nice and has seen little use; the other has been shot some and shows more handling than the first. Sold alone 1000 bucks would be on the high side for either one I think. Owner wants more than that and market forces will determine if he's correct or if I am. I'm going to test fire them tomorrow and get some pictures if the rain here lets off long enough. I've sold several 40X's here in the last few months and these are no better or worse than any of them as far as condition if that helps. Thanks for the replies and I'm post them as soon as I have the photos.

Here are the two rifles. S/N 14888 and 14889. One rifle would be like new if it had not been banged up by some idiot. The other is well used but still in good condition. both have about the same amount of stock dings and dents. The metal has some scrapes and other than wear on the one that has seen more use is about the same. Both have redfield sights and the used one has the correct S/N on the bolt the other has no s/n on bolt. There's no stock cracks and nothing appears to be mechaniclly wrong with them. I did not shoot them today. Rained to much so I'll shoot them later. Bores are great so there's no reason to believe they will not shoot well. So here's a peak and I'll link to more photo's for those that are interested. Donald

http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/uu34/donws2/consecutive%2040X%20rifles/

DSC03923.jpg

DSC03924.jpg

DSC03925.jpg

DSC03926.jpg

DSC03933.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

Don I wish you would quit posting these damn 40X's!

BTW, the Lyman is a hoot. Tracks well and is bright enough for my purposes. Good deal all the way around.

The 52D shoots in the low .2's with SK Match (which has been discontinued?!!) and Unertl UV 15X on it. Had the trigger too light for a few shots. Very interesting...

Dale you'll have to close the bolt slowly on that one. If it's still to light increase the sear engagement. It's the forward most screw. It may not be seen from the out side and the trigger guard may have to be removed. Try Champion shooters for the SK Match. I got a case a few month's ago and they had plenty at the time. Donald

I will have to try sear engagement next time I shoot it.

I bought 1k each SK Match and Wolf ME. The ME is @ .27ish with the SK @ .24ish. Not much of a difference to be sure, but with 10 10 shot groups each, it's there. 5 shot groups are VERY good, but why?

Thought it did not like ELEY black box, but I wuz wrong. I don't want to be called a liar, but the rifle backs me up. Wish I had lots more of it, but daammnn!

Now, a 40X. Only thing missing is $$. Wish I could have nabbed that 40X earlier, but I will get one soon enough.

Keep a brother posted.

Well shot both rifles yesterday. Weather was overcast skies with very little wind. About perfect. Only shot at 50 yards with iron sights. both will hold 1/2 inch at that distance for five shots with either SK Match or Wolf Match Target. Groups are fairly round so I believe the groups are a true indication of what they will shoot with fut the irons. Problems were found on both. The used rifle was missing the ball detent for the safety. This allowed the safety to be bumped off safety with ease. I've corrected that as I feel it's a big no no. The other rifle is very thight. The bolt is both hard to open and close. Headspace appears fine so I feel the bolt needs to be lapped into the action and as the rifle is not mine I'm not about to go there. The bolt and trigger on the less used rifle were also gummed up with old oils. I cleaned the bolt as I started out with light primer strikes. That problem is solved but the trigger is like breaking a iron rod. In a word, hard. Needs a detailed cleaning and to be re-adjusted. Trigger is heavy for me on the used rifle also, but at least it pulls cleanly. I was able to talk the owner at least part of the way off the high mountain on price. If anyone is interested I'll be listing them in a few hours on the forsale board. Thanks again for all the imput. Donald